The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Swansea or Aberystwyth?

i'm more into the course but NOT into nightlife.

appreciate any information/ opinion.
thx
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello @isjhfjda,

I am a current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth and I am really enjoying it here!

Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide.

Computer Science here at Aberystwyth in in the Top 15 in the UK for Graduate Prospects for the subject of Computer Science (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019). At Aberystwyth there is access to a wide range of resources including dedicated Linux, Mac OS X laboratories and central servers in addition to robotic equipment including Arduinos, mobile robots and sailing robots. The course is taught by lecturers who have close links with the industry and software engineering conferences, ensuring that you are learning from cutting-edge research and the latest technologies.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and future career goals and the skills you will get from the course.

Also looking to see if the courses are accredited may also be useful in comparing courses, here at Aberystwyth the Computer Science course is accredited by the Chartered Institute for IT (BCS) on behalf of the Engineering Council, ensuring you are developing the skills required for industry.

I would also recommend speaking to currents students about their experience at each university as well as current academic staff. This may help give you more of a feel of each university and help in your decision making. We have an online open day coming up where you are able to find out more about the course and chat to current lectures and students. You can register here.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help!

Rebecca 😊
Original post by isjhfjda
i'm more into the course but NOT into nightlife.

appreciate any information/ opinion.
thx

I dont really know much about the actual courses but Computer Science is based in the new Computational Foundry on the Bay campus and has close links to industry. Maybe someone @Swansea University Enquiries can help you in more detail.

There are huge differences between Aber and Swansea and what matters is what you want. Aber is a small seaside town which is quite remote from most places. Swansea is a bigger city probably 15 times bigger than Aber and has good access to other places such as Cardiff in under an hour and Bristol in less than 2. Only you can decide what you prefer.

Have a look at the courses and student videos to help you decide.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=student+video+of+swansea&&view=detail&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dstudent%2520video%2520of%2520swansea%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Dstudent%2520video%2520of%2520swansea%26sc%3D1-24%26sk%3D%26cvid%3DAF7D50A91B354DFFB74E4FC0D72AD5F6
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=student+video+of+aberystwyth&&view=detail&mid=980A0CC87F392BA1AA37980A0CC87F392BA1AA37&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dstudent%2520video%2520of%2520aberystwyth%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Dstudent%2520video%2520of%2520aberystwyth%26sc%3D0-28%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D851607FE2DEE4DA1952931E9C53A1264
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
thanks very much for both of your information ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending