The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Does Warwick still have a rape culture?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by powerpuff674
I had read this article - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2019/jul/14/warwick-university-not-safe-says-woman-targeted-by-chat - which says that Warwick university is not a safe place to study so I just wanted to clarify whether this was true. I apologise for my use of the term ‘rape culture’ as It probably wasn’t the best term to use. But I do not apologise for wanting to make sure that as a young woman, I study at a place that is safe and protects its students, and from what I had read on the news this did not seem to be the case.

Of course the article is from The Guardian...
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Another 2 articles stating ‘rape culture’!!! This is just what I had read and I wanted to follow up on it to ask whether it was true. I want it to be untrue because Warwick is a great university and I want to apply but it’s unfair that you are assuming that I came up with the word ‘rape culture’! https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-47072323 & https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dazeddigital.com/politics/article/43205/1/warwick-students-are-right-to-protest-against-racism-and-rape-jokes%3famp=1
Original post by Will_W
Stupid ass

Original post by Archetypally
There never was a rape culture. It was a group chat with a handful of students. I'm not defending their actions, but in private settings, especially with friends, saying outrageous and offensive things for humour is not exactly uncommon, and you don't need to spend long on the internet to see that. I'd seriously doubt that their words were intersecting with their actual motivations in reality. Regardless, I believe that the particular group was dealt with.

Original post by Valeriex
Okay I am going to give a serious answer.

Disclaimer: I am not a student of Warwick or and Uni for that matter.

There isn't a rape culture in any uni per-se. Do rapes happen at Warwick? I can unfortunately 99% guarantee yes, but it is the same at any uni. Wether Warwick has higher rape statistic, I am unsure- isn't the sort of thing they publish. Though I imagine it is the same for any uni. So if you are afraid, or unsure of Warwick for fear of sexual assualt, then you would be unsure of all unis surely. If it is a uni you think is good for you then apply there, you can always turn it down later.

On another note: I imagine that Warwick is probably on high alert for this type of thing -as should all unis and really anywhere- so it is probably less likely to happen as they don't want a scandal like that to happen again.

Original post by The Mogg
How do people even believe such thing as a rape culture exists?

Original post by DarthRoar
There is no rape culture and never was.

Original post by harrysbar
It's not really fair on all the other students at Warwick who did absolutely nothing wrong to say they have a "rape culture" there. All unis have horrible things happen occasionally, it's a community and bad things happen as well as good. I think Warwick has an excellent reputation for Law.

Would you like this thread moved to the Law forum btw?

Original post by jbrdodd
Theres no such thing as rape culture in western culture.

Original post by YaliaV
Good god

Original post by Wired_1800
Rape culture? There are about 25,000 students at Warwick and you are making a conclusion based on a handful of stupid students? Is that how you make decisions in your life? You might have lost so many great opportunities based on you jumping to conclusions.

Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure if it was so much a rape culture, rather than a select group of terrible people followed by poor handling of the situation by the university. The chance of the same thing happening again, I would imagine, is just as likely as it is in Warwick than it would be in any other university. If anything, hopefully Warwick has learned it's lesson and is now more vigilant in order to prevent such a thing from happening again.
Original post by Wired_1800
Don't use that article to make a conclusion. There are articles that have attacked Cambridge University for not properly supporting female victims of sexual assault. Such a claim wont stop people wanting or going up to study.

Dont miss the chance to study at a really good uni based on such articles.

Exactly! I wanted to ask on the student room whether anyone felt that there was a level of truth in these articles because I am aware not to listen wholly to these articles.
Reply 23
but it’s unfair that you are assuming that I came up with the word ‘rape culture’!

Don't flatter yourself, nobody thinks you came up with the term, "rape culture" is something that has been debated for a long time now (much more in America than the UK but still)
I mean I'm not at Warwick yet (starting in a few weeks) but I've heard very positive things from current students about their student support and the community in general. Don't let one incident weigh you down. Even among staff the word is that what was done wrt that incident was inadequate.
Another 2 articles stating ‘rape culture’!!! This is just what I had read and I wanted to follow up on it to ask whether it was true. I want it to be untrue because Warwick is a great university and I want to apply but it’s unfair that you are assuming that I came up with the word ‘rape culture’! https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-47072323 & https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dazeddigital.com/politics/article/43205/1/warwick-students-are-right-to-protest-against-racism-and-rape-jokes%3famp=1

Saying that theres a rape culture in warwick would mean that rape is openly accepted and that it isn't frowned upon or disgusted against - which simply isn't true.
Reply 26
I spent four years at Warwick, albeit with a pretty poor social life. I don't think it's a dangerous uni for anyone to attend. There are *******s there, as the group chat indicates, but that's true of any uni. It just happened to be Warwick where some of them got exposed (and for messages, mind you, not assault). The SU is pretty conscious and active when it comes to issues of consent and safety, and as far as I can recall none of the people I've met have displayed any worrying attitudes about women or sex, or acted in particularly inappropriate ways.
Original post by jbrdodd
Saying that theres a rape culture in warwick would mean that rape is openly accepted and that it isn't frowned upon or disgusted against - which simply isn't true.

This, OP (@powerpuff674) might also be interested that we were offered to complete an online "Values at Warwick" course which contained information on sexual harassment and rape, among other things like alcohol. It was a little patronising, to say the least, but it does show that they don't tolerate this sort of behaviour.
Replies to this thread are what's wrong with TSR recently, especially seeing as most of the responses have been from guys who don't really have to fear this. Sorry you had to experience this OP.

I am not knowledgeable enough of Warwick uni, but I will say rapes will happen at every university in the country. I would probably say that it might be just a bit more publicised at Warwick uni based on certain incidents. There are thousands of students at that uni who have never experienced any form of sexual assault. If that is your dream uni I would say go for it. Then again I'm a guy so your view may be different.
Original post by _gcx
This, OP (@powerpuff674) might also be interested that we were offered to complete an online "Values at Warwick" course which contained information on sexual harassment and rape, among other things like alcohol. It was a little patronising, to say the least, but it does show that they don't tolerate this sort of behaviour.

Thank you for responding kindly. This was all I wanted to know, and it seems like Warwick has handled it well. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Prussianxo
Replies to this thread are what's wrong with TSR recently, especially seeing as most of the responses have been from guys who don't really have to fear this. Sorry you had to experience this OP.

I am not knowledgeable enough of Warwick uni, but I will say rapes will happen at every university in the country. I would probably say that it might be just a bit more publicised at Warwick uni based on certain incidents. There are thousands of students at that uni who have never experienced any form of sexual assault. If that is your dream uni I would say go for it. Then again I'm a guy so your view may be different.

Thank you so much for responding kindly, I wasn’t really expecting so much of hatred. I completely understand that sexual assaults happen frequently in universities but I just wanted to know how Warwick student feel that Warwick have responded to this serious issue. Thank you again :smile:
Original post by math42
I spent four years at Warwick, albeit with a pretty poor social life. I don't think it's a dangerous uni for anyone to attend. There are *******s there, as the group chat indicates, but that's true of any uni. It just happened to be Warwick where some of them got exposed (and for messages, mind you, not assault). The SU is pretty conscious and active when it comes to issues of consent and safety, and as far as I can recall none of the people I've met have displayed any worrying attitudes about women or sex, or acted in particularly inappropriate ways.

Thank you, this is very reassuring to hear. I just wanted to know how Warwick students felt the university was handling it but I have got some very reassuring responses. That was all I wanted to get out of this thread. Thank you again :smile:
Hey I'm sorry if my response felt like I was attacking you. I think that I spoke up on impulse without knowing much about the situation. And since I'm 16 year old girl I haven't been to any University.
Original post by Prussianxo

You are such a plum.
There’s bad people everywhere, and there’s gonna be ****ed up people at any university you go to. That doesn’t mean Warwick has a “rape culture”. I bet you other people have had similar conversations at other universities but they just didn’t get caught. You can’t not go to Warwick because of one incident. Get a grip.
Thank you so much for responding kindly, I wasn’t really expecting so much of hatred. I completely understand that sexual assaults happen frequently in universities but I just wanted to know how Warwick student feel that Warwick have responded to this serious issue. Thank you again :smile:

Don't listen to the haters. They just mad you are being successful. I hope you make the right choice!
Exactly! I wanted to ask on the student room whether anyone felt that there was a level of truth in these articles because I am aware not to listen wholly to these articles.

Warwick is ok, you will be fine
Original post by Notoriety
You are such a plum.

Lmao never been called that in my life

May I ask why?
Original post by Valeriex
Hey I'm sorry if my response felt like I was attacking you. I think that I spoke up on impulse without knowing much about the situation. And since I'm 16 year old girl I haven't been to any University.

Hi no I didn’t feel like you were attacking me but I just tagged you as I wanted to explain my side :smile:
i get that you may be concered, but honestly to think that Warwick is the only uni that has students who have group chats like this is a bit naive. i've looked at my male friends group chats and they're very graphic

Quick Reply

Latest