The Student Room Group

Are driving crash courses worth it?

I have just started to learn to drive (I've only had one lesson so far) and I'm super keen to pass as soon as possible. I've always been a quick learner and thrive in a fast-paced environment. I have already passed my theory exam.
Does anyone know anything about these intensive courses? The only thing putting me off is the steep price (nearly £1000). I figured that in the long run about the same amount is spent on weekly driving lessons so it isn't as bad as it seems but one grand all at once is a lot to pay.
Original post by Reena Bansi
I have just started to learn to drive (I've only had one lesson so far) and I'm super keen to pass as soon as possible. I've always been a quick learner and thrive in a fast-paced environment. I have already passed my theory exam.
Does anyone know anything about these intensive courses? The only thing putting me off is the steep price (nearly £1000). I figured that in the long run about the same amount is spent on weekly driving lessons so it isn't as bad as it seems but one grand all at once is a lot to pay.

I mean the main benefit is that you will always be used to the car and you won't have to re-cover any of the info on how to drive... imo driving is something you are either immediately somewhat good at (mainly from knowledge of how cars should drive) or you require lots of practice and always revert back to making the same mistakes, it's just a case of gaining the experience driving after passing to make you realise this. To pass the test, many people can drive perfectly well, it's mainly just stupid mistakes that are costly under pressure... as soon as you pass that's when the real test begins! Read some reviews of how it worked for others, and work out whether there are any that can save you money paying upfront. Honestly, all you need to do is pass and then you'll really learn how to drive (and how many idiots there are on the road lol)!
Usually, it's best not to crash at all, but if you think it's inevitable you might want to take a crash course so you're ready.

I'm an American applicant, so that means I learned to drive when I was 15 and got my license when I was 16! I've been driving for a while now, and honestly would recommend taking a full course rather than a crash course (we don't have an option - we have to do intense courses). The full course will teach you things that the crash course wouldn't, and sometimes you think you won't use them, but you absolutely do. I feel it's better to be patient and take the full course, because it would pay off long-term.
Reply 4
I done a crash course for Motorcycle, Car and HGV licences.
Passed two different motorcycle tests first time, two different HGV tests first time and my car on the 2nd attempt.

I chose to do weekly lessons, i recommend doing this as a few people i know did intensive and had to retake it several times, i suppose its how you like to learn but taking a bit longer makes you used to being on the road and you may make less silly mistakes in the long run. Its up to you but dont rush it as thats when you make these mistakes
Hope this helps and good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending