The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Does Warwick still have a rape culture?

Scroll to see replies

This is like saying that you are afraid of applying to Oxford because of the bullingdon club. Nowadays they only have about two members and a recent meeting was disbanded. If you like the course you should apply.

If you are still worried about being raped, you can take precautions ie only go out with a group of women, never go home alone, never accept a lift home from a guy you just met in a night club. Oh and carry an alarm in your handbag if you feel you need it

When I was at Manchester uni there was a rapist stalking our hall of residence. Although worrying we were extra careful and it didn’t overshadow my final year.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
It never had a rape culture.

I'm sorry but even if members of the university have taken to both social and traditional media to say that it does, that doesn't mean they're right.

I'm a student at Warwick. I can ask all the people I know this question and I bet 99% of people will say "What? No."

It's a massive superlative that people latch on to because it's eye-catching. Warwick has 26,000 students and there were at most 11 people involved. That is less than 0.05% of the student population.
Reply 42
Go elsewhere Warwick sucks tbh
Reply 43
Original post by powerpuff674
I think that the level of hostility in this post is extremely unnecessary. I just wasn’t sure and wanted to make sure that the university has implemented safeguards in place to make sure that what happened never happens again. There is no need to call me a ‘triggered snowflake’ or any other derogatory remark, I think that you are the one that needs to grow up.

Stop being so pathetic. You clearly don't understand the term 'rape culture', and you don't understand what was reported. You have some growing up to do because people like you make life harder for genuine assault victims who struggle to be believed.
Original post by Oxford Mum
When I was at Manchester uni there was a rapist stalking our hall of residence. Although worrying we were extra careful and it didn’t overshadow my final year.

Wait what?
Yes it’s true. Security was tightened as a result
This is like saying that you are afraid of applying to Oxford because of the bullingdon club. Nowadays they only have about two members and a recent meeting was disbanded. If you like the course you should apply.

If you are still worried about being raped, you can take precautions ie only go out with a group of women, never go home alone, never accept a lift home from a guy you just met in a night club. Oh and carry an alarm in your handbag if you feel you need it

The issue with the OP’s comment was that they conflated actual rape with “talk of rape”. Many universities probably have cases of “rape talk”, so it is silly that they refuse a uni based on that issue.

I don't think people should convince themselves that a top uni is not for them based on perception.
Original post by Wired_1800
The issue with the OP’s comment was that they conflated actual rape with “talk of rape”. Many universities probably have cases of “rape talk”, so it is silly that they refuse a uni based on that issue.

I don't think people should convince themselves that a top uni is not for them based on perception.

That's right. There is good and bad stuff going on at every uni. And there is also a constant turnover of students, of course.
That's right. There is good and bad stuff going on at every uni. And there is also a constant turnover of students, of course.

Yes, this is true.
Ok wow I wasn’t really expecting such hostile responses. I was simply not sure because I read the horrible things that happened on the chat about gang rape and genital mutilation and these are such serious issues and I wasn’t sure whether anyone felt that people like this still existed at Warwick. I was more worried about how the university handled it as the girl who was targeted actually had to sit next to the boys in her university exams and I felt that this was extremely unnecessary and showed that Warwick didn’t take the matter as seriously as was required. I’m not sorry that I want to make informed decisions about my future! And I think that the way a lot of people are responding to my question is entirely unnecessary as rape is such a serious topic and it needs to be taken seriously

First, if you look it up, the boys on the chat were mainly nerdy spotty little children who had almost certainly never had any success with girls.

Second its no worse at Warwick than I experienced in high school or on the high street on an average day. You'll have to take the same precautions to protect yourself at Warwick as you will anywhere else in the world, even your home town. This isn't a Warwick problem its a world problem (ignore the middle aged overweight white men above who say there's no such problem). Entitled little boys who haven't been brought up to understand how to respect women or express their sexuality without toxic bravado. Don't be put off by the scandal. It was handled badly by the university at the time but, as a consequence, they are getting (a little) better at dealing with things. They can't afford a repeat apart from anything. Also, as the poster above mentions, the student body are working really hard to improve things. Many have been camping out for over 8 weeks this term. Womens' safety is high on the student agenda. Check out IT Happens Here as well as Protect Warwick Women. Good luck with your decision and lets all raise our sons to know better!
First, if you look it up, the boys on the chat were mainly nerdy spotty little children who had almost certainly never had any success with girls.

Second its no worse at Warwick than I experienced in high school or on the high street on an average day. You'll have to take the same precautions to protect yourself at Warwick as you will anywhere else in the world, even your home town. This isn't a Warwick problem its a world problem (ignore the middle aged overweight white men above who say there's no such problem). Entitled little boys who haven't been brought up to understand how to respect women or express their sexuality without toxic bravado. Don't be put off by the scandal. It was handled badly by the university at the time but, as a consequence, they are getting (a little) better at dealing with things. They can't afford a repeat apart from anything. Also, as the poster above mentions, the student body are working really hard to improve things. Many have been camping out for over 8 weeks this term. Womens' safety is high on the student agenda. Check out IT Happens Here as well as Protect Warwick Women. Good luck with your decision and lets all raise our sons to know better!
no not really, my friend goes to warwick and says it fine
Original post by Andrew97
There was never a rape culture in the first place.

Trying not to stereotype based on your profile picture but somewhat confused. On what evidence/experience are you basing your response?
I had read this article - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2019/jul/14/warwick-university-not-safe-says-woman-targeted-by-chat - which says that Warwick university is not a safe place to study so I just wanted to clarify whether this was true. I apologise for my use of the term ‘rape culture’ as It probably wasn’t the best term to use. But I do not apologise for wanting to make sure that as a young woman, I study at a place that is safe and protects its students, and from what I had read on the news this did not seem to be the case.

Just read the abuse you received for asking a perfectly honest question. I live in coventry and recently took a tour around Warwick uni, where I found alarm buttons placed around the lake and isolated walk way. This was a result of problems with this particular walk way. They are alarms for those who are scared or being followed etc. They have been put there for a very good reason. There was a problem, and it has been addressed, hopefully! You were right to ask, ignore the buffoons who know nothing about what went on there clealry!
Original post by BasicMistake
It never had a rape culture.

I'm sorry but even if members of the university have taken to both social and traditional media to say that it does, that doesn't mean they're right.

I'm a student at Warwick. I can ask all the people I know this question and I bet 99% of people will say "What? No."

It's a massive superlative that people latch on to because it's eye-catching. Warwick has 26,000 students and there were at most 11 people involved. That is less than 0.05% of the student popula
tion.

So did you get round to asking the 26,000 students what they thought?
Original post by Johnsonchloe
So did you get round to asking the 26,000 students what they thought?

I talked about the incident to people I was around and they talked to the those around them. People by and large condemned the whole incident but understood it was a select group of people who were involved.

Did you get around to establishing whether enough of the 26,000 students are complicit in sexual assault?

I'm no longer at Warwick and to be honest I have very little love for the place, but to say that Warwick has a rape culture is frankly a lazy characterisation of what happened.
So the answer is no you didn't get round to asking?
Reply 57
Ok wow I wasn’t really expecting such hostile responses. I was simply not sure because I read the horrible things that happened on the chat about gang rape and genital mutilation and these are such serious issues and I wasn’t sure whether anyone felt that people like this still existed at Warwick. I was more worried about how the university handled it as the girl who was targeted actually had to sit next to the boys in her university exams and I felt that this was extremely unnecessary and showed that Warwick didn’t take the matter as seriously as was required. I’m not sorry that I want to make informed decisions about my future! And I think that the way a lot of people are responding to my question is entirely unnecessary as rape is such a serious topic and it needs to be taken seriously

I can confirm that the welfare of the students is never a priority for Warwick university. When things go wrong it is always the students fault and never the faculty. Professors and administration can do no wrong and will never be sanctioned.
Original post by Catcat115
I can confirm that the welfare of the students is never a priority for Warwick university. When things go wrong it is always the students fault and never the faculty. Professors and administration can do no wrong and will never be sanctioned.

Not rape related but I agree with this comment. From a disability and wellbeing standpoint, they are genuinely awful (speaking from personal experience)
Original post by Anonymous #5
Not rape related but I agree with this comment. From a disability and wellbeing standpoint, they are genuinely awful (speaking from personal experience)

why? because they didn't give you an extension on the assignment you left till the last minute?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending