The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

To all future Unite tenants: Rent will be taken before you get your loan

I'm not sure if this applies to everyone (I'm at The Plaza), but I found out earlier that my first rent payment will be collected by Unite next week (22nd August, to be exact) to the tune of £1500. I also discovered that in actual fact, Student Loans/Grants/Bursaries don't start being handed out until after term begins (Late September). I had always assumed that a provider of student accommodation would sync it's rent collection with Student Loans, but this seems not to be the case.

So this is just a warning. If you aren't going to be able to come up with however much your rent (it depends on payment intervals, I'm on 3 times pa Direct Debit), I'd recommend that you get in touch with your halls to let them know, and so you can arrange some kind of agreement. The numbers to ring are:

The Plaza: 0113 245 8363
The Tannery: 0113 242 8363
Concept Place: 0113 245 8363
Joseph Stones House: 0113 247 1722
Reply 1
rite thts dropped me in it a bit

havent even applied for finance yet :mad:

have u got summit sorted out so u dnt have 2 pay so early?

btw wot year are you in?

jp
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
1st year. I've had to borrow money from the Bank of Mum & Dad.

You really should be applying for finance, and I mean right now. Unite seem to be able to delay payment, but only by a couple of weeks.
jp1212
rite thts dropped me in it a bit

havent even applied for finance yet :mad:

have u got summit sorted out so u dnt have 2 pay so early?

btw wot year are you in?

jp

Even if you could pay this on student loan dates, you'd still be dropped in it - you'll probably get your loan a few weeks/month after everyone else if you haven't applied for it yet - it's almost September! You're meant to do it in like... March.
Its true, I lived at The Tannery last year.
However in my experience it was all a disaster. They wouldn't let me pay direct debit so I asked them if I could pay via cheque - I was told no so I was left with no payment option. So in the end I didn't pay my September 07 installment til approx June 2008 - 5 complaint letters, a £60 administration fee for sending out those letters and an angry phone call from my parents later.

They also tried to fiddle me out of £147 of my deposit so be careful with Unite. They'll try and con you left right and center where moneys concerned.
Reply 5
They've not even taken it out of my account via direct debit as they said they would...I had to pay it online via the website.
A property-related opportunity has come up for me and I'm likely to move out of The Plaza in the next month. Is getting some rent back from Unite going to be out of the question?
Reply 7
Yes I would have thought so. Read through your contract and if you're still unsure go ask at reception.
Reply 8
You should be able to get out of paying future instalments, or get your cheques back if you've already handed them in that way. Sometimes they'll have reserve lists but be prepared to have to find a replacement tenant.

Latest