The Student Room Group

Yellow Certificate - International students

Hi all,

I would like to know how hard it is to get this "yellow certificate" from the Home Office, so i can be able to work part-time.
I just want to find out if you made an application in person or by post at the Home Office, for this "yellow certificate". I will write down some details that i already know.

Waiting times:
I have heard that if you make the application in person, you can get immediately a positive/negative response, but you need to make an appointment first with 5-6 weeks ahead, by phone only. Otherwise, by post, it take more than 4 weeks until you get an answer (at least this is what i read on other forums).

Problems:
I have heard that they can reject you even with 2000GBP into your account and a proof of accommodation paid?
On their website (bia.homeoffice), it says that you need to have money into your account for 3 months of living in the UK.
Now, if i pay 2 instalments for the accommodation (so, 6 months), and i have 2000GBP into my account...how they could say that you do not have enough money to live in the UK for 3 months? :smile:

I will arrive in the UK at the end of September and i just want to be prepared...

Thank you all.
Reply 1
i'm from romania. do I need this certificate in order to take a part-time job?
Reply 2
i am from Romania too
You will need the yellow certificate, in order to get a part-time job.
Even if we are in the European Union, we (Romanians and Bulgarians) must get this certificate.
You can check this information on the Home Office website (bia.homeoffice.gov.uk). You will see there a special section for Bulgarians and Romanians (new European Union countries).

One problem is that they do not give you exact details or requirements...everything is ambiguous.
For example, it says that you need to send them bank statements covering 3 months in the UK. The question is how we are supposed to get bank statements for 3 months, because we will arrive at the end of September and we will not have a British bank account until then. Therefore, we must wait at least 3 months after our arrival; in order apply for this yellow certificate…nice, right?
Of course, there are many other ways to get a work permit…but this is the “student” version.
Reply 3
the only thing i can suggest is speak to the international office and the careers office at your uni and also contact the home office,explain your situation and get more info as they're the only ones who'll be able to provide accurate information.
Reply 4
La Trampa
the only thing i can suggest is speak to the international office and the careers office at your uni and also contact the home office,explain your situation and get more info as they're the only ones who'll be able to provide accurate information.

Thank you..I wrote an e-mail to the "careers" center at the University (i didn't get an answer, but still waiting).

I will write an e-mail to the Home Office and i hope to get an answer.

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending