The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Botticello
bigger surface area as well

not compared to our body size though
Reply 21
Males have a higher surface area of living tissue to females as they are usually taller and have larger/denser muscle mass.

Females have a very high proportion of fat which is not living and so does not need energy, infact it is an insulator and so lowers the energy needed as less heat is lost / wasted so more of the energy produced is used.
Reply 22
Carlo08
Girls also dont like microbes as they enter there body and may invade body cells by binding to a corresponding receptor eg the cd4 on a thelper cell and then inserting there nucleic acid, next intergrse and reverse transcriptase will allow the nucleic acid to be interted into the host genome. Here it hijacks the cell and produced multiple coppied of itsself which are then assembled, bud out of the cell and spread to new ones where this process is repeated.

So yea girls dont like alot of things.

on the topic of microbes... why is it that if you take your full course of antibiotics and some microbes due to mutations still survive, that the body can get rid of the mutated ones.. BUT if you don't take your full course of antibiotics, then they survive?
Reply 23
Im not too sure but i will have a go using what i know about this.

If you take your full couse then it will kill off more of the unmutated ones which then leaves your body free to fight off the mutates ones on there own.

If you stop taking them before you finish you may have lots of unmutated ones left which the body must deal with ontop of the new mutated ones.
Reply 24
Carlo08
Im not too sure but i will have a go using what i know about this.

If you take your full couse then it will kill off more of the unmutated ones which then leaves your body free to fight off the mutates ones on there own.

If you stop taking them before you finish you may have lots of unmutated ones left which the body must deal with ontop of the new mutated ones.

i see.. :smile:
20% of body energy is consumed by brain and as boys use their brain much more often than girls they have higher energy consumption

Reply 26
UAG
20% of body energy is consumed by brain and as boys use their brain much more often than girls they have higher energy consumption

haha! did you know a guy's brain weighs more than a girls? probably because he eats too much due to his higher energy consumption and then doesn't use his brain and so his brain gets obese piling up with fat tissue:smile:
thread starter said
Bateman
not compared to our body size though

proportionally our brain has same size :P
Reply 28
UAG
thread starter said

proportionally our brain has same size :P

my brain can't cope with what youre trying to say? huh?
Reply 29
Hes saying that if 2 people are the same size then there brains will also be around the same size
Reply 30
Carlo08
Hes saying that if 2 people are the same size then there brains will also be around the same size

oh.. but in my history text book it said that one of the arguments against woman's suffrage was that women's brains weighed lesss and so were not capable of politics.. so i dunno...
bigger in size
higher muscle %
more active?
ummm
Carlo08
Boys have more muscle therefore a higher BMR (Basil metabolic rate - the energy consumption at rest for body processes) since muscle is living tissue. Girls have higher body fat therefore are more insulated and so require less energy to maintain body temp.

Boys generally do more manual work therefore requiring more energy.

Basil? That is a herb! Are you sure you meant basil? :smile:
Reply 33
Mathematician!

Erm... yup, its erm ... the rate at which your body breaks bown basil :p:
Reply 34
Mathematician!

that's what i thought.. best not argue.. he has biology a level.. :biggrin:
Reply 35
lol it was a typo, i meant basal metabolic rate - the energy consumption of your body at rest used for body processes :biggrin:
Reply 36
Carlo08
lol it was a typo, i meant basal metabolic rate - the energy consumption of your body at rest used for body processes :biggrin:

have you ever watched that irratating basil briush fox on tv? aghhhhh:mad:

Latest