The Student Room Group

Protein Powder: Questions and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Converse Rocker
Has anyone ever tried adding protein powder to weetabix and milk?

Or will it just merge into the milk and make a disgusting paste. :tongue: I'm thinking of getting some powder but don't know what use it with, I could blend it but just dropping it on something would be slightly easier.

Just put it into a shaker with water, or milk if you're wanting extra protein, and voila.

A blender is perfect to add oats (Ready Brek works well), fruit etc and ensure there's no lumps whatsoever, while on the minimum effort end of the scale, there's just stirring the hell out of it with a spoon and drinking the shake a bit lumpy.
Reply 781
Original post by Mark85
Own brand cola mixed with ground dried apple peel.

Ground oats in water.

Why do you want a 'slow releasing' Carb drink anyway?

Just something to add to a protein shake for breakfast/ preworkout meal (normally my preworkout is my breakfast)
Original post by I am Ace
Just something to add to a protein shake for breakfast/ preworkout meal (normally my preworkout is my breakfast)

Oats
Reply 783
I've decided I want to come off mass blitz from maxiraw which helps with weight gain. I want to go with promax for lean muscle growth but I was wondering if there are any similar products from maxiraw?
which one is similar to promax WPI or WPC?
Original post by ironman92
I've decided I want to come off mass blitz from maxiraw which helps with weight gain. I want to go with promax for lean muscle growth but I was wondering if there are any similar products from maxiraw?
which one is similar to promax WPI or WPC?

Is there something other than 'lean muscle'? Fat muscle?
Reply 785
Original post by jarekd1234
Is there something other than 'lean muscle'? Fat muscle?

Thanks for the unhelpful post. Pretty sure you knew what I meant. I want to get lean instead of putting more weight hence why I want to stop using mass blitz which has more carbs.

anyway I've gone with WPC
Original post by ironman92
Thanks for the unhelpful post. Pretty sure you knew what I meant. I want to get lean instead of putting more weight hence why I want to stop using mass blitz which has more carbs.

anyway I've gone with WPC

They're all powdered food, pick the one that helps you hit your macros for the day.
Reply 787
What do you guys think of Gold Standard Whey Protein (Optimum Nutrition), a bit on the expensive side but it does contain whey isolates...

just finished a tub of Precision Engineering Egg and Milk Protein.

Thanks
Reply 788
Original post by AH94
What do you guys think of Gold Standard Whey Protein (Optimum Nutrition), a bit on the expensive side but it does contain whey isolates...

just finished a tub of Precision Engineering Egg and Milk Protein.

Thanks

It is good but there is no reason to buy it unless you get it for a lot cheaper than standard. I picked up a cheap tub due to an online pricing glitch and it isn't any better than myprotein/bulkpowders stuff.

It has less than half a gram extra of protein per 30g scoop and is under ten calories less at most.

There is very little difference between isolate and concentrate - the only major one being that isolate is slightly more pure so the end product will be very slightly higher in protein and lower in lactose. The cost difference far outweighs this benefit though so unless you are lactose intolerant or have problems with eating/drinking whey - it really isn't worth spending an extra £20 to get an extra few grams of protein.

Other than that - the only things you can really compare about different brands are taste and mixability and ON isn't really superior to myprotein or bulkpowders in either IMO.

TL;DR: Save your money and go cheap - no point in paying over the odds for what will only be fractional benefits at best.
Hello , I'm using Muscletech Premium Whey and Bsn True-Mass combo . This is an excellent effect . I would recommend .
What exactly is Hemp protein?

In other news, still never had a shake, why is it that people are so opposed to supplements when they don't know anything about them. :redface:
Reply 791
Go for pea and hemp protein powder, you can mix it with anything and it has an ideal amino acid profile - wont put any fat on you
Reply 792
What do you guys think of USN products, particularly the 100% whey?
You could do with taking on a higher level of calories mate and working your arse off in the gym. That way you should achieve mass as well as muscle. It takes time too, dont expect overnight success. And remember, there 3 different body types so depending on which one you are, you will see different results. http://www.theproteinworks.com/body-types-explained.html
Sorry if this question has been asked time and time again, but i've been using Matrix Anabolic Whey Protein for the past few months and it is extremely good for the cheap price (main reason I buy it), but the only downside to it is.. it tastes absolutely ****ing nasty and I mean nasty! I've been forcing myself to drink the shakes hoping I would get used to them but I just can't drink them anymore lol. I'm on a budget, student and do not have much extra money to spend, so was wondering if you guys know of any whey proteins that are cheap and easily accesible in the UK?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ProcrastinatePro
Sorry if this question has been asked time and time again, but i've been using Matrix Anabolic Whey Protein for the past few months and it is extremely good for the cheap price (main reason I buy it), but the only downside to it is.. it tastes absolutely f*cking nasty and I mean nasty! I've been forcing myself to drink the shakes hoping I would get used to them but I just can't drink them anymore lol. I'm on a budget, student and do not have much extra money to spend, so was wondering if you guys know of any whey proteins that are cheap and easily accesible in the UK?

I recently discovered The Protein Works. They are getting some great reviews as they were started by the guys who started myprotien. The protein shakes are unbelievable with flavours like Cherry Bakewell and Butterscotch Ripple. Prices are really cheap. Whey protein mixes great and no froth. Defo recommend them.
Reply 796
Original post by Mattw89
Too little rugby and too much beer was my fault in the first year of uni so I'm wanting weight loss first and foremost for the new football season and rugby season. Like a good few stone.

I'm not going on a diet as such, more just a lifestyle change! Hence so many threads as I sort it all out.

So far i've learnt when I'm at the gym to do weights then cardio, and have got lots of diff barbell and dumbell exercises to do. With this i'll also be aiming to do a good 40 mins of cardio and do this about 4 times a week.

I have no quarms in having protein drinks, and I kinda understand the purpose etc. But should I be drinking them if I want weight loss. I want to be slimmer and toned and more muscles, but just wondering if the two are conflicting afterall the protein can be seen as a (good) weight gainer. (i think)

I work at the gym so prob could get discounted price but if not been linked to this http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)-(refill)/

Check this forum out for cutting tips mate.

http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/forum.php
Has anyone tried The Protein Works? Just been reading an article that they were started by the guys from Myprotein and unlike MP these days, the service is spot on. My gym mate gave me some of their whey protein, Cherry Bakewell. Best shake ever tasted no ****! Think I might give the protein works a go if there's any positive feedback on here for them?
Original post by tomjenkins1995
I recently discovered The Protein Works. They are getting some great reviews as they were started by the guys who started myprotien. The protein shakes are unbelievable with flavours like Cherry Bakewell and Butterscotch Ripple. Prices are really cheap. Whey protein mixes great and no froth. Defo recommend them.

Cheers for the recommendation, found their website going to check them out later.
Anyone going to Body Expo this year? Went down last year and was impressed with the size of it and loved the freebies!! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest