The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Ghibli fest?

Are we definitely having a TSR Ghibli fest then? I know the waterfest looks like it's not possible (cold weather and uni not enthusiastic about it) but can this go ahead because it is the only 'event' that I am remotely interested in and it looks like there are plenty of people that really like studio Ghibli stuff.

If yes, can we all decide on where it will be (depends on numbers and availability of TVs)

who wants to come,

what DVD(s) we will watch

...and what sort of time it should be (I would guess mid to late evening as we all have shopping and unpacking to get out the way).

I just really want this to go ahead :biggrin:

Apologies if there was already a thread dedicated to this, my memory is very well renowned for being useless :o:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I only have spirited away on DVD, but I can bring it if needs be. 'tis probably one everyone has though.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what Ghibli is :no:
ChicaBonita
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what Ghibli is :no:

:ditto: lol
Reply 4
Studio Ghibli is a japanese animated film studio, famed for films such as Spirited Away (won an Oscar), Castle In The Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.
im out then :biggrin:
I have 15 Studio Ghibli DVDs, and a TV. So, count me in. :-)
Reply 7
jermaindefoe
im out then :biggrin:

Same, don't think it's quite my cuppa :wink:
I'm definetly in x10..

I have Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and My Neighbor Totoro, but they are on my external harddrive - Can only be played on a PC really.

I was so very close to buying a Ghibli box set.

Also, if possible, can we throw a Makato Shinkai short-film into the mix? Namely, Byōsoku Go Senchimētoru.. It's amazing :biggrin:
Reply 9
How do you people find these films? They all sound so obscure...
The Studio Ghibli ones are all in HMV under the anime bit. In my local HMV, they had their own section near the front of the store. Seems a lot of people are fans. :smile:
Yep.. Started with Spirited Away for me, which made me find Princess Mononoke and other Ghibli films.. Now I've started finding other Japanese animations. :smile:
Reply 12
Kalby
How do you people find these films? They all sound so obscure...

I wouldn't say they're obscure at all. They're disney-level famous in japan, and they've become very prominent overseas as well since Spirited Away won an Oscar. They're shown on Film4 quite a bit, too.
Howl's Moving Castle is also a book, so anyone who's read it would find the movie.
Reply 14
sounds interesting, i might drop in...
Reply 15
I still have a soft spot for Nausicaa :awesome:
Reply 16
I own Howl's Moving Castle and have seen a few more :smile: Amazing animation!
Howl's Moving Castle <3
Reply 18
i've got my neighbour totoro, kiki's delivery service, nasuicaa, howl's moving castle, porco rosso, laputa, and mononoke, come to think of it that's pretty much every miyazaki film, took me a while to realise ghibli actually make non-miyazaki films....mononke's still my favourite. Could this do-hickey be extended to general anime? My Akira boxset is about due for another outing, but it's not everyone's cup of tea, bursting guts, futuristic bike gangs and god in a jar don't exactly fit in to a ghibli fest. There's also my 26" widescreen CRT that's probably never gonna fit in my room, that's certainly available for a ghibli fest if someone helps me carry it...
Reply 19
Missy67
I wouldn't say they're obscure at all. They're disney-level famous in japan, and they've become very prominent overseas as well since Spirited Away won an Oscar. They're shown on Film4 quite a bit, too.

Ahh I had no idea they were that big. I just assumed they were a random series of Japanese anime, so I was confused how everyone was a massive fan. Is there like 1 definitively good movie to watch? I'm curious now...

Latest

Trending

Trending