The Student Room Group

****ed my life up. Can I transfer next year?

Did GCSEs in one year after moving to the UK, got top grades in the school. The next school year **** hit the fan.

Long story short. Depression, drug abuse, parents ****ed off, grew up in the system ect ect.

Failed year 12 twice, not because of bad grades. I find the work easy, just attendance was always under 35% so I got kicked out 2 sixth forms.

I'm now 18 years old and starting a first year engineering course with the open university. The next 6 months materials look easy enough, the maths Ive pretty much all done before. I'm really motivated this year to get my life in order. I've seen the world, and how harsh it can be, and I realise education is the only way forward for me.

I'd like to transfer next year from the open university and start the next chapter of my life. I would happily go into a second year placement in engineering at a BRICK university, or even re-do the first year. However;

* Will universities accept me if I have no A levels but only Credits from the Open university?
* If I choose to re-do the first year, will I get student loan funding? I have already had to take out student loans for this year
* Do I apply via UCAS this November with all my mates who still go to sixth form or do I wait until after exam results in summer and go through clearing?

Any help with these 3 questions would be appreciated so much, I really dont know what I'm doing and have literally no one to ask.

*Reposted idk what happened to the other one, new here...
Reply 1
Original post by TheLostCause1
Did GCSEs in one year after moving to the UK, got top grades in the school. The next school year **** hit the fan.

Long story short. Depression, drug abuse, parents ****ed off, grew up in the system ect ect.

Failed year 12 twice, not because of bad grades. I find the work easy, just attendance was always under 35% so I got kicked out 2 sixth forms.

I'm now 18 years old and starting a first year engineering course with the open university. The next 6 months materials look easy enough, the maths Ive pretty much all done before. I'm really motivated this year to get my life in order. I've seen the world, and how harsh it can be, and I realise education is the only way forward for me.

I'd like to transfer next year from the open university and start the next chapter of my life. I would happily go into a second year placement in engineering at a BRICK university, or even re-do the first year. However;

* Will universities accept me if I have no A levels but only Credits from the Open university?
* If I choose to re-do the first year, will I get student loan funding? I have already had to take out student loans for this year
* Do I apply via UCAS this November with all my mates who still go to sixth form or do I wait until after exam results in summer and go through clearing?

Any help with these 3 questions would be appreciated so

Do you count as a full time or part time OU student?
Original post by ajj2000
Do you count as a full time or part time OU student?

Full time I believe. I'm expected to complete 120 credits this year.
Reply 3
Full time I believe. I'm expected to complete 120 credits this year.

Ah, ok. The thing to check - and you need to consult student finance about this - is whether the OU finance has an impact on your ability to get a loan for a brick university. I doubt anywhere (for engineering) will let you skip the first year so you need to be careful and contact universities to see which would take your 120 credits of OU work as a subsitiute for A levels.
Reply 4
Which universities are you interested in going to?
Nottingham, Queen Marys, Warwick, UCL, Manchester, Baths, Bristol, South-Hampton ect ect

Any of these universities would be great. Dont know how realistic that is however
i cant answer ur studnet loan question because i have the same question! im on a gap year and i wanna do a 1 year course this year but idk if i'm allowed to use my student loans twice

do a foundation in engineering...do 1 year access course in something they accept this year...in total that's around 8 years if u do the year in industry course. durham, queen mary, liverpool, southampton and (ithink) Lboro offer a foundation in engineering. apply this year.
how about apprenticeship in engineering?

i think it's liverpool that accept CCC for foundation in eng so u could redo your a levels this year and achieve CCC. which a levels? as long as maths and phys are not included
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anonymoussse
i cant answer ur studnet loan question because i have the same question! im on a gap year and i wanna do a 1 year course this year but idk if i'm allowed to use my student loans twice

do a foundation in engineering...do 1 year access course in something they accept this year...in total that's around 8 years if u do the year in industry course. durham, queen mary, liverpool, southampton and (ithink) Lboro offer a foundation in engineering. apply this year.
how about apprenticeship in engineering?

i think it's liverpool that accept CCC for foundation in eng so u could redo your a levels this year and achieve CCC. which a levels? as long as maths and phys are not included

Im already enrolled on Bachelors of Engineering (Q65) with the open university. To be honest, the course seems interesting, as long as I can transfer to a BRIC university somehow next year ill be fine with making this choice. I live alone, so studying from home for 3 years sounds like ill just go crazy. ATM i hang out with my old sixth form mates but they'll be off to university next year.

Ill contact a few universities today and see what they got to say.
Im already enrolled on Bachelors of Engineering (Q65) with the open university. To be honest, the course seems interesting, as long as I can transfer to a BRIC university somehow next year ill be fine with making this choice. I live alone, so studying from home for 3 years sounds like ill just go crazy. ATM i hang out with my old sixth form mates but they'll be off to university next year.

Ill contact a few universities today and see what they got to say.

Look at somewhere like Oxford Brookes - they have a great reputation for Engineering and might be more flexible.
It would be better for you to apply by the 15 January 2020 deadline as engineering programmes do fill in advance of Clearing.

Build your relationship with the university admissions teams now, since your case is slightly unusual --- the potential for accepting the first year of an OU BEng instead of Level 3 A-levels. You would also need to get advice from Student Finance England on your particular funding situation.

Quick Reply

Latest