The Student Room Group

any one just as confused as me ?

Okay so I went to a crap school so my GCSEs suggested i'd get CCC I actually attained AAA and am predicted three a's next year so i've had to rethink all my uni choices. I'm so lost and have a list as long as my arm ! LSE, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary, UEA, Sussex, Hull, Leeds, York. And then theres that cmbridge dream everyone has lol.

Anyone as lost as me? In my defence i'm the youngest (31st august) and if I was born a day later i'd be in first yr right now.

I should add I want to do politics
Me too. I'm indecisive not only about the institution but the subject I want to take.
Reply 2
I had a problem with being indecisive, ended up taking an unplanned gap year, but all is good now :smile:
Reply 3
Mate what course do you want to do? And also that list of uni's that you gave all actually aint that good (except lse, cambridge) so u could def. aim higher with AAA at as.
What do you want to do? You want to go somewhere which is firstly in a place you will actually like (though I surrendered to bribery from my uni :s-smilie:), and secondly somewhere that is good at what you want to do. I would aim at the top uni's though if you're on for AAA, maybe one choice of somewhere you'de like that isn't one of the best (generally very good uni's are in nice places).
Reply 5
I thought my list of unis were pretty decent ? Queen mary and Royal holloway are quite good for politics
Chaotic Evil
Me too. I'm indecisive not only about the institution but the subject I want to take.

Any idea of roughly what you want to do - which A levels you taking?
Chaotic Evil

History Lost in Physics

It's not that I don't know, I've just had a kind of epiphany a few times after being convinced I knew what I wanted to take. I've already started writing my PS but in the back of my mind I'm still thinking "should I be doing something else?"
Chaotic Evil
It's not that I don't know, I've just had a kind of epiphany a few times after being convinced I knew what I wanted to take. I've already started writing my PS but in the back of my mind I'm still thinking "should I be doing something else?"

It's the curse of the clever (i'm an optomist; I don't look at is as indecisiveness :biggrin:) - you end up enjoying so much you're never sure what you should do. In the end you just have to pick something and hope like hell it's the right choice. In the end you can always do something else in the end :smile: (free units are a blessing at unis that give them)
Hi,
you are not ALONE hah lol. I want to study business
I'm confused about my back ups.. I have to choose only 2 .. between :

Oxford Brookes - nice campus
Hull - nice campus, small town
Portsmouth - Nice city
Kent - Love the school, medway is TOO SMALL

Idk .. I really cant decide, I hate small towns but I love Kent's campus and courses... Student Life is really important for me
For all those who are not sure trust me I was worst this time last year. One minute I want to do a specific course the next another. Had debates with my dad, my AS grades made me rethink what I was gonna do e.t.c. Only till last minute did I decide what I want to do. Even after than 1 uni change the structure of the course which put me off and another told me they didn't do the course and should apply somewhere else.

Then I had to look again, was so indicisive until I saw the social pol and econ course at LSE.

This time last year there was no way I would imagine where I would be going to uni and what I would be doing in the next few years.

My advice is not to worry too much and when the time comes to submit your UCAS application you would just know what to do. I can't tell you how but that is what happened to me
Reply 12
don't worry, im so confused!!!

im one of the younger ones too, so i don't feel old enough to be making all these decisions!

I wanted to do forensics but that means carrying on with chemistry at uni and i dont think i can stand it!!

now im looking at like criminology and social policy, and saw a course i loved at LSE but i think its very unlikely il get in, even though i should get the grades, the amount of applicants per place, the odds are against me!

Don'tworry about being unsure, my college is on my back but there is still time, and you don't want to rush this important a decision!
megscfc
don't worry, im so confused!!!

im one of the younger ones too, so i don't feel old enough to be making all these decisions!

I wanted to do forensics but that means carrying on with chemistry at uni and i dont think i can stand it!!

now im looking at like criminology and social policy, and saw a course i loved at LSE but i think its very unlikely il get in, even though i should get the grades, the amount of applicants per place, the odds are against me!

Don'tworry about being unsure, my college is on my back but there is still time, and you don't want to rush this important a decision!

I wouldn't worry about applications per place too much. As long as you have good grades and a good PS they should take you. You are better off applying even if they say no than not applying
Reply 14
I'm really really confused as well... I was pretty sure I wanted to do a science course, and figuring I liked chemistry and biology, I landed on Biochemistry.... only now its looking like a tough course that I could get bored with (and I dont think I have a flair for the whole independant research thing)... Natural Sciences at Lancaster looks good, I wish I could apply for natural sciences at more places but no maths is really holding me back :frown::frown: would it be a massive disadvantage if i wrote my personal statement for life sciences, biochemistry, natural sciences and biological sciences courses (bearing in mind I'm considering applying for oxford)??

i also like the look of developmental biology, and neuroscience :s-smilie: indecisiveness is the bane of my life

sorry for the waffle
Hi Veggie!!

Don't worry, everyone feels massively overwhelmed with uni when they first start considering it!!

It's good that you already know what you want to do, well done for that.

Sit down and have a think about what you want from university. Would you like to be on a big campus with lots of people, or a little one? In a town or a city? (Or the countryside!). Is nightlife important to you? What about shopping? What class sizes do you like, and how do you like to be taught? How do you like to be assessed? What kind of halls do you like? Catered or self catering? (So unis only offer self-catering). Do you want a good chance of getting an ensuite, or do you mind sharing? Or does it even matter?

These are all points to consider, and once you have some answers you can start comparing your answers to what each of your unis on your list (make as long a list as you like!!) offers you - You may find that some of choices don't match any of your wants, and you can strike them off. Once you have a list of unis which meet "what you want", try talking to the students already at those unis (use facebook and here as valuable tools) and get a feel for what it's really like. Have a look at the unis prospectuses and the alternative prospectuses available.

Remember at this point that league tables are important (take a look at both the league for the uni in general, and for your course), but they're not the be all and end all. If you chose the top rated uni but hate the campus and teaching style, you'll be miserable for 3 years and probably won't do as well as you could with a uni 5 places down the table with a different teaching style.

Ring the unis up and chat to them about the course - In my experience, I've always found people to be willing to answer all questions I have. Equally, come prepared to open days and interviews with a list of questions to ask. Also, if it's a uni you really want to go to, ask really good questions even if you know the answers - It's more likely to get you remembered out of the crowd.

I went to Cumbria's open day, and asked a question at the start of the day. He praised me at the time for the question, and then 5 hours later I had him for interview and he remembered me and my question!!

Good luck, Veggie - And don't panic!!
Chaotic Evil

Chaotic Evil everyone whether they doing the second year of A levels this year or someother higher qualification gets confused ie which university should i apply to and which degree should i do,but dont forget u be spending a few years at that particular university.
Reply 17
I applied last year to read Politics at Hull, and then on results day asked to switch to History because I felt the course suited me better. Just goes to show your first choice isn't always the be all and end all! Also, look for uni's that offer you a free elective module, so you can study other subjects as part of your course. Say for Politics, you could also study a Chemistry module! Good luck and don't let it stress you out! x

Latest

Trending

Trending