The Student Room Group

STIs and Smear tests - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Ok, thank you for your help!
Hi, Im going to go to the gum clinic tomorrow just because I need to put my mind at rest. Ive read the NHS choices website about visiting a GUM clinic and it seems like the doctor or nurse decides what tests you need? Is that right?
Basically Im 20, have had 7 sexual partners. For all but 2 Ive always used condoms. 2 were virgins when I slept with them, and the 2 I havent used condoms with I knew were clear of anything.
done a couple of chlamydia tests (mainly for the free sperm key ring!) and theyve come back clear and no tests for anything else. Im wondering what tests theyll do? Im not too worried because Ive never had any symptoms of anything (stupid to say I know, but most people will have some symptoms). All Im worried about is a HIV test because Im useless with needles!
Can someone put my mind at rest?
Im worried If I go in and say Im just here to put my mind at rest theyll laugh or something!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, Im going to go to the gum clinic tomorrow just because I need to put my mind at rest. Ive read the NHS choices website about visiting a GUM clinic and it seems like the doctor or nurse decides what tests you need? Is that right?
Basically Im 20, have had 7 sexual partners. For all but 2 Ive always used condoms. 2 were virgins when I slept with them, and the 2 I havent used condoms with I knew were clear of anything.
done a couple of chlamydia tests (mainly for the free sperm key ring!) and theyve come back clear and no tests for anything else. Im wondering what tests theyll do? Im not too worried because Ive never had any symptoms of anything (stupid to say I know, but most people will have some symptoms). All Im worried about is a HIV test because Im useless with needles!
Can someone put my mind at rest?
Im worried If I go in and say Im just here to put my mind at rest theyll laugh or something!

No, they're used to people going in just to get screened - and it's a good thing to take responsibility for your sexual health. They will probably do some swabs and if you agree to it, a blood test for HIV and syphilis. You don't have to have the blood test if you really don't want it, but it's the only way to test for those two conditions.
hm... how long after (unprotected) sex with potential carrier of chlamydia/other STDs tests will be able to determine that I've got something (or not)?
I had my first STI test today and it was extremely painful! The nurse spent around 5 minutes trying to get the speculum in place, locate my cervix, and take the swabs, but in the end she only managed to get near the cervix and just sent those swabs off for testing as it was just becoming too agonising. I bled quite a bit and the pain was intense, not a discomfort like people say it will be, but a real intense pain. It was at least as painful - if not more painful than - losing my virginity. Is this normal? I'm still sore there, again much more so than after having sex for the first time. Could it be because I've only had sex a few times (I only lost my virginity recently) and am still very tight and not used to anything being there? I still find sex painful. Or is this something to be worried about? Everyone says swabs are nothing to worry about and just uncomfortable but this was one of the most painful physical experiences I've ever had :frown:
My STI tests came back clear, but apparently my swabs showed I have vaginal thrush. I've not been having any symptoms - I have a lot of discharge but that's always been the case with me and it's odourless and fairly clear - and the nurse said it doesn't require treatment if there's no symptoms. Is it ok to still have oral sex or will my male partner develop oral thrush from going down on me?
My STI tests came back clear, but apparently my swabs showed I have vaginal thrush. I've not been having any symptoms - I have a lot of discharge but that's always been the case with me and it's odourless and fairly clear - and the nurse said it doesn't require treatment if there's no symptoms. Is it ok to still have oral sex or will my male partner develop oral thrush from going down on me?

If you have it then theres a possibility it could be transferred. You can get single tablet from the chemist to treat it.
Planning on having my first STI test this week. Have no symptoms or worries (monogamous long-term relationship) but just think it's a good idea to check everything is as fine as I think.

Is the test similar to a smear test?
Also, generally how long does it take for results to come back? Am I right in thinking they text if you're all in the clear and ring up if they've detected something?
Yeah its pretty much like a smear, speculum in, swabs and they'll also check the external area for signs or warts or sores.

They'll get in contact with you if there's something picked up, generally you get a text for chlamidia being clear at least, I got a slip in the post saying I was clear but that was because I told them it was fine to send stuff to my home address, if it wasn't they wouldn't have sent it.
Thanks for the info :smile:
I got a call and a text about a week later asking me to ring them to discuss results - don't be scared if you do get a text asking you to ring, it may well be that everything's clear and nothing to worry about but that's just the way they do it, or you might have something that's not an STI but just a minor infection like thrush.
I've been trying for so long to get an appointment for an STI test through a texting slot reservation system but I'm always told there are no more slots left, even if I text at exactly the time the reservation system opens. It's getting quite frustrating...
I had my first STI test today. I did the swab myself in the toilet (didn't realise they did it that way) and I hope I put it far enough in to show an accurate result. It was hard to push it up far though...

Also had a blood test. I was asked how long ago I'd had sex (a couple of months) and the doctor said something about whether or not it would show an accurate result of something or other? I can't remember what they said exactly now but I'm guessing a blood test doesn't show an accurate result for particular things unless it's been three months since having sex maybe? Possibly HIV? Can anyone help?
Best way(s) to prevent UTIs with and without condoms?
Probably really stupid but I'm freaking out a bit. Had unprotected anal sex a couple of weeks ago - about 8 days later I came down with what I think's either tonsillitis or mononucleosis. Still suffering badly now. But I've suddenly become terrified actually it's the initial flu-like illness people get when they've become infected with HIV?! I'm gonna get an STD check booked for when it's been 3 weeks since sex but until then I know I'll be worrying! More likely than not it's simply the time of year and that I work where's there's loads of people and germs floating about right?
I wouldnt worry too much about this.
Just wait for the 12 week window and then make sure you get a full sexual health check.
If anything, this worrying will be a learning curve for you to not have unprotected sex.
Hope it all goes well
I'm 24 and have been sexually active on-and-off for 6 months. I've had an invitation for a smear test, but seeing as you can only have a smear every 3 years, would it be advisable to wait another year or so seeing as I've only been sexually active for a short period of time? If I had contracted HPV in the past 6 months would my cervical cells even show up the abnormalities yet? Or should I go and have it done now?

Also, if I get my smear done at the sexual health clinic, can they do an STD test at the same time so I don't have to make two appointments to have speculums shoved inside me?!
I'm 24 and have been sexually active on-and-off for 6 months. I've had an invitation for a smear test, but seeing as you can only have a smear every 3 years, would it be advisable to wait another year or so seeing as I've only been sexually active for a short period of time? If I had contracted HPV in the past 6 months would my cervical cells even show up the abnormalities yet? Or should I go and have it done now?

Also, if I get my smear done at the sexual health clinic, can they do an STD test at the same time so I don't have to make two appointments to have speculums shoved inside me?!

Its always recommended to have a smear test done regardless of how long you have been sexually active. As cervical cancer doesnt only happen in those who have had sex. So id always recommend it. A smear test doesn't just show hpv but will also show any other abnormalities and show if your cervix is healthy. So never put off having a smear test please!
As for the sexual health check, yes. You can make the appointment and ask for them to do also do a sexual health check at the same time. It saves time and is also less discomfort for you. That way they can process everything at the same time and you will get both results when they are processed. The smear test may take longer depending on how many are in the system etc.
Best of luck with it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest