The Student Room Group

Ask an Accounting and Finance Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by U33B
Nice one mate. I`m just going to ask you a straight up question. How do you make an offshore account. Step by step guide would be highly beneficial..... Thanks... :wink:.....

That one I don't know! Best to ask your local back-alley accountant for that :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by IdioticApple
That one I don't know! Best to ask your local back-alley accountant for that :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I like that answer. But I want to do it legally. looool
Original post by ROC10
Hi everyone!

I'm currently in my final (4th) year studying Accounting and Finance at The University of Edinburgh.

You can ask me any questions you may have about the subject and I will do my best to answer, although there can, of course, be many differences between different universities. I am also able to answer questions around the Business School at Edinburgh, including those around different degree programmes as there are many similarities in the early years.

These subjects are often not studied in school so it's completely understandable that you may have questions, particularly given the cancellation of many open days and offer-holder days.

Hope this helps! :smile:

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@ROC10 - Final year, Accounting and Finance, Edinburgh
@IdioticApple - Final year, Accounting and Finance, UWE
@Roottokill - Offer holder, Accounting and Finance, Durham
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Hi
I applied for a university and i got told to write an essay but i dont understand whether they mean accounts or accountants in this question; 'What role do financial accounts play in the management of business organisations?'
I think there they mean the numbers/reports
Original post by Catherine1973
I think there they mean the numbers/reports

but in that case shouldn't they write financial statement instead of financial accounts???
that would be more clear

but you would NOT refer to the staff in that way so it must be the numbers it means.
Original post by summer.AG
Hi
I applied for a university and i got told to write an essay but i dont understand whether they mean accounts or accountants in this question; 'What role do financial accounts play in the management of business organisations?'

Given it says accounts, I think it means accounts, haha.

To give you a clue, accounts are one of the most significant methods of assessing corporate health. They are used to make decisions and learn about the firm. They tell you whether your last project was good, or bad. Using a range of different ratios based on the accounts (financial ratios) they tell you about efficiency (stock, staff, asset), liquidity (cash), profitability and gearing (how much debt) as well as others.

To put it in a nutshell; they are the most significant piece of information management uses to make decisions in a business.
Original post by Ohnoki94
Given it says accounts, I think it means accounts, haha.

To give you a clue, accounts are one of the most significant methods of assessing corporate health. They are used to make decisions and learn about the firm. They tell you whether your last project was good, or bad. Using a range of different ratios based on the accounts (financial ratios) they tell you about efficiency (stock, staff, asset), liquidity (cash), profitability and gearing (how much debt) as well as others.

To put it in a nutshell; they are the most significant piece of information management uses to make decisions in a business.

thank you
Reply 48
@ROC10 Hi! I was wondering about the kind of academic stress you are exposed to while working towards a finance degree at the University of Edinburgh. (I have an offer for Economics with Finance).
Original post by ROC10
Hi everyone!

I'm currently in my final (4th) year studying Accounting and Finance at The University of Edinburgh.

You can ask me any questions you may have about the subject and I will do my best to answer, although there can, of course, be many differences between different universities. I am also able to answer questions around the Business School at Edinburgh, including those around different degree programmes as there are many similarities in the early years.

These subjects are often not studied in school so it's completely understandable that you may have questions, particularly given the cancellation of many open days and offer-holder days.

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:

Could you please list the textbooks you have used throughout your course and the internship opportunities you were exposed to. Much appreciated.
Original post by ROC10
Hi everyone!

---

I am wondering is it more competitive to study a level further maths for applying LSE accounting and finance?
Reply 51
Hello that would be really helpful as I have no access to tutors. I have to work out credit sales and make assumptions from annual reports from vodafone, JD sports and a manufacturing company. thank you
Reply 52
Original post by ROC10
Hi everyone!

---

Just a few questions. Is it possible for a past sixth form student who did Economics, Business and Mathematics A level to major in accounting and finance in university. Secondly, will it be hard for those who didn't do accounting for A levels.
Reply 53
Original post by DDDF
Just a few questions. Is it possible for a past sixth form student who did Economics, Business and Mathematics A level to major in accounting and finance in university. Secondly, will it be hard for those who didn't do accounting for A levels.

I did Biology, Chemistry and Physics at College, I never touched Accounting or Economics before and I am now in final year of my Accounting and Finance degree. You won't find it hard if you put the work in. In first year they normally teach you the basics anyways and as you did Economics and Business you will be fine. Those in my course that did Economics or Business for A level did well.

I have also done a placement year and feel that if I could back in time I wouldn't have done this degree and would have done an Accounting apprenticeship instead. I feel like those on placement who did an apprenticeship knew more about the job than those who where studying for a degree. That is because they have hands on experience as well as qualifications. Also if you want to do Accounting your university might give you accreditation's towards your professional qualification but some jobs might want you to do it again.
Hi all, I want to talk about which uni would be the best option for accounting and finance Glasgow/Bristol/City/KCL/Warwick. I have asked this question to many and have received a sure shot to pursue Warwick. But I have doubts whether I can get in, being that I haven't received the offer yet from Warwick or KCL. I also wanna know which would be the best for employment prospects, summer internships, placement years, insight week and finally graduate jobs in specific fields like an investment bank, private equity or venture capital etc. which uni is most probable to get into these entities. Also wanna know how much prestige factor would be applied while getting the job.
Reply 55
Original post by ROC10
Hi everyone!

---

I know this thread is 3 years old now but hoping its still monitored.
Im starting my degree in September and asking if there is any generic books/study guides that you would recomend?
Original post by rpj79
I know this thread is 3 years old now but hoping its still monitored.
Im starting my degree in September and asking if there is any generic books/study guides that you would recomend?

Hi there!

It would be a good idea to contact your lecturers to ask for reading lists for each of your modules, so you can get ahead before starting. That's if you're not already registered on the university virtual learning system, where lecturers post these. It's good to read these in advance instead of other books, as you'll be using them for your actual course.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
hi,

I am an economics and finance student going into my final year- was stuck in between choosing modules: Taxation in accounting vs Issues in behavioural finance.

Looking for some advice on which module will be easier to score high marks in essentially
Reply 58
I am taking 3 and half a levels and I found out my AS a level is not gonna count for uni after sending my ucas off I ahve applied for Aston bcu cov and Newman and Wolverhampton they all want grades a range from 112 ucas I’m on two merits for health and social care and IT for me to get 112 I need an A in a level business and if I retake to get a distinction there can be a possibly I don’t get the distinction I don’t know what to firm as Aston want a distinction distinction and a B in the AS and c in business
I’m thinking to firm aston then insurance bcu but if I don’t get the grades I’d go thru clearing but if my course ain’t on there I don’t have a place to
Go to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending