The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

they've already started in eastenders havent they? there's the asian boy (tamwir, or something like that, can never nremmbr his name) and chelsea's sister who are already talking about applying to oxbridge.

then again, tbh the idea of the asian boy applying isnt really unusual given that he's pakistani and well us asians are quite obsessed with top notch unis.....
Reply 101
Lidka
Like that, yeah. And yes, I shall temporarily relinquish my life-time antipathy to sport if it means I can see you. Consider yourself greatly honoured

I consider myself greatly honoured. Really. :biggrin:

Reply 102
i think we are all missing very important something here, the fact that they are practically begging someone to stick another car ontop of the senate house, reasourcefull students should seize this offer with open arms!
Reply 103
Horrible idea - it would make me NOT want to go. Why do they need to 'advertise' anyway? They're already oversubscribed, albeit perhaps not by the demographic of student they want to somehow have more of :s-smilie:
Lilia
Todd from Corrie got a place at Oxford a couple of years back...but then decided to marry Sarah/ decided he was gay and went off to work in London...or a combination of the two...or something like that:wink: Not sure if that encouraged more people to apply or not!!

Haha I just remembered that storyline, it was ages ago! I remember Eileen was at parents' evening and his teacher said Todd was 'Oxbridge material'. I then asked my mum what 'Oxbridge' was. And here I am, several years later.

Proof that Corrie can change lives.
Ad-Alta
Horrible idea - it would make me NOT want to go. Why do they need to 'advertise' anyway? They're already oversubscribed, albeit perhaps not by the demographic of student they want to somehow have more of :s-smilie:

You kind of answered your own question.
Reply 106
It seems that despite outputting vast amount of leaflets on the subject, a lot of people are unaware of the amount of financial help available and the relative affordability of Cambridge compared to other universities. So it's perfectly reasonable that Cambridge try and use other means of communicating to people.
Reply 107
Ad-Alta

Brilliant. The fewer snobs the better
Newer (and hilarious) article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/sep/03/cambridgeuniversity.television

Cambridge University is going to extreme lengths to shuck off its exclusive image in time for its 800th anniversary next year. Yesterday it emerged that it has contacted soap-opera script editors to persuade them to include storylines that make the university seem more accessible to the unwashed masses. Some soaps have already responded, and a draft Coronation Street scene was leaked to G2.

[INT: THE ROVERS RETURN. FIZ and RITA are sitting together.]

FIZ (toying listlessly with a barmcake): Ee, Rita, I'm that bored wi' life in Britain's last native textiles factory. I wish there were summat else I could do. Broaden me horizons a bit. I feel a nebulous longing for an experience I cannot name but which nevertheless seems somehow beyond me grasp. Does tha know what I mean?

RITA: I do, love, aye. Under this heavily Elnetted coiffure has always beaten the excitable pulse of a restless mind. Fortunately, I have the endlessly tormentable Norris to take me frustrated mental energies out on. But a young lass like you - you should tek yourself off to one of them university places. They're grand for t'kind of mental stimulations after which you seem to be wordlessly reaching. There's one in Cambridge, I've heard tell.

FIZ (choking on her cider and black): Me? Go to Cambridge? Tha's talking through tha hat, our Rita! Yon bastion of intellectual elitism's not for t'likes of me. I like chips.

RITA: Things have changed, lass. Everyone can go now. There are grants and bursaries and all sorts. They've a subsidised chip van and bottle of Vimto under every architrave to make you feel at home.

FIZ: But I'm the sole carer for our Chesney. How would he manage?

RITA: Don't be daft. Does tha' not know - yon Cantabrigians have some of the most generous school support packages around. I'm sure they'd find ways to help a girl like you fulfil your familial obligations without letting either Chesney or your studies suffer. Tha's tubby, tha's common and tha's ginger. Whatever college emblazoned you in its colours could fill its diversity quotas for t'next decade.

FIZ (setting her pint firmly down): Rita, I find meself filled wi' aspiration. Hopes of walking in the groves of academe, accruing benefits denied the likes of me for centuries stir in me breast and strain to rise. I'm going to go! Go, and study Anglo-Saxon, Land Management and Butty-Making - 1350 to the Present Day. Wish me luck!

[She drains her glass and exits. CUT TO: BETTY standing behind the bar, furiously polishing the bitter tap as she mutters.]

BETTY: Daft ha'porth. I were t'first female master of Corpus Christi and look where it got me

Subsidised chips and vimto...classic.
Reply 109
Jigglypuff
Newer (and hilarious) article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/sep/03/cambridgeuniversity.television

Subsidised chips and vimto...classic.

AMAZING.

what we need is a hollyoaks style docusoap. Heaven knows there's enough drama within each college court to rival their fictional exploits.
Reply 110
Apagg

Unfortunately I'm already in, so...
And, on the subject of advertising, did you save one of your choices for De Montfort then?
Apagg

:p: Agreed.
Reply 112
Ad-Alta
Unfortunately I'm already in, so...
And, on the subject of advertising, did you save one of your choices for De Montfort then?

Still, at least it'll help prevent people similar to you. Better than nothing.

I'm sorry?
Reply 113
Vazzyb
what do they want, new bedders?

oh myy :frown:
So many people negged me for this - I was only joking!
Reply 114
Ad-Alta

wow you're stupid.
Reply 115
Apagg
Still, at least it'll help prevent people similar to you. Better than nothing.
I'm sorry?

If that's people who wouldn't want to go to universities who intensively advertise themselves then I was asking why you didn't spare poor old DMU a UCAS slot.

Chewwy
wow you're stupid.

Hardly, I just don't grasp why they seem to want to boost a certain student demographic. People who are intelligent will always know about Oxbridge, regardless of whatever 'class' they are.
Ad-Alta

Hardly, I just don't grasp why they seem to want to boost a certain student demographic. People who are intelligent will always know about Oxbridge, regardless of whatever 'class' they are.

I think you're wrong. In my school (which was a pretty average state comprehensive) I knew several people who were clearly good enough to get into Oxbridge (some of whom were much cleverer than me) who assumed that they wouldn't fit in in Oxbridge or weren't clever enough to go there and so didn't apply.

The view that you either need to be a genius or a toff to go to Cambridge is remarkably prevalent in some state schools (encouraged, more often than not, by teachers and careers advisors). It is people in those schools who, if Cambridge were portrayed more positively in the media (which could include, for example, a positive storyline on Eastenders), might not see it as out of their reach or socially exclusive. Or at least they might be persuaded to pick up a prospectus, read it, and make up their own mind if Cambridge is for them.

Half the battle to increase the proportion of state school pupils in Cambridge is to persuade people to apply. I'm sad that it has to come down to advertising, but if the message isn't getting through (which it manifestly is not) then I don't see why it should be counted out just because it's what DMU do.
Reply 117
Ad-Alta

knowing it exists is rather different to knowing it is a place that opens its arms to people such as yourself.
Ad-Alta

Chewwy
knowing it exists is rather different to knowing it is a place that opens its arms to people such as yourself.

:ditto: Chewwy, and what a horribly narrow minded and overly-simplistic thing to say :s-smilie: Its obvious that individuals within certain class categories face an enormous amount of psychological barriers to forming aspirations for Oxbridge. Everything about their situation is constantly working against them so as to errode any shard of confidence faster than it can take root! Its reinforced by the overwhelming majority of their immediate and wider social circles. Even if Cambridge is responding purely to governmental pressure, I'm extremely glad to see how open minded they are behaving in their approach.

Apologies if I come on a bit strong, but I spent two years in (for instance) an A level English Literature class where 18 out of 20 spent the bulk of the time muttering 'Oh I dunno, I'm not one of them clever types' (or close enough) over and over in various different forms like some sort of mantra; freaking out the moment the lecturer dared to transition from description to analysis, mainly because they were put off by the 'big words'. I have no doubt that they were fully capable, but they collectively adopted self-destructive reflexes when it came to confidence. I could go on, but nevermind. The point is I'm 100% behind any attempts to subvert or infiltrate any source of influence at work in this context.
Reply 119
Craghyrax
:ditto: Chewwy, and what a horribly narrow minded and overly-simplistic thing to say :s-smilie:

Surely no more narrow minded or simplistic than assuming that a certain demographic is going to be influenced by a television soap?

Latest

Trending

Trending