The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SATS = Test of aptitude and IQ = Good for people who do well.

A-Levels = Combination of work of natural talent and hard work. Easy for those who have a natural flair. For those who aren't quite as intelligent, it allows them to prove themselves with their hardworking nature to achieve an A.

If they had been given the former, they will not be given a chance to get in.

The working world is more about hard work rather than natural intelligence.
Reply 41
Nazmoth
as far as I'm concerned if I get 3 a's at a level then I get into MIT! Does that not show that top American universities value 3 a's at a level as much as the 99th percentile in sat.

They did also give me an aptitude test, but I did have to do this for oxford anyway. I would say in fact the oxford aptitude test was harder than the one for MIT.

I think there is no way to compare the two types of exams!

Which aptitude test did you take? MIT is pretty impressive, although I still wouldn't say that 3As=99th percentile on the SAT simply because of the curve and such. (Did you end up getting 4 As at A-level?)

My friend got into Harvard and Oxford but NOT MIT. He's American by the way and just graduated from Harvard.
Reply 42
Tombola
SATS = Test of aptitude and IQ = Good for people who do well.

A-Levels = Combination of work of natural talent and hard work. Easy for those who have a natural flair. For those who aren't quite as intelligent, it allows them to prove themselves with their hardworking nature to achieve an A.

If they had been given the former, they will not be given a chance to get in.

The working world is more about hard work rather than natural intelligence.

Perhaps, except keep in mind that the working world hardly resembles academia in any way. It also doesn't use the knowledge gained through hard work, especially if you majored in a humanities (English, History, etc.) or another academic but essentially useless degree. Even my friend who majored in Electrical Engineering at Stanford says that he doesn't use what he learned at university. A university degree is a stepping stone to graduate school and the working world, but university doesn't really resemble the working world.
Because most people here didn't do SATs?
Reply 44
saint_nic
Well after perusing the other threads you're an exception. Everyone thinks SATs are so much easier than A-levels, yet they can barely pull the 90th percentile.

To the other poster, it doesn't require much work because it's supposed to test your natural intelligence, kind of like an IQ test. Apparently A-levels don't require as much natural intelligence then?

I don't really see how memorising as much vocabulary as possible tests your natural intelligence. The SAT does nothing to test natural intelligence, it tests your mathematical ability (there are intelligent people out there with no mathematical ability) and your vocabulary, which is not a measure of intelligence, simply a measure of how much you can cram into your head before your exam. So either you're lucky and you've grown up with good maths skills and a strong vocabulary, in which case you still may not be intelligent, or you're unlucky and you cram and cram to acquire a vocabulary and basic maths skills, in which you case you may also not be intelligent. The SAT test is a joke.

EDIT: This is not a defence of a-levels.
Reply 45
EierVonSatan
holy crap, i know a harvard PhD grad, hes an utter genius, it shocks me that MIT wiould be more selective than harvard :eek:

It's about the same selectivity, varying from year to year. This year Harvard's acceptance rate was only 7% while MIT's was a bit higher I believe. Both are great institutions and local to each other.

My friend is a math genius. He was nationally ranked in mathematics, at various competitions and such, but extremely lazy. He rarely studied and pulled high exam scores out his ass. We used to watch movies until 5 in the morning rather than do homework. He got a full-ride to Cal-tech and entry to basically all universities he applied to except MIT.

PhD programs are more selective than undergrad (hard to believe considering Harvard's admit rate is 7%). I believe depending on the field they may accept as few as 5 people out of 700+ applicants.
Reply 46
KwungSun
I don't really see how memorising as much vocabulary as possible tests your natural intelligence. The SAT does nothing to test natural intelligence, it tests your mathematical ability (there are intelligent people out there with no mathematical ability) and your vocabulary, which is not a measure of intelligence, simply a measure of how much you can cram into your head before your exam. So either you're lucky and you've grown up with good maths skills and a strong vocabulary, in which case you still may not be intelligent, or you're unlucky and you cram and cram to acquire a vocabulary and basic maths skills, in which you case you may also not be intelligent. The SAT test is a joke.

EDIT: This is not a defence of a-levels.

A joke? Alright, let's see you test well enough to get into a top uni. Cramming vocabulary words? There's far more to the SAT than that. Most people I knew who scored well didn't even cram SAT words nor studied for the exam for that matter.

Besides if you define an exam as a joke simply because people study and cram for it, then A-levels has to be the epitome of a "joke" exam. Isn't it 80-90% hard work and 10 to 20% natural ability?
Reply 47
saint_nic
Perhaps, except keep in mind that the working world hardly resembles academia in any way. It also doesn't use the knowledge gained through hard work, especially if you majored in a humanities (English, History, etc.) or another academic but essentially useless degree. Even my friend who majored in Electrical Engineering at Stanford says that he doesn't use what he learned at university. A university degree is a stepping stone to graduate school and the working world, but university doesn't really resemble the working world.

I was sort of refering more to the similarities between the working world. There's no reason why a hardworking student shouldn't be allowed to do well in education, purely because they aren't as naturally intelligent as others. Plenty of intelligent people who fail A-Levels because they don't apply themselves.
Reply 48
Tombola
I was sort of refering more to the similarities between the working world. There's no reason why a hardworking student shouldn't be allowed to do well in education, purely because they aren't as naturally intelligent as others. Plenty of intelligent people who fail A-Levels because they don't apply themselves.

I would agree with you that hard work determines more in life than natural intelligence, in most fields anyway. I think people should weigh hard work and intelligence equally, as both are important.
Reply 49
saint_nic
A joke? Alright, let's see you test well enough to get into a top uni. Cramming vocabulary words? There's far more to the SAT than that. Most people I knew who scored well didn't even cram SAT words nor studied for the exam for that matter.

Besides if you define an exam as a joke simply because people study and cram for it, then A-levels has to be the epitome of a "joke" exam. Isn't it 80-90% hard work and 10 to 20% natural ability?

Well I didn't actually try to defend A-levels, but at least with a-levels you're actually learning a subject while trying to demonstrate your ability. A-levels have their own pretty serious problems, it is much too easy to score As and there is little room for distinction for top students, but at least you come out having learned something about something rather than just having expanded your vocab or improved your word analogy skills.

The SAT is just so heavily biased toward people who are good at maths and already have a strong vocabulary. If you must know I've taken the SAT and the GRE in the high 90th percentiles. But then that just reinforces my point because I'm just good at taking those kind of tests, but not nearly as good at taking in exams in the subjects I study at university.
Reply 50
EierVonSatan
Ahh nothing like putting things in perspective...i'm off to return my degree :p:

haha. On top of this, my genius friend was surrounded by so many geniuses at Harvard, he ended up dropping the Physics major for Computer Science because he said Physics kids at Harvard were insane. It really keeps things in perspective. :biggrin:
Reply 51
Because the people on here who do well in their a levels lack any social life, thus bragging about their a level grades makes them the centre of attention.

Geeks everywhere will be typing stern replies in their masses now:eek:
Reply 52
KwungSun
Well I didn't actually try to defend A-levels, but at least with a-levels you're actually learning a subject while trying to demonstrate your ability. A-levels have their own pretty serious problems, it is much too easy to score As and there is little room for distinction for top students, but at least you come out having learned something about something rather than just having expanded your vocab or improved your word analogy skills.

The SAT is just so heavily biased toward people who are good at maths and already have a strong vocabulary. If you must know I've taken the SAT and the GRE in the high 90th percentiles. But then that just reinforces my point because I'm just good at taking those kind of tests, but not nearly as good at taking in exams in the subjects I study at university.

Well you're probably not putting as much work into it as others are. If you are a good test-taker, with the right amount of work, you should be able to pull all As at A-level.

The closest analogy I have to A levels are AP exams (and I'm not even sure if they are comparable since AP exams are for one-year courses). However all I can say is the classes that I put more work into--when the teacher was pushier-- I did better in. I didn't self-study outside of class though, so it's probably not as intense as A-levels.

I agree, you learn stuff in A-levels, but if they are anything like AP exams, university rarely uses the knowledge you learned in these courses so in the end it's all pretty useless. The only test I found useful was the Calculus exam, and I took over 10 AP exams.
Reply 53
saint_nic
Well after perusing the other threads you're an exception. Everyone thinks SATs are so much easier than A-levels, yet they can barely pull the 90th percentile.

To the other poster, it doesn't require much work because it's supposed to test your natural intelligence, kind of like an IQ test. Apparently A-levels don't require as much natural intelligence then?

i think you're slightly missing the bigger picture. one of the main reasons we have examinations of any kind all over the world is for employers to guage how suitable you would be for a job. this would include the extent of your work ethic (i.e. how hard you can work) which means you cant dismiss A-levels as opposed to SATs, on the basis that SAT's are more of an assessment of natural intelligence
I haven't ruled out the possiblity that a sizable portion of the people on TSR who claim to have 10 As at A Level are ********ting for attention. Anyone can say anything on the Internet, I wouldn't believe too much of what you read online, and that goes to both sides of the arguement.
Reply 55
saint_nic
Well you're probably not putting as much work into it as others are. If you are a good test-taker, with the right amount of work, you should be able to pull all As at A-level.

The closest analogy I have to A levels are AP exams (and I'm not even sure if they are comparable since AP exams are for one-year courses). However all I can say is the classes that I put more work into--when the teacher was pushier-- I did better in. I didn't self-study outside of class though, so it's probably not as intense as A-levels.

I agree, you learn stuff in A-levels, but if they are anything like AP exams (or even the subject based SAT II), university rarely uses the knowledge you learned in these courses so in the end it's all pretty useless. The only test I found useful was the Calculus exam, and I took over 10 AP exams.

I was talking about university exams, ie exams taken AT university (college). My A-levels (IB actually) were fine thanks, but my point is that being good at taking tests like the SAT does in my view not correlate particularly well with being good at studying for and accumulating knowledge in a particular subject. A-levels might be easy and largely useless intellectually, but they are a much closer reflection of the kind of learning you have to do to pass university exams. No university I've heard of bases its GPA on SAT-type tests. I'll admit that the SAT subject tests remedy this to some extent though.

Also if you don't already know, the stuff you learn at university is also mostly useless with a few important exceptions.
Reply 56
tompark
i think you're slightly missing the bigger picture. one of the main reasons we have examinations of any kind all over the world is for employers to guage how suitable you would be for a job. this would include the extent of your work ethic (i.e. how hard you can work) which means you cant dismiss A-levels as opposed to SATs, on the basis that SAT's are more of an assessment of natural intelligence

I'd rather want to employ someone with natural ability than someone who needs a year of cramming to scrape together a weak A at A-level to be honest...
Reply 57
KwungSun
I was talking about university exams, ie exams taken AT university (college). My A-levels (IB actually) were fine thanks, but my point is that being good at taking tests like the SAT does in my view not correlate particularly well with being good at studying for and accumulating knowledge in a particular subject. A-levels might be easy and largely useless intellectually, but they are a much closer reflection of the kind of learning you have to do pass university exams. No university I've heard of bases it's GPA on SAT-type tests. I'll admit that the SAT subject tests remedy this to some extent though.

Also if you don't already know, the stuff you learn at university is also mostly useless with a few important exceptions.

Um, honey, please, I just graduated from a top American university and spent four incredibly long years there, so trust me I know GPA isn't based on SAT-type exams and that most of the stuff you learn is useless. I will say that most of uni work is hard work based, but entrance to grad school (which is what I am looking at now) is more so standardized-test based. Even if you apply to certain jobs here, such as investment banking, they ask you for your standardized test scores. Also, there is actually a stronger correlation between standardized tests and GPA at graduate school level than your undergrad GPA and grad school level GPA. I'm not sure what the correlation is between undergrad GPA and the SAT vs. high school GPA, so I'm using grad school as an example.
saint_nic
Yes, yet what 20 to 25% of people get As at A-level? I read an article how Oxbridge is considering having their own entrance exam because there are too many people with A and A* results.

This isn't the original article I read, but here is another. Apparently A-levels aren't that revealing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4895176.stm

It's not even possible to get an A* at A-Level yet, you ignorant bastard.
OP you sound like a stereotypical yank.

Eugh.

The American school system is a pile of dung, British isnt. Same goes for qualifications. End of.

People aren't cocky about A-Levels in the way that you're claiming - they're proud of their achievements and besides, they only tend to be "cocky" if they get several As. Yes, it is rather common to see people who have one (or sometimes 2) A grade(s), but not three or more.

A lot of people on TSR have 4/5 even 6 A grades. This is a rare thing. 8 As is enough to make national news.

OP you sound very bitter and uninformed. You may only need 80% to get an A grade, but UMS marks tell a different story, which is why Cambridges uses them to distunguish between applicants, and other universities will get more information about results as of this year.

With regards to the Oxbridge tests, I sat two MFL entrance tests, both of which were easier than A-Level exams in those subjects.
Reply 59
tompark

I guess it depends on the field. All I can say is, if I were being operated on, I'd rather a surgeon be naturally smart than a hard worker.

Latest

Trending

Trending