The Student Room Group

What to do when finished cutting

I'm skinnyfat, 5'9 and 78kg (down 10kg/22lbs) and conflicted on what to do once I get back to the gym at the end of August. I've been lifting heavy and nothing but heavy from Jan-March(lockdown), but didn't know about nutrition, so I was just permabulking and probably lucky to get 60g of protein in a day. I see a lot of people saying that once you've cut the 'fat' from skinnyfat, go straight into lifting heavy - but I've already done that for a few months, albeit with the wrong nutrition. I'm not stick-thin but I'm still 'skinny' in photos and the like, and it drives me nuts and makes me feel devalued as a guy. I'd like to just jump straight into the hypertrophy workouts to pack on what I can, but I get conflicting answers saying you should lift heavy instead. What's the best way to go?
I read the thread title and thought you meant self harm :frown:
The gym isn’t my area of expertise so I can’t help there, but I’m just glad the OP wasn’t about what I thought it was :redface:
Firstly. How you look doesn’t define your value. There are more reasons to lift, but it will help your confidence and how your clothes fit etc! But you are still awesome however you look right now

A good programme will mix both heavy sets and more volume (both bring hypertrophy because stronger muscle is usually bigger). I personally recommend GZCLP for someone in your position, and then move on to other variations of the GZCL method. But here are some more programmes. If you want to be successful in the gym you need to follow a sound training structure. Your training has to be structured!

Methods like GZCL and 5/3/1 have a good amount of volume. They also have smart systems of progression. These programmes might sound complicated but you just need to do some reading... I can help you with any questions. These are way better than “Stronglifts 5x5”

Here is a list of programmes and this FAQ and also the FAQ on the fitness forum here will have everything you need.

https://thefitness.wiki/routines/strength-training-muscle-building/

Nutrition can be trial and error we all make mistakes. For protein I like chicken, boiled eggs (usually for breakfast). Oatmeal (breakfast or before a workout). Sometimes I make my own healthier version of a full English (beans,toast,chicken sausages And or eggs). Protein shake for convenience. Milk. Potatoes, pasta, rice. Just find what works for you.

Also final note don’t dreambulk. Aim for a surplus of TDEE+ 200 for me that means I can eat 2200-2300 and bulk well.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest