The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Optometry at Huddersfield

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Optomstudent256
I did the foundation year aswell, It's honestly not too difficult as long as you focus. I have a few friends who got 70+ coming from only doing btecs so you'll be fine

Hi
could you tell me more about the topic within the modules ?Are they at a level level or are they harder?Also i have an offer from the university of manchester to study pharmacy with a foundation year so i am really unsure on what to do.Could you tell me more about your experience ?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am also on this course and they did say there are 30 places (subject to change). I have already been at Huddersfield for a year and got my place through a foundation year :smile:

Hi
could you share more about your experience of the foundation year ?how was it in terms of difficulty ?was it really hard to progress on to the pharmacy/optometry course?Was it hard in obtaining the 70%?As someone who didnt take A level science but Btec do you think i will struggle in obtaining this percentage?
wait sorry i have a question what subjects do you need to do optometry
Original post by soaosaoid
Hi
could you tell me more about the topic within the modules ?Are they at a level level or are they harder?Also i have an offer from the university of manchester to study pharmacy with a foundation year so i am really unsure on what to do.Could you tell me more about your experience ?

It's all A level stuff, to get pharmacy you need 70%. Its doable however i found the work tedious and honestly it didn't help me at all. I just got on with it i feel like a learnt nothing
It's all A level stuff, to get pharmacy you need 70%. Its doable however i found the work tedious and honestly it didn't help me at all. I just got on with it i feel like a learnt nothing

What kind of A level topics were taught in the examinations for Chemistry, biology and Maths and physics.
(edited 1 year ago)

Im really worried that i might struggle with the content and not get 70% as i didnt do a level science but double btec applied science ?Also was the maths and physics at a level (level ) because that seems quite scary and difficult
Reply 66
Hi, did you do the science extended degree?
Reply 67
I did it last year, I'm on optometry now. The course was 4-5 days a week. Occasionally we had 3 day weeks but hardly anything less. Keep in mind that there are a lot of students on the foundation year and only a select number of them get onto optometry.

Roughly how many got in from your year?
Is anyone starting optom at Huddersfield this year ?
Yep :smile:
How many people have a laptop in lectures as I'm not sure if I want to be taking in my laptop everyday? Also will I need to take a laptop during freshers week
i amm, do you know if there’s any group-chats or anything?
Is anyone starting optom at Huddersfield this year ?
How many people have a laptop in lectures as I'm not sure if I want to be taking in my laptop everyday? Also will I need to take a laptop during freshers week

Hi Anon,

It just depends how you prefer to take notes, in your seminars and lectures you will most likely need to take and make notes, depends on how you work best. If you'd prefer to do it on your laptop, then look to take that, whereas if you feel you can rely on notebooks and pen, that's fine too.

The library has 7 floors of PCs if you need to access a computer and in most schools there are computer lab rooms so if you do need use of a computer outside of your teaching, you will easily be able to access one :smile:

Most of our systems are mobile friendly too or have mobile apps so you can also access most of what you need from your phone anyway.

Many thanks,
Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending