The Student Room Group

Unexpected gap year - any suggestions?

Against all odds, I've made it onto a geography degree at Cambridge. However, this doesn't start until October 2009 and so I've suddenly got a year to fill... and no idea what to do in it!

I'd love to live abroad for a while but my language skills only go so far as gcse Spanish and I have no particular skill or trade to offer in order to get a job... I assume I'm too late to apply for voluntary projects for the coming year and at present I only have around £300 saved up, but if necessary I could work at home for a few months to fun myself.

:woo: I'm at a total loss.
Any ideas, anyone?
Reply 1
Work & travel Australia or something? Its quite costy tho
Reply 2
Work for the next 5-6 months, then travel for the rest. Money goes a long way in Asia, but flights are still expensive
Reply 3
Do you have any relatives/parent's friends that live abroad that you could stay with/hook you up with a job?

You have over a year till your course starts so naturally, just work for about 6 months and travel the rest.
Exactly the same position, only History at Cambridge - which college are you? :smile:

I'm thinking I'll work for at least 6 months, try and get up to at least £6000, and then go travelling/save penguins or whatever. Parents aren't terribly happy about the prospect of me going off travelling by myself though!

Have you thought about doing a TEFL course, and teaching English abroad in Africa or something?

Keep me updated on what you decide to do :smile:
Reply 5
I'm going to Kings... how about you?

At the moment I'm looking into doing a spanish or tefl course at the moment, they all seem terribly expensive though :/.

*resigns self to months of work in a petrol station first*
Girton :smile:

I'm similarly looking at doing a Spanish course actually - preferably in Cuba for 4-6 weeks. Probably cost about £3000 all in though!

I'm also quite up for going to South Africa and saving penguins or something like that, and then maybe doing a stint of teaching English somewhere. I need looooooots of money though :frown:

Latest