The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Optometry at Huddersfield

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Optomstudent256
I did it last year, I'm on optometry now. The course was 4-5 days a week. Occasionally we had 3 day weeks but hardly anything less. Keep in mind that there are a lot of students on the foundation year and only a select number of them get onto optometry.

Hi if you don't mind me asking what's the actual degree like please?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi if you don't mind me asking what's the actual degree like please?

Optometry? Or the foundation year?
Optometry:
I sort of just did the course cause it was the best option, really went in blind without knowing what it was like, however as the year went on I grew into it and now I’m enjoying it a lot. Course wise you have 5 modules, a lot of content. The biology aspects are good but there’s a lot of theory in first year which I didn’t like, you get a chance to do practical (once a week this year cause of covid).

Foundation Year: hated every minute of it. They take as many students as they can (I’ve heard there’s 220 this year) and only 20 can get into pharmacy or optometry. Haven’t used anything I learnt on the foundation year during my degree.
Optometry:
I sort of just did the course cause it was the best option, really went in blind without knowing what it was like, however as the year went on I grew into it and now I’m enjoying it a lot. Course wise you have 5 modules, a lot of content. The biology aspects are good but there’s a lot of theory in first year which I didn’t like, you get a chance to do practical (once a week this year cause of covid).

Foundation Year: hated every minute of it. They take as many students as they can (I’ve heard there’s 220 this year) and only 20 can get into pharmacy or optometry. Haven’t used anything I learnt on the foundation year during my degree.

Is there a lot of practical work and are you on your feet a lot ?
Optometry? Or the foundation year?

Optometry degree
And thanks

Yes you have a whole module related to practical/clinical skills. And it varies depending on the technique being used and whether you prefer standing or sitting
Yes you have a whole module related to practical/clinical skills. And it varies depending on the technique being used and whether you prefer standing or sitting

Are there any societies etc. that students are encouraged to join?
Are there any societies etc. that students are encouraged to join?

So with it being a new course introduced in 2019, there was a small number of students before covid hit. Then with covid no ones really bothered with the optometry society as they can’t meet so unfortunately not yet. Im sure once things get back to normality, the society will be better.

Are you applying to Huddersfield?
hi did you the science extended degree I'm doing this too did you get 70%
No I got 63, there was less competition for places last year due to a level results being bad at first so they took more students from SED (30)

This year they’re taking a lot less I’ve heard
Original post by haffza_x
hi did you the science extended degree I'm doing this too did you get 70%

How much % are you on now?

hi @Optomstudent256 for the science extended degree did you pass al the modules with 70%
No I got 63, there was less competition for places last year due to a level results being bad at first so they took more students from SED (30)

This year they’re taking a lot less I’ve heard

really i thought there was 68 places for optom this year so there were going to take on more people from the sed and its been really hard this year because its been all online and the physics exam was awful
hi @Optomstudent256 for the science extended degree did you pass al the modules with 70%

Hi, no as mentioned above I got around 63, but passed all modules
Hi, no as mentioned above I got around 63, but passed all modules

yhea so far im over 50% for all modules but we have just completed some assessments and waiting for final grades and we have about 180 people this year
really i thought there was 68 places for optom this year so there were going to take on more people from the sed and its been really hard this year because its been all online and the physics exam was awful

There are 68, but they said they’d take 15-20 from SED and the rest a levels/ btec.

Have you finished all the exams?
yhea we finished all of them last Fridays just wish me luck ,but like people are not doing so good
There are 68, but they said they’d take 15-20 from SED and the rest a levels/ btec.

Have you finished all the exams?

yhea we finished all of them last Fridays just wish me luck ,but like people are not doing so good

Ah I see, last year there were no exams, they just doubled the coursework marks. You should be fine, if you collectively get over 70% (do better in some modules and worse in others) I’m sure they still give an interview
Ah I see, last year there were no exams, they just doubled the coursework marks. You should be fine, if you collectively get over 70% (do better in some modules and worse in others) I’m sure they still give an interview

yhea i hope so thankyou for the info i just hope i get in optom its my dream

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending