The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths UOL online Msc Data Science review

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
I did start the course this month but have decided to quit. The people who are flying through the course have some computer science or programming knowledge even if it is basic. The ones like me who were accepted on to the course with no such knowledge are really struggling with the python module. The video lectures are good but then in between exercises are set in which you have to use tools that were not taught to you in the lecture and when you ask for help you are referred to the aforementioned lectures instead of actually going through it with you. People are using what knowledge they have already and some of the savvy ones started learning Python months in advance. If you have a basic understanding of computer science/ programming then go for it. If not forget it, you will quickly find yourself out of your depth and falling behind. There are better taught programmes as a previous poster has mentioned.

Thanks for the info. Where would you recommend instead? I have no programming knowledge either and was thinking of doing DS at UOL.
Reply 21
I'm not sure which course is currently the most highly rated as I've been out of the loop for the last 4 months since I quit. However I would say if there's any chance of you being able to do a face to face teaching course instead of long distance, it would probably be much better as if you're stuck the tutors have nowhere to hide(!), also it's easier to ask your peer group for help. I'm guessing that for a Masters, it'll only be a couple of days a week so if you're able to commit to that, perhaps that option is worth pursuing instead.
Reply 22
Original post by Meemys
I'm not sure which course is currently the most highly rated as I've been out of the loop for the last 4 months since I quit. However I would say if there's any chance of you being able to do a face to face teaching course instead of long distance, it would probably be much better as if you're stuck the tutors have nowhere to hide(!), also it's easier to ask your peer group for help. I'm guessing that for a Masters, it'll only be a couple of days a week so if you're able to commit to that, perhaps that option is worth pursuing instead.

Okay. Good advice. Thanks!
The assessment structure is changing this term to become more coursework oriented. The extreme example of this is Blockchain that is 80% coursework and 20% written examination. Although this is an extreme example, and most courses still have just a 30% coursework component, there are changes afoot. In general, the programme is improving after a very shaky start in April 2020.
Original post by TonyHasler
The assessment structure is changing this term to become more coursework oriented. The extreme example of this is Blockchain that is 80% coursework and 20% written examination. Although this is an extreme example, and most courses still have just a 30% coursework component, there are changes afoot. In general, the programme is improving after a very shaky start in April 2020.

Good to hear that the programme is going well (some of the early reviews were a little concerning). I'm just about to apply to start in October. I'll start with the Data Programming in Python module and, if that goes well, hoping to start studying part time from April. I'm a bit concerned that some of the modules I'm interested in are still showing as not available for study (they were originally due for release in October 2021) but it will be October 2022 when I want to study them so still plenty of time.
Reply 25
I have completed just 2 modules of the UoL DS Masters as I work fulltime and asides some teething issues I have enjoyed them both and would recommend them. To me the syllabus is a lot more credible than what I have seen advertised by other universities. I like the Director and he seems to genuinely care about the programme. The ML lecturer is excellent. I think one thing that may be confusing is whether this programme is a conversion programme. Unlike other unis that explicitly state it I don't think UoL does and I think it has aspirations not to be such a programme. If someone is struggling with UoLs programme perhaps look for a conversion programme instead. But avoid those that are locked into partnerships with legacy products like SAS. Open source is what is required in the workplace as well as GCP or AWS skills in my opinion.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 26
I've decided to go with MSc Data Science in Health and Social Care at Edinburgh. 100% online, 100% coursework and has options for the same modules. It is affiliated with HDRUK and is ranked 16th in the QS World University Rankings 2022 the fifth-highest UK entry.
(edited 2 years ago)
I am working full time and I find this online MSc flexible enough. I just need a certificate so I can either go for further study (PhD) or different career.

The main thing that I like about this MSc is that it outlines the module very well. The syllabus available for each module also looks neat.

Regarding the lecturers, systems, enquiries, it is not that good, sometimes awful.

The reason why I choose UoL was because some other universities have for example "Data Science Fundamentals" module that would include Python, R, Big Data, ML and many more components. UoL on the other hand have assigned a module for each of these components, thus, we have Python, AI, Big Data, ML modules (4 separated and there are many more).

Therefore, in my transcript, I will have multiple modules that makes the recruiter understand easier what I have covered. Moreover, the modules' assessments are changing slowly, from 70% exam weight, to only two coursework (50% each and can help build portfolio).

Please bear in mind that I did not care if other universities have better teachers or certain contents. The module that I needed for my career change were all clearly outlined in UoL. Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies both requires a lot of independent studies. The contents will always be available in Internet.

Please also note that I did not have any math and statistical components in my previous studies and the absence of it made it difficult to enrol into better universities or even change career. For me UoL was suitable and the slack group (with many active students) is what supported me the most.

Every term is 6 months, so you have 6 months to learn the module and complete the assessments. This time window helped me with managing my work-life-study balance.
Original post by sld77
I've decided to go with MSc Data Science in Health and Social Care at Edinburgh. 100% online, 100% coursework and has options for the same modules. It is affiliated with HDRUK and is ranked 16th in the QS World University Rankings 2022 the fifth-highest UK entry.

That course looks really interesting. I already work in health services research and think that I would like to continue working in the same field as a Data Scientist. A concern for me would be that the I may end up covering some of the data science topics in less depth due to the greater coverage of health and social care topics. There is also slightly less flexibility about how to study (i.e. hours per week you need to commit) so I think the UoL course will be better for me, although Edinburgh is tempting. Good luck with your studies.
Great to see some more opinions on here from current students. I'm still a little worried about some of the organisational aspects of this course but I've decided to give it a go. I've been accepted onto the MSc in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence and have just signed up to do the Introduction to Programming module starting next month. Will see how I get on with that and, hopefully, start some more modules in April 2022.
Could you provide the name of slack group or even a link? Thank you
Hello
What is the slack workspace name?
Thank you
Reply 32
Original post by sld77

if they took student satisfaction into account it wouldn't make in on the list.
Original post by phi_phi_d
Great to see some more opinions on here from current students. I'm still a little worried about some of the organisational aspects of this course but I've decided to give it a go. I've been accepted onto the MSc in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence and have just signed up to do the Introduction to Programming module starting next month. Will see how I get on with that and, hopefully, start some more modules in April 2022.

Hello, I am also joining the programme MSc Data Science and Artificial Intelligence at UoL in April 2022. How do you find it so far? The contents of the course and the lecturers. I'm already a student from a computer science background. Is the course worth it ?
Original post by phi_phi_d
Great to see some more opinions on here fromCan yo current students. I'm still a little worried about some of the organisational aspects of this course but I've decided to give it a go. I've been accepted onto the MSc in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence and have just signed up to do the Introduction to Programming module starting next month. Will see how I get on with that and, hopefully, start some more modules in April 2022.

Can you please share your thoughts about how you like the course so far?
Does anyone know if we need to propose our own topic/deliverables for masters project or will have to choose from set of pre defined projects? Would also be helpful to know if we will have any academic supervisors for these projects (esp for online mode of study)
(edited 2 years ago)
Can anyone share their experience regarding the exam component? How difficult is it?
Reply 37
The program states that students will spend 5-6 hours per course/module per week. Can anyone who is in the program, or spoken to someone in the program, tell us how many hours people WITHOUT technical backgrounds are spending per week? And of course, any other comments are welcome.
Reply 38
I've just started on the MSc Data Science and AI course.
Has anyone completed the degree? I'd like to know what is said on the degree certificate, and how it differs from the Goldsmiths brick and mortar degree.
Hi everyone, I'm about to graduate from UOL with an MSc degree in Data science. For the most part, I enjoyed the program, in addition to that I've learned a lot and the program has a great balance between programming, stats, and theoretical related subjects. of course, there is a lot of room to improve on these subjects. The only downside of being a student at this university is the lack of attention from management and staff. Don't expect them to answer your queries in a short time, it might take weeks to months which is mind-blowing to me. However, i understand where are they coming from, the UK is going thro a lot post-Covid and the increase in interest rates along with inflation, i assume most UK universities are going tho some inner hardships, so i'm kind of cutting some slack on this.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending