The Student Room Group

Funding for a mature student going to college

Im 25 and going back to college or hope so, but the only funding I can seem to get is £30 a week adult grant when I need more to pay rent, and the course needs loads of extras like on enrollment a £20 registration fee, £50 for a visit(its travel and tourism) £25 for a hoodie then I have to pay rent on a place.

I would just get a job but the course is Monday to Friday full time so around 40 hours a week so getting a job would affect the course especially as you need a lot of extra cirricular activities.

My friend was at college 2 years ago and full time and got full housing benefit so I was going to contact council tommorow and ask.

TBH I was expecting a mainenance grant to fnd me as I was at college when I was 17-19 and got one so assumed even though I was an adult id get similar.

Its terrible though as how can mature learners get back into education.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can only get a grant/loan if you're in higher education, which I don't agree with.
Reply 2
You get hardly any help on FE courses. On my access course which I've just finished, I applied for help direct from the college, as they had a Learner Support fund, so I got half my course and nursery fees paid for.

You might be able to get help off your council including a reduction in council tax, but try giving Learn Direct a call to see what funding you could get (if any) - they put me in touch with a local 'surestart' project funded by the EU, helping lower income families out. (Although they were no help to me!)

http://www.learndirect.co.uk 0800 100 900

Good luck x
Reply 3
I think students are exempt from council tax.
Reply 4
Sadly there's not really many options in terms of finance for mature students at FE level and if your course exceeds 15 hours a week you probably won't be entitled to benefits either. I did an access course to get into uni last year and the only way I could meet my rent was to work night shifts stacking shelves and weekends in a bar.

Have you considered doing an access course this year and applying for travel and tourism at university instead? Most access courses run for less than 15 hours a week so you can continue with benefits etc. If you went to uni in September you'll get plenty of finance as a 26 year old and you'd end up with a degree as well.
Reply 5
Well its a bit late to apply now for uni isnt it, as I thought that plus it looks bad.

Looking at the local uni in the town I want to go to they do do a tourism degree and do a foundation year.
Reply 6
you wont get anything from the government if your course is more than 16 hours a week. I would have thought if you was in "full time education" (more than 16 hours a week) then you would be entitled to some sort of loan, how are you meant to live otherwise! As someone said earlier, another route into uni is by doing an access course (which is under 16 hours a week), and you can therefore claim JSA and get dole money and your rent paid, as well as the access course fees paid. However, the jobcentre do say you have to be actively seeking work, and if you get offered a job you must do that instead. Tbh you have to blag the jobcentre while your on the course and make sure you dont get a job. Im afraid to say that the class divide is still alive and kicking in the u.k, but if you really want to get into uni it can be done, just dont tell our freinds at the jobcentre the truth
Reply 7
Well I have the points to get into uni now just not the qualifications, I was rejected from 3 unis last year I had the points but not A level English though im qualified in HNC Media and ND Media. They all said though just do the A level and reapply this year and id be accepted.

But instead I just worked for a while.

I wanted college as well as wanted to be eased into the course instead of rushing straight into a degree I might not be good at.
Reply 8
If you get certain means tested benefits, you're not entitled to Adult Learning Grant.
Reply 9
there is no help for FE unless you have some special circumstances. single parents received £30 a week, free childcare and could claim some beneifts to get by. as i'm not a single parent i couldnt afford to put my son in childcare but was lucky in that my partner is a chef and works afternoon/evenings. i had to pick all the morning courses i didnt want to fit round him and often leave early. we still had to live with my parents for the 9 months of my course as we couldnt afford it otherwise.

i think its a bit mean tbh, i wouldnt have minded a loan to help me through, i wasnt expecting a grant. if i had a 9-5 partner and no free accommodation i wouldnt be going to uni. hardly makes it open to all does it?
Reply 10
Thursday316
there is no help for FE unless you have some special circumstances. single parents received £30 a week, free childcare and could claim some beneifts to get by.

Assuming you mean ALG, people on benefits can't get them.
had the same problem here, got a 1 year old and husband working full time, hopefully the adult learning grant, and adult learning fund from the college should go someway towards paying for the childcare, i think the rest will come from my sons child benifit. and scam the job seekers for a little bit. bad i know but if they want people to better themselves they need to give a bit more help than they are at the moment. (not just the single moms/dads on below average wage) rant over lol!!! if anybody has any other ideas how to grab money it is most welcome here too!!!!
Reply 12
kazzmaniandevil
if anybody has any other ideas how to grab money it is most welcome here too!!!!

Get a job like everyone else has to?
erm right so look after a 1 year old nutter full time, do college full time, keep a house, do college work. u offering extra hours in the day with that comment?
Reply 14
kazzmaniandevil
erm right so look after a 1 year old nutter full time, do college full time, keep a house, do college work. u offering extra hours in the day with that comment?

College 'full time' is usually only 12-15 hours.
Titch89
College 'full time' is usually only 12-15 hours.

And being a parent is 24/7!

Paying for college, paying for childcare, paying for rent and food and bills doesn't work on a part time job.

And a part time job doesn;'t REALLY fit around a small child + college.
OP;

Apply to the college's student fund. (You need to do this through the college). Last year, my college paid half my fees (the other half had been paid when I ran into difficulties) and helped with little things like fuel costs back and forth to college (there was no bus route). I also know they helped with things like childcare (like subsidised places at the college nursery) and things like that.
thank u spotty dog, glad u said that!!!! im guessing titch hasnt got any kids??? could be wrong. All i was requesting was info on other financial assistance other than the alg and alf. didnt really require a rude comment did it?.
kazzmaniandevil
thank u spotty dog, glad u said that!!!! im guessing titch hasnt got any kids??? could be wrong. All i was requesting was info on other financial assistance other than the alg and alf. didnt really require a rude comment did it?.

It's ok. :smile: Some people don't think their posts through first.

I trust you're doing all the 'regular' money saving stuff? Like cutting down your bills etc?

Other than the funds from the college that you may get access to, I would also suggest a chat with the CAB because they often have knowledge about funds that aren't well known, or ways to get money you didn't expect to.

Also, I would consider attempting to make money online - I mae £50 for free through Quidco, and am racking up the sums to various search sites. There's also pay-per-search sites too. Every little helps with a little one. :smile:
ta for that, been to citizens advice who gave me a bit of info but unfortunatly not entiled to it as my husband earns too much. waiting for the college to send the forms for the alf so im hoping that the majority of the childcare will be paid by that. luckly am quite used to living on a budget. husband has just finished his college course so im sure we will be absoutly fine. thank you for ur help.

Latest

Trending

Trending