The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths UOL online Msc Data Science review

Anyone currently taking the online MSc in Data Science offered by UOL Goldsmiths? I would like to get your opinion on what you think of the course so far? good? bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn't think they were running the programme in 2020? It looked pretty good through, so keen to hear 1) if it's available online and 2) what current students thinks of it! TIA
Original post by danielryre
Anyone currently taking the online MSc in Data Science offered by UOL Goldsmiths? I would like to get your opinion on what you think of the course so far? good? bad?

I am currently enrolled in UoL's MSc Data Science online program, don't do it, it's not worth it, the quality of education being provided does not have any standards at all.
There are lots of problems including with their VLE (Virtual Learning Environment), tons of technical problems, no reply to queries, once you pay the fees you are on your own, no one is going to hear you.
Whatever queries you have you are on your own completely. All they will tell you is to "have patience".
There are lots of universities out there that are cheap and have much more good reviews, and this is the first time they are doing this particular degree online. So, it won't have accreditation for a while. Looking at the progress, I will say it won't have accreditation ever, it will be shut max within few years (few years is stretching).
Please don't misunderstand this review for all the degrees of UoL, I am particularly talking about MSc Data Science, academic direction from Goldsmiths, I have no knowledge about other degrees being provided by the UoL.
Reply 3
Thank you for your review! I am about to accept their offer and to register for modules. Low teaching quality seems like a common problem for a number of UK taught online masters in computer science related fields (including that from U of York where I was a student). Try the MITx courses and you'll see how much better they are. Thanks again!
Reply 4
Can anyone currently doing the UoL MSc in Data Science elaborate on why it's bad? I'm also enrolled at the University of York at the moment in their MSc in Computer Science degree and it's absolutely awful. The don't teach you at all. The have a 1-2min video introducing the topic and from there it's just reading chapter after chapter from a textbook. If you need help, the tutors will just tell you to read it again and are often sarcastic and rude. I, like half the other students, are looking at alternatives to transfer to.
How much video content does UoL have? This is really important for me. Having no lectures/video content at all is the killer. You just spend 20 hours+ a week reading and end up without a real understanding and no practical skills.
Reply 5
Hi bal063! I was an online MSc student with the University of York before too but I dropped out after the second module. I finished the first module on algorithm with an overall mark of over 90 but I didn't finish the second module. I had similar troubles you are having with their courses. Perhaps not already mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I was so shocked when I found out the second module was created by someone not in their faculty. Even worse, that creator doesn't seem like an academic expert in that field. To my mind, they must be trying to milk cash out of students by providing sub-par courses. The tutoring part was disastrous as well to the extent that I did not feel worthwhile continuing with the MSc. The second module gave me that kind of feeling that even if I passed with flying colours, I wouldn't have learned anything really useful. So, enough ranting on York. To answer your question, I find this UoL webinar particularly useful: https://universityoflondon.online-event.co/presentation/data-science-sciences-and-computing-day?utm_source=London University International Programmes
Reply 6
Thanks Mllfun20! This webinar was really helpful. It answered a lot of my questions. I like that the programme is effectively what they have on campus and the fact it's actually practical skill based. I can't emphasize enough how important this is to me. Would be great is they had more video content but 1 hour per topic is a hell of a lot more than we've been getting at York. In many regards, it sounds the total opposite to York's degree.
I think I've made up my mind and will accept my UoL offer :smile:
I am a third year Goldsmiths Student but I do a social science degree not Data Science (completely different of course). And while I can't tell you about the course, I can tell you about the university itself.

Unfortunately, over the three years I've been there it has degraded a lot. This is an art school. It focuses on the arts.

Yet the current warden wants to completely strip social sciences, arts and performance in favour of adapting to be more Law orientated. Which is ironic because they neglect and are taking away rights to their staff. They intend to fire all the staff and have one tutor teach an entire module across year groups.
I am currently on Data science as well, i have done 4 modules. in short, it is very bad and i regret i didnt pull the trigger to get a refund by 21 days. The tutor is not responsive, the video is full of error. Any coursea/udemy course is way better than that. There are not much content in the lecture, if you are planning to switch your career to DS, dont do it here.
It's a shame to hear that. I'm due to start the course in April. Tbh, I'm just doing it to get the MSc qualifications but I will probably look at other sources like Udemy or even Youtube to get info. Is that what you're having to do Anonymous #2?
In my experience even some face-to-face undergrad courses are like this also, even at some top universities..
So I am taking the Uol/Goldsmiths Msc Data Science course. I was in the first intake in April 2020 and I will admit that there have been a lot of teething problems. The fact that the course was launched at the beginning of the COVID outbreak has not helped. However, a new director started in September 2020 and things are improving slowly. I have found the majority of courses well taught and am a great fan of the commercially oriented syllabus.There are no tutorials as such but we have student study groups that are now well organised and an active slack workspace with around 400 students, meaning that most student questions will be answered in minutes. You have until March 29th to register and as long as you are ready for some organisational issues I would be happy to recommend the program.
Thanks for the heads up TonyHasler, I guess teething issues are to be expected with any new course. The student study groups and active workspace sound reassuring. I've already registered so hoping things will be better for this year's intake (hopefully!).
I did start the course this month but have decided to quit. The people who are flying through the course have some computer science or programming knowledge even if it is basic. The ones like me who were accepted on to the course with no such knowledge are really struggling with the python module. The video lectures are good but then in between exercises are set in which you have to use tools that were not taught to you in the lecture and when you ask for help you are referred to the aforementioned lectures instead of actually going through it with you. People are using what knowledge they have already and some of the savvy ones started learning Python months in advance. If you have a basic understanding of computer science/ programming then go for it. If not forget it, you will quickly find yourself out of your depth and falling behind. There are better taught programmes as a previous poster has mentioned.
Reply 13
I've also just started the course this month. So far I'm enjoying it. Coming over from York, UoL's programme is light years ahead of theirs. The topics are actually commercially relevant and there are actual video lectures - Thank God! In regard to Python, yes it would be hard if you're coming in with no knowledge at all. The activities are a huge jump from the videos which is annoying me a little. They did make people with a non CS background take a course in Python Machine Learning through Coursea before starting though, so I think it was fairly clear they wanted us to have at least a basic knowledge of Python before starting. I don't come from a CS background but taught myself Python online before starting. No disrespect to the poster above but, it's a Masters. If you're expecting them to teach you from absolute zero, it's not exactly going to be masters level, is it?
In summary for others, is it perfect? No. It still has organizational issues but they're trying to fix it and the head of the programme really cares about making it good. As a whole, I can recommend it, just don't expect gold. The syllabus is good and, importantly, relevant. It's better than many other programmes, especially given the price, but if you want to pay more for a high end one, you can probably find better.
Original post by Anonymous
I did start the course this month but have decided to quit. The people who are flying through the course have some computer science or programming knowledge even if it is basic. The ones like me who were accepted on to the course with no such knowledge are really struggling with the python module. The video lectures are good but then in between exercises are set in which you have to use tools that were not taught to you in the lecture and when you ask for help you are referred to the aforementioned lectures instead of actually going through it with you. People are using what knowledge they have already and some of the savvy ones started learning Python months in advance. If you have a basic understanding of computer science/ programming then go for it. If not forget it, you will quickly find yourself out of your depth and falling behind. There are better taught programmes as a previous poster has mentioned.

I am sorry you have decided to quit. I have just got my first volunteer for the Python study group so it has been slow to start. If you want to reconsider I can try and expedite the study groups that in previous terms helped students like yourself with no programming background.
Original post by TonyHasler
I am sorry you have decided to quit. I have just got my first volunteer for the Python study group so it has been slow to start. If you want to reconsider I can try and expedite the study groups that in previous terms helped students like yourself with no programming background.

Hi Tony,

Thank you that's very generous of you. However I have also realised (too late) that what I was looking to qualify for and is more appealing to me is a data analyst role rather than data scientist which you don't tend to need a masters for so will look to update my skills to apply for roles in that area instead. To the previous poster, yes I did do the MOOC beforehand but although it was super useful, it was not adequate for the level pitched on the course (in my opinion). I also had offers on non remote courses at other universities who also accepted non CS grads and what they all said they would do is like a 2 week bootcamp at the start to get you ready which it what I assumed would happen here. On the plus side, I did get to talk to some very talented and friendly students on there and wish the best of luck to you all.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,

Can I ask if you started any other modules too and how you found them difficulty-wise? I'm thinking of starting in October (doing the Python module first and then more modules from April 2022 if I'm getting on with it ok). So, I have some time to learn Python before then. I have a background in research so fairly knowledgeable on the stats side but little computing (I did Computer Studies A'Level but that was a very long time ago!). Thanks.
Original post by phi_phi_d
Hi,

Can I ask if you started any other modules too and how you found them difficulty-wise? I'm thinking of starting in October (doing the Python module first and then more modules from April 2022 if I'm getting on with it ok). So, I have some time to learn Python before then. I have a background in research so fairly knowledgeable on the stats side but little computing (I did Computer Studies A'Level but that was a very long time ago!). Thanks.

It is difficult for me to judge what it would be like for somebody with little programming experience as I have been programming for 45 years! I would say that academically it is generally fairly straightforward. If you hate programming you will not like it as every course so far has demanded a fair amount of python programming (except the stats course). If you don't dislike programming and have time to get your python skills a boost before September I think you will be OK.
Original post by TonyHasler
It is difficult for me to judge what it would be like for somebody with little programming experience as I have been programming for 45 years! I would say that academically it is generally fairly straightforward. If you hate programming you will not like it as every course so far has demanded a fair amount of python programming (except the stats course). If you don't dislike programming and have time to get your python skills a boost before September I think you will be OK.

Thanks. That's helpful to know. I have done a little bit of what could perhaps be described as programming in Stata (e.g. loops and macros) and quite enjoyed it but very limited experience. I've recently started learning Python so will focus on that for the next few months.
Reply 19
I'm thinking of doing it too. Compared it to many others and it looks very current and thorough. I will say, I was surprised that it was so heavy on exams. Not open book and account for 70% of most modules. So although it looks really good, it's probably one of the hardest Data Science masters degrees. I've read people saying there are better DS programs. Can anyone give any examples? Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending