The Student Room Group

Help Further mathematics a B

I got my AS results, basically and A in psychology, A in mathematics and B in history. I got a D in biology:s-smilie:

However, I didn't do full AS further mathematics only two modules. However, I got a C in AQA D1 69 out of 100. Then I got a B out of FP1 75 out of 100.

I'm really confused about this. I thought I got an A in FP1, since I anwsered all the questions and I couldn't see any mistake I made. However, I somehow dropped 25 marks.

This is really distressing, espically since I was like 5 marks away from an A, also D1 is distressing.

Should I resist both this year? I'm doing the full A2, however I need an A and this result shock me. Next year I will be doing mathematics, psychology and further mathematics, this means I have lots of free time and could concentrate on mathematics more.

So should I resit this, also what should I do if my College says I can't do further mathematics? as I didn't get an A in FP1.

This has got me seriously worried. I made a promise to do no more silly mistakes, which I'm reallly prone too. Also, should I do M1 instead of D2? as I think I might do that, then I might do M2.
I'm not sure what AQA is like but its mostly the same between boards I think. D1 is horrible I think, it doesn't fit in the same way as other maths modules. It doesn't require as much calculations and thinking through, just memory of a pattern to do things in. So its easy to lose marks on it because they are strict about small things. I'd retake it if you think you can push it up, but its a pain.
I wouldn't worry as much about FP1, you were close to an A and on Edexcel it was quite different to FP2 and FP3 so it'd be difficult to do them all at once. You should be able to carry on doing further maths with a B in FP1, otherwise they wouldn't have that grade available.
As for M1, this depends on you. Personally I hated D1 and would happily do M1-M3 again in place of doing any more of that. Its pretty interesting too, although M1 is at such a basic level that its hard to relate it to real world ideas (which is one of the reasons I liked it). I definitely found it easier to get high marks in the mechanics modules rather than D1, because the solutions felt more concrete in a way.
Also remember that all your applied modules will be moved around so you get the best grade in both maths and further maths. Do you need the A in further maths for part of an offer? Just wondering because I saw a lot of AAB offers with further maths, but sometimes I was told the further maths could be the B, and maths and another subject as the two A's.
Reply 2
So its easy to lose marks on it because they are strict about small things. I'd retake it if you think you can push it up, but its a pain.

Depends, I might take M1 instead of retaking it, I will what the teacher says.

I wouldn't worry as much about FP1, you were close to an A and on Edexcel it was quite different to FP2 and FP3 so it'd be difficult to do them all at once. You should be able to carry on doing further maths with a B in FP1, otherwise they wouldn't have that grade available

Okay, I will try to argue that I had a bad day in the exam or something. However, I'm confused about the grade.

Do you need the A in further maths for part of an offer? Just wondering because I saw a lot of AAB offers with further maths, but sometimes I was told the further maths could be the B, and maths and another subject as the two A's.

It depends on what universities give me an offer next year. However, I think warwick wants an A in further mathematics. Saying that York and leeds don't and I'm applying to them. Saying that I really want to get into Warwick, Durham or Oxford and they need an A in further mathematics.

I'm confused about the markings.

I got 75 UMS on FP1, however in the grade boundries http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-GDE-BOUND-JUN08.PDF
it says I got the maximum scaled mark. That its over 63 to get an A.

I'm confused does that mean they got it wrong on my slip. Or is UMS different. Help

Latest