The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Teofilo
Sounds good, Solya.

Given that I've never been to York in my life, I'm probably not the one you'd want to be organizing it though!

I'm still debating whether or not to bring a suit for the freshers ball.....

I won't be the one either, never been to the UK in my life :p:

I just saw my dream ball gown in a mall yesterday.... :s-smilie:
University of York
York
Reply 61
Is the Fresher's ball really worth going to? Sounds a bit **** the fact you won't know anyone and it seems like the worst place ever to meet people.
Reply 62
I guess you'll know the people you live around and other randoms from your first night - why would it be a particularly bad place to meet people? No worse than a bar/club surely...

What's the ball gown like, Solya?

Tx
Reply 63
Solya
I won't be the one either, never been to the UK in my life :p:

I just saw my dream ball gown in a mall yesterday.... :s-smilie:

I suppose we'll both just be followers then .. :cool:

Did you buy the dress BTW?

I'm still trying to save up for accomodation!

Is anyone going to orientation week?
Reply 64
TrishS

Tx

It's knee length, strapless and pink silk :love: but that and the ticket together will be as much as about my flight home at Christmas or a week of accommodation so I guess I'll skip it in the end.. totally heartbroken. So I didn't buy it but bought 2 cardigans instead (both pink:smile:) and they're making me happy.

Will you guys be going?
The Freshers' Ball?
I think I will be, just for the sake of dressing up. (I have a thing for evening dresses...)
Reply 66
Do we need to buy tickets for the fresher's ball? And what's orientation week?
Yeah, you can buy them from http://www.yusu.org from the 15th. The orientation week is for international students too, so you shouldn't need to attend it
I don't know whether to go or not. I'm a bit worried that I'll just be standing on my own like a right lemon if I do go to the Freshers Ball. But still... it's an excuse to get a nice dress. Aaargh. Dilemma. :woo:
Reply 69
Ziggy_Stardust
I don't know whether to go or not. I'm a bit worried that I'll just be standing on my own like a right lemon if I do go to the Freshers Ball. But still... it's an excuse to get a nice dress. Aaargh. Dilemma. :woo:

I think by now you'll have got to know someone on your course and even if you haven't you'll probably know people on your corridor on the first day and you'll be going together. :smile:
Solya
I think by now you'll have got to know someone on your course and even if you haven't you'll probably know people on your corridor on the first day and you'll be going together. :smile:

That's true, and I suppose everyone will be in the same boat. But still, it's an excuse to panic, and I'm starting to feel nervous so I need some good excuses. :p:
I want to know what everyone else's going to wear. :teeth:

:p:
Reply 72
TrishS
I guess you'll know the people you live around and other randoms from your first night - why would it be a particularly bad place to meet people? No worse than a bar/club surely...

Tx

It's fine, people go with those that they are living with and then you'll inevitably get talking to a few people there.
Reply 73
Yeah all you have to say is "who else is going to the freshers ball?" and you will all end up going out together most likely in a big group where you can all get to know each other better anyway!
Reply 74
I'm going :biggrin:.

...and toothwort, I'm wearing a strapless black dress that comes to just below my knees. With a boned bodice covered in black lace and a skirt of varying lengths. I found it in my favourite second hand shop when I was fifteen and it's love :smile:.

What a terrible description.

:smile:

Tx
Reply 75
i really cant decide if i go to the freshers ball....i was looking forward to it when i assumed it would be on the last night...not to keen on it being first night but i love my suit!! hopefully il find some of my flatmates on facebook or something when i find out where im living, then can make them be my freind in advance?? also any 1 at all doing physics? all my freinds seem to have started chatting with folk on there course but i have yet to find any1 lol
Oops. Ignore me!
inthehat
i really cant decide if i go to the freshers ball....i was looking forward to it when i assumed it would be on the last night...not to keen on it being first night but i love my suit!! hopefully il find some of my flatmates on facebook or something when i find out where im living, then can make them be my freind in advance?? also any 1 at all doing physics? all my freinds seem to have started chatting with folk on there course but i have yet to find any1 lol

Aww! I've decided I'm going to go after seeing some lovely dresses in Debenhams yesterday - now I've just got to choose which one. :smile: Anyway, I'll be your friend in advance. :p: I'm doing Maths, so it's not too far away from Physics and I'm also yet to find many people doing mine; it seems like it's only the English people who are very sociable here!
I can't decide which dress to wear as well.
I am thinking of a gray strapless dress (from Ted Baker), but then I'd still need to lose 1 or 2 pounds so I won't feel self-conscious all evening. :s-smilie:
But I'll go anyway. :biggrin:
Reply 79
Ziggy_Stardust
it seems like it's only the English people who are very sociable here!

No. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending