The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's a discrace that you aren't given the doctor status! If we knew who to protest to we could. It would save the pHd years.
if u work in asia...u'll probably be called dr. in most countries hehe

so yup...hk i will be back after i leave!! (quite a depressing thought but for my own sake...)
I thought the government paid for university?!?
Reply 23
Cuddling cows seems much more fun than cuddling test tubes, I don't know about the whole pHD thing, it could be a bit boring.
Reply 24
I thought the government paid for university?!?

For us lucky Scots who decide to study in scotland they do but everyone else has to pay reduced fees.
horsecrazy
For us lucky Scots who decide to study in scotland they do but everyone else has to pay reduced fees.

If only Cambridge were in Scotland.... :hmpf:
Reply 26
horsecrazy

are you serious? Scottish people don't pay any tuiton fees at all if they remain in Scotland??
I wonder would they extend this to Northern Ireland people lol You know all the Ulster-Scotts and everything.
Hawk
are you serious? Scottish people don't pay any tuiton fees at all if they remain in Scotland??
I wonder would they extend this to Northern Ireland people lol You know all the Ulster-Scotts and everything.

It's not AS good as it sounds. They add at lump sum of £2000 onto your student loan and the accomodation is really expensive. And you have to live near me my mum.

Oh, please stop making me feel guilty about wanting to get the hell out of here! :secruity:

Hawk - never come to Scotland. Sheesh, I'd have thought you Irish were a little streetwise. Never mention the work "Ulster" in conversation - you'll get you're head kicked in. :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Yes its true, we dont pay anything if we stay in scotland, there was loads of stuff in the news about it last year, about how scottish unis were going to suffer because we werent having to pay fees etc. you should start a protest Hawk :biggrin:
(hence the not really caring that I havnt heard anything from RVC or Liverpool!)
horsecrazy
Yes its true, we dont pay anything if we stay in scotland, there was loads of stuff in the news about it last year, about how scottish unis were going to suffer because we werent having to pay fees etc. you should start a protest Hawk :biggrin:
(hence the not really caring that I havnt heard anything from RVC or Liverpool!)

THIS IS SO BLOODY UNFAIR.

*bleh*
umm...and i'd rather practice than do research...like that bit more hehe
lessthanthree
Mustn't be bad as far as HK goes, but here? that's nothing ;_;

where is "here"? im from scotland and i know very few pople who make 40,000 its more than my parents make combined and id be delighted with a wage like that, especially since it would be for a job id love doing
horsecrazy

yeh we dont pay anything (except the £2000 "Graduation TAX" Is it tax or did i make that up? lol it might be fee) -and thats the way it should be.
Thats the reason why there are so many americans on the glasgow vet course - because they bring a ton of money to the university every year.
Scots have to pay their fees if they fail a year though, or if they change courses.
Back to the Nottingham subject :wink: can't believe they are doing it - already got 6 UNDERfunded vet schools, it's totally crazy :rolleyes:
Reply 34
NO WAY, Nottingham is nothing like that, you only here the bad stuff. Its only bad in a few isolated parts, but not near the university!
lessthanthree
england.

and for the training you have to go through,and the nature of the job, 40,000 p.a. is peanuts.

You qualify for special access schemes and education maintenence allowance if your parents' income is 30,000..so go figure.

I'm Scottish, and while 40 grand is not exactly below the poverty line, it's not fabby. I mean,look at it this way - we're all rather intelligent, hard working and personable. We could make soooooo much more doing law or medicine.
lessthanthree
Well, we stayed on campus for 4 days and two people got mugged. go figure.

one of the guys who went to nottingham this year for economics came back to visit us today (crashed into our chem class and saved us from absolute boredom...) and he said nottingham's quite a nice place. dunno *shrugs* :rolleyes:
lessthanthree
I hated it (:

haha i have no comment :rolleyes:
platinumki
I'm Scottish, and while 40 grand is not exactly below the poverty line, it's not fabby. I mean,look at it this way - we're all rather intelligent, hard working and personable. We could make soooooo much more doing law or medicine.

All im saying is that you could make a comfortable living out of that, and when you enjoy your job, the money kinda becomes irrelevant.
voodooshaman
All im saying is that you could make a comfortable living out of that, and when you enjoy your job, the money kinda becomes irrelevant.

well said...i'm choosing vet for the interest not the money. that's just a bonus. :rolleyes:

Latest