The Student Room Group

STIs and Smear tests - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

lella_m
Can they reject you? :/ That's a load of rubbish! If you want one, you should be able to have one to be honest xx

Well that's what I thought... although maybe if I booked a seperate appointment it would work better?

:s-smilie:
There'll be a grey area where some people miss the injection to protect against the virus that causes cervical cancer but I think in 4/5 years time there will be absolutely no need to be screened before age 25 because you'll have already had the innoculation against HPV when you're younger. Doesnt help us right now I suppose.

I suppose its a case of just being wary of symptoms of it, and knowing that the NHS is probably quite stretched without doing smear tests for paranoid young people.
Danielle89
There'll be a grey area where some people miss the injection to protect against the virus that causes cervical cancer but I think in 4/5 years time there will be absolutely no need to be screened before age 25 because you'll have already had the innoculation against HPV when you're younger. Doesnt help us right now I suppose.

I suppose its a case of just being wary of symptoms of it, and knowing that the NHS is probably quite stretched without doing smear tests for paranoid young people.

Not paranoid as such (although Jade Goodys news did remind me of it) I just don't understand the reasoning behind a 25 yr old age limit, when someone like Jade is this ill at 27 or something like that?
I'm pretty sure that the HPV vaccination does NOT protect against all forms of cervical cancer so you will still need to have regular smear tests.
i was drunk and regret it, it was a few months ago but sometimes i worry that ive got some std and one day ill get cancer or be infertile or something. it basically lasted about 30 secs befoer we got kicked out, he didnt cum or anything. is it still possible????

it made me feel like a slut i know it wasnt much but i still sometimes get really worried about it.
Reply 585
yes
Reply 586
Yes, it would be a sexually transmitted infection. But it would be unlikely to render you infertile. If you had his penis in your mouth with no protection, then it is possible bacteria or yeasts were passed to one another. If you've got a sore mouth, ulcers or a yeasty substance growing on your tongue - I'd seek advice from your GP.
really???
what kind of std??
i havent had anythin visible like coldsaw
Reply 588
Oral thrush is a possiblity. There are lots of bacteria on the genitals, and in the mouth as they are a nice warm moist environment. If you have had no soreness, or swelling, or smelly breath I'm sure you're fine.
is it still possible if i havent had any sores or anythin
it was a few months ago
ok thnx
i just want my mind to be put at rest. i cant seem to find the answeer on websites cuz he didnt cum and i only put it in my mouth a few times
Reply 591
I honestly wouldn't worry. If you brush your teeth every day and have no sores you're unlikely to have a bacterial or yeast infection.
Reply 592
No ffs, if you've got no symptoms. Stop being so dramatic.
i thought some stds were symptonless though
If you're worried, visit a GUM clinic.
I wouldn't worry too much but as there is a possibility then to put your mind at rest I would visit the GUM clinic. better to be safe than sorry

:smile:
Reply 596
Tinkerbee
Not paranoid as such (although Jade Goodys news did remind me of it) I just don't understand the reasoning behind a 25 yr old age limit, when someone like Jade is this ill at 27 or something like that?

Yes, but according to the numerous interviews she'd done about this, she had symptoms for a long time before all this kicked off (and a couple of places said she'd stopped going back for follow-up because she was scared). The evidence is that there is no benefit to screening asymptomatic under-25s. If you have symptoms then a smear should of course be the first line of investigation.
Reply 597
hello, i'm really paranoid that i may have an STI from a girl i slept with at xmas. We used a condom but did perform oral sex unprotected (both ways). I wasnt worried until recently i found out that you can still get an STI from oral!!! poor knowledge on my half i know. anyways ive had no symptoms but i'm still pretty pararnoid about catching something. i got tested the other day and am waiting the results but was just wondering how likely it was that i caught something.

the girl isnt a good friend, shes like the mate of a mate of a mate, and apparanlty shes rumoured to have been around a bit!
Please keep anon for personal reasons.

Two nights ago, I had sex twice with a guy I've known for a few weeks. Stupidly, we didn't use a condom both times. I'm on the pill, so most likely won't be pregnant (he didn't come in me anyway). I took one more pill after that night, and now I'm on my break.

My concern is of course STIs. I don't know much about the guy, except that in his line of work he has to have health checks so hopefully he's clear for the most serious stuff (AIDS hepatitis, etc). However, he was quite big so I tore a bit and I'm worried something might have gotten into my blood.

I have been watching out for symptoms...I've got some discharge (sorry for the graphic-ness), but it might be the bleeding on my break, and it stings when I pee (once again, sorry), although that might be the tearing. My question is, when should I get tested? Are there some STIs that take longer to show up on tests?

Sorry if I gave more info then needed...it just helped to get some of it off my chest as I'm kind of worried :smile:
Reply 599
Anonymous
Please keep anon for personal reasons.

Two nights ago, I had sex twice with a guy I've known for a few weeks. Stupidly, we didn't use a condom both times. I'm on the pill, so most likely won't be pregnant (he didn't come in me anyway). I took one more pill after that night, and now I'm on my break.

My concern is of course STIs. I don't know much about the guy, except that in his line of work he has to have health checks so hopefully he's clear for the most serious stuff (AIDS hepatitis, etc). However, he was quite big so I tore a bit and I'm worried something might have gotten into my blood.

I have been watching out for symptoms...I've got some discharge (sorry for the graphic-ness), but it might be the bleeding on my break, and it stings when I pee (once again, sorry), although that might be the tearing. My question is, when should I get tested? Are there some STIs that take longer to show up on tests?

Sorry if I gave more info then needed...it just helped to get some of it off my chest as I'm kind of worried :smile:

HIV takes up to 6 months to show up, but all the others should be detectable sooner. I'd wait until your period is over and then go along - or just call up and ask when they'd recommend.

Quick Reply

Latest