The Student Room Group

Gap year length?

Poll

Gap Year Length?

Hey guys....

I have a choice between:

1) 13 month gapyear - from July 2009 to August 2010 (is this too long; will i get bored?) - Actually 10 months travelling.

2) 7 Month gapyear - from July 2009 to Feburary 2010 (is this too short to really explore the world?) - Actually 6 months travelling.

During this time I want to travel - taking around £7000 or so.

What would you choose? And why?

Thanks for your time.

Jason
errrr i dont think 7 grand would be enough for 10 months? especially if you went everywhere, i mean maybe if you went to the countries that are cheaper to live in eg asia a lot...
Reply 2
The interesting parts of the world can be seen in a few weeks. The rest is a dump.
Reply 3
Lol @ post above, you have no idea.

I spent £3900 incl all flights traveling through Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar (briefly), Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Japan. Travelled for 7 months.

Hong Kong: £25 per day
Singapore: £25 per day
Malaysia: £15 per day
Thailand: £10 per day (excl south, incl train costs)
Cambodia: £5-10 per day
Vietnam: £10 per day excl train costs
China: £15 per day excl train costs
Japan: £25 per day MINIMUM excl train costs

So... my point is you could easilly travel for 10 months on £7000, provided you don't do RTW and you don't go to Western Europe, Australia, the USA, or NZ. You could go to one of these countries but only for a limited time. I wouldn't recommend going to more than one developed country (my choice was Japan), because their too expensive unless you have a lot of dosh.

On £7000 you could probably do India, Nepal, South East Asia (or East Asia like me), and Aus/NZ/Japan/South Korea/Taiwan (one), your choice. If you wanted to do N or S America you would need a RTW ticket if you wanna go anywhere else and it would cost too much.

So anyway, my advise is to take a 13 month gap year because the longer the better. Costs in India can be as low as £5 per day, and I'd recommend atleast 3 months there!

OR OR OR OR OR

Do a RTW, use the money to pay for your trip up to Aus, work there for 3-6months, then use that money to pay for the rest. Though this does limit your time in other countries, it depends if you wanna spend that long in Aus. Heard brilliant things from people that have been there, too westernised for me though, I don't really have much wish to travel there personally.

I'm doing the Middle East next, if you need any ideas PM me! ^^

Latest