The Student Room Group

Colchester Sixth Form College

Hi, I'm in year 10 atm and I've pretty much got my heart set on going to the Colchester Sixth Form College to do my a levels. :smile: Does anyone here go there? I was just wondering what kind of grades I'd need to achieve at GCSE?

I live in Ipswich, does that make it harder to get a place?

Do you find it good? :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure this will help.
http://www.colchsfc.ac.uk/

I do have a few friends who went there, living in Chelmsford, and they always spoke highly of it.

And this for travel.
Its only a train ride away.
Any student resident in Suffolk and within 75 minutes public transport journey to College can apply for a discretionary pass from Suffolk County Council - £121; if journey time is over 75 mins - £176. Per term. Apply directly to Suffolk County Council, Transport Section, Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich IP1 2BX. Telephone 01473 265064 ‘Explore’ (Suffolk Youth) Card - Suffolk residents under the age of 19 are entitled to apply for one of these FREE cards which give discounted travel on all bus and train services in Suffolk and across the Essex border to Colchester. Discounted rail travel is only available off-peak. Visit the website for details: http://explore.suffolkonboard.com or phone 0845 6066 067.
Reply 2
thanks for that :smile:
Reply 3
CallumMc
thanks for that :smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 4
I go there just finished my first year and starting A2.
So if you need anything just message me in the thread or pm. I'm happy to help.

ps. you'd be very surprised how far people travel to colchester sixth form, its crazy. I know hundreds from Ipswich and that way. The same with Chelmsford, Braintree, Southend, Sudbury and further afield.
I'm just lucky I live in a village next to Colchester so its not very far!

:smile:
Wheyy! Colchester Sixth Form
Starting there in August
Im starting there this august/september!!! I had my induction yesterday. it was really good. There was loads of people from out of colchester, but if you dont go to a 'partner school' or live in the catchment area then you are less likely to get in because these people get priority. Also, this guy in my form wanted to change his a level choices yesterday but my tutor said he might not be able to, again because he doesnt get priority.

http://www.colchsfc.ac.uk/policies/index.cfm This explains the admissions policy.

To do 4 as levels you need 7 A*-C grades (with at least a few Bs or better), and to do 5 you need 8 or 9 A*-B grades. Quite high entry requirements compared to other places. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Glad you enjoyed the day :smile:
We had two days off whilst you were inducted, wahey.
Yeah, there pretty lenient with grades though. I swear theres hundreds out of catchment, its only courses like A Level photography that out of catchment find it hard to get into.
But yeah its probably the best big sixth form college in the area, its doubled in size and its rather huge :tongue:
Bexx
Yeah, there pretty lenient with grades though. I swear theres hundreds out of catchment, its only courses like A Level photography that out of catchment find it hard to get into.
But yeah its probably the best big sixth form college in the area, its doubled in size and its rather huge :tongue:

I also enjoyed it there; such a variety of things going on. However it isnt the best sixth form college in the area the royal grammar is one of the best in the country so thats better.
strawberry_princess
Im starting there this august/september!!! I had my induction yesterday. it was really good. There was loads of people from out of colchester, but if you dont go to a 'partner school' or live in the catchment area then you are less likely to get in because these people get priority. Also, this guy in my form wanted to change his a level choices yesterday but my tutor said he might not be able to, again because he doesnt get priority.

http://www.colchsfc.ac.uk/policies/index.cfm This explains the admissions policy.

To do 4 as levels you need 7 A*-C grades (with at least a few Bs or better), and to do 5 you need 8 or 9 A*-B grades. Quite high entry requirements compared to other places. Hope this helps!

What form are you in?
Aaron_1507
What form are you in?

Errrrrm Ive forgotten lol its written down somewhere Ill find out later if I remember!! What form are you in?

and thanks for all your help Bexx!!
Bexx

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, are they lenient with the grades that you need for the courses aswell? Because I need a B in chemistry to do chemistry, but I kinda mucked up the exam and Im scared that I wont get a B and they won't let me take it!!
strawberry_princess
Errrrrm Ive forgotten lol its written down somewhere Ill find out later if I remember!! What form are you in?

and thanks for all your help Bexx!!

712 sam rogers is my tutor
strawberry_princess
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, are they lenient with the grades that you need for the courses aswell? Because I need a B in chemistry to do chemistry, but I kinda mucked up the exam and Im scared that I wont get a B and they won't let me take it!!

Yeah they, they act like they aren't but really they are. If you miss the grade you have an interview and you just need to act passionate about the subject(s)
Aaron_1507
Yeah they, they act like they aren't but really they are. If you miss the grade you have an interview and you just need to act passionate about the subject(s)

oh ok good because i need thta subject for my career!!
strawberry_princess
oh ok good because i need thta subject for my career!!

What career you looking at, medicine?
And have you found out what form your in?
Reply 16
Cheers for the info guys!

Do you have to have an interview? What does that involve? :smile:
Just a little chat about what you want to do, why you want to and general get to know questions, nothing intense.
Reply 18
They will be a bit lenient im sure, i don't know i didn't have that problem.
but im sure you will have got the grades!

and Sam Rogers is my psychology teacher aha. he's well...strange :smile: we still don't get wheres he's from he looks Asian with a weird accent and dyes his hair red. He's probably a good tutor though I'm sure, he's a good teacher.

yeah the interview is really easy going, it isn't to determine if you get a place or not, thats just your grades etc. its just a chat about if your ok with the subjects you've chosen etc.
Reply 19
sweet!

I heard the teachers were really laid back etc and you can call them by their first names, sounds cool :smile:

Is there a dress code? Or dya just wear anything?

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending