The Student Room Group

retainer taste in the morning

i am aware that the title of this thread doesnt make much sense lol.
basically, i've been wearing my retainer at night time for quite a while now.
but, when i wake up in the morning i have THE most disgusting taste in my mouth - literally it makes me feel ill. i cant explain what it tastes like but it is pretty disgusting.
so, is this normal? and if so are there any ways of reducing the taste?
its really inconvenient because if im sleeping at a friend/boyfriend's house for more than one night i have to wear the retainer (which im not bothered about) and its embarassing when i wake up and the FIRST thing i have to do is run to the bathroom and take it out before drinking loads of water to rinse the taste away.
i brush my teeth every night before i go to bed and i clean the retainer regularly - is this just how retainers are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No...
Maybe you should speak to the orthodontist.
I know i get a funny taste, but not to the extent you're describing.
i suffer from the same with my retainer.
i think retainers just suck in general.
Hah lol. I get that and so does everyone else no doubt...:p:

I don't thinking cleaning it makes any difference its just built up saliva overnight...
Reply 4
Its the same as if you were to have anything in your mouth. The saliva goes stale. Due to the shape of the retainer, air cannot flow around your mouth properly and you'll probably be sleeping with your mouth open. That's probably causing the bad taste.

I doubt there is much you can do about it - although you should probably check with your orthodontist incase there is something wrong with the plastic.
Reply 5
When you say you clean it, have you tried sterilising it?
Reply 6
I remember this, back in the day when i had to wear braces.. don't think there's much you can do about it tbh. just make sure it's cleaned regularly.
And think abou your straight teeth when its all over!
Reply 7
I had this and spoke to my dentist about it. He suggested using Milton Sterilising Tablets.

My advice is to do the same it got rid of the nasty taste and makes the retainer feel like new, you can get them at most super markets for a couple of quid hopefully that will help.
Reply 8
ughhh i hate them ,i have this horrible coffee taste whenever i take mine out. i think it's jsut the palstic:frown:
jaz_jaz
No...
Maybe you should speak to the orthodontist.
I know i get a funny taste, but not to the extent you're describing.

:ditto:
Redders
I had this and spoke to my dentist about it. He suggested using Milton Sterilising Tablets.

My advice is to do the same it got rid of the nasty taste and makes the retainer feel like new, you can get them at most super markets for a couple of quid hopefully that will help.

Yeah I get the same thing :/ Think It's just built up saliva... Gives me the worst morning breath; I wouldn't say it makes me sick though, It's not that bad. Maybe It's also to do with what you're eating/ not brushing your tongue.

I've been using this stuff peddled to me by my ortho, something called 'Retainer-Brite'; It's actually rubbish, doesn't remove all the smell and costs a small fortune, so I'll definitely try the Milton tablets cheers.
Do you floss your teeth OP? I know it's an odd question but if you don't, that definitely won't help.
The stuff you eat has to go somewhere and it doesn't just stick ON your teeth, it goes in between them as well. So all that build up won't be making the most pleasant taste in your mouth... when you floss for the first time in ages you get crap all over it and the smell is disgusting... shows what's going on in between. :s-smilie: *shudder*
But if you floss I'm sure you knew that and it's all good :p:
Maybe try cleaning your retainer with toothpaste in the evening/ morning and using mouthwash before bed/ in the morning to make doubly sure.
That's all I can think of! x
I just have bad breath :rolleyes:
Alison267
I remember this, back in the day when i had to wear braces.. don't think there's much you can do about it tbh. just make sure it's cleaned regularly.
And think abou your straight teeth when its all over!

I already have straight teeth!

The guy told him when I saw him for the last time that i should try and wear them for as long as possible at night for years afterwards, this would keep my teeth straight since as soon as I dont wear them for a couple of months the teeth would move slightly and they woundnt fit. Was anyone else told this? I mean its not exactly a hardship wearing them everynight....
Reply 14
My ortho gave me a specific mouth wash I could soak my retainer in so that it tasted minty when I first put it in my mouth. Also in the morn it kind of makes my breathe slighty minty but other than this, my ortho said there was nothing else I could do except for get one of those contraptions that suck the spit out of ur mouth while ur sleeping.

Hedgehunter

The guy told him when I saw him for the last time that i should try and wear them for as long as possible at night for years afterwards, this would keep my teeth straight since as soon as I dont wear them for a couple of months the teeth would move slightly and they woundnt fit. Was anyone else told this? I mean its not exactly a hardship wearing them everynight....

Well its true this happens to me, sometimes for a month i wont wear mine and my teeth shift as i still suck my tongue a bit forcing my top teeth out. I wish i had a permanent upper retainer like some of my friends, i only have a permanent lower one.
My orthodontist didn't even tell me I had to clean my retainer. *ewww*
I mean, obviously common sense tells me that I should, but seriously, you guys got stuff to soak yours in?!?! :shock:
All my bloke did was lean on my hair a bit, give me a retainer and told me to wear it, on pain of death. Thankfully I don't have to see him any more *yes!*
lol i know what you mean, i wouldn't say it makes me feel ill or anything but im always like " ugh..." when i take them out in the morning. I think cleaning your retainer thoroughly everyday helps but mainly it;s just that when you put it on you trap some spit in them, so in the morning it tastes kinda stale. What i do is when i take out the top one i make sure not to swallow or move my mouth, so i can't taste it yet. Then i rinse my mouth with water, then swallow, then i can't taste it much at all. Do the same for the bottom one.

But hey there worth wearing, they aint that unconformable in my opinion and if it helps stop your teeth going back crooked then it's worth it. My dentist told me to wear it for at least a year, preferably two years. He said i could wear it my whole life like more Americans do( i think life is their policy) but as long as i did two years the chances of them shifting back noticeably would be very low. I think it was something about the time it took for tissues in the gums and teeth to grow and heal again into their new positions, which he said can take over a year.
Hedgehunter

Ahh man. did you have 'train tracks' and now you've got a retainer yeah?
i wore my retainer for a couple of months then just couldn't be bothered, a few months later i tried but it wouldn't fit.. ahaha so i guess they moved abit, but there still straight, and i've not worn them in abit 2 years.
Just wear them until about a month or two after your last appointment, then i wouldn't worry about it tbh.
I also wear retainers and have been for the last 4 years! They suck! i mean well they help for a few days but then i have to wear them again...apparently for 'life'. However there's always cosmetic surgery nowadays.
The point is mine smell in the morning too. I just clean them with tootpaste and leave the paste for 5 minutes. Only problem is that the toothpaste can get stuck in the grooves. :frown:
Reply 19
I wear a retainer and get the 'morning taste'- eugh. I just try to clean it really well before I go to bed, and use mouthwash too and it helps a bit but I think that's just what we have to put up with when wearing a retainer.
Eugh.

And also, when I take it out for eating during the day, and put it back in, it always tastes disgusting :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending