The Student Room Group

Rolls Royce degree apprenticeship 2021

Could somebody tell me what the programme consists of, what kind of uni/work balance is there? particularly in the first year.
I don't work for Rolls, but have been at college/ uni with them during my engineering apprenticeship. I believe for a engineering degree apprenticeship, the first year will generally be a full academic year at a higher education college/ University. You will do a PEO (Performing Engineering Operations) which is a practical NVQ Qualification; usually takes up 2-3 days a week. Then alongside this you'll generally do 1-2 days in which you'll do the first year of the university course. This could change depending on the course provider, so Bristol can be different to Derby. Come May/ June you'll be in the workplace full time.

Then for the next 3/4 years you'll be either on day release or block release completing the rest of the university course. Day release being 1 day a week out of work (paid), and block release being 2-3 weeks out of work at a time instead.
Reply 2
Original post by OblongPea
I don't work for Rolls, but have been at college/ uni with them during my engineering apprenticeship. I believe for a engineering degree apprenticeship, the first year will generally be a full academic year at a higher education college/ University. You will do a PEO (Performing Engineering Operations) which is a practical NVQ Qualification; usually takes up 2-3 days a week. Then alongside this you'll generally do 1-2 days in which you'll do the first year of the university course. This could change depending on the course provider, so Bristol can be different to Derby. Come May/ June you'll be in the workplace full time.

Then for the next 3/4 years you'll be either on day release or block release completing the rest of the university course. Day release being 1 day a week out of work (paid), and block release being 2-3 weeks out of work at a time instead.

thank you, that's really helpful
Original post by Zaltman
thank you, that's really helpful

No problem,

Just a note: a degree apprenticeship can be pretty full on (I'm on one now). The first year is fine as you usually have all week in education. Generally you'll be in the workplace in half terms however.

When it comes to the 2nd/3rd/4th Years and you're attending day release for example, it can get easy to get left behind with uni work, so will require a fair amount of personal time to study to get a good mark.

As most providers generally lean towards day release, it means they're condensing a whole weeks worth of uni work into a day; meaning they tend to be 8-10 hour days at uni. And for the other 4 days of the week you'll be at work. You'll likely get a few study days off from work for exams, however the rest is expected to be done in your own time.

Majority of employers though are very supportive and will assist you as best as possible along with mentors from uni and the workplace (So you're well looked after).

I find doing the course, and then seeing where it applies to the workplace right after you learnt it helps greatly.

Happy to answer anything more on this if needed.
Original post by Zaltman
Could somebody tell me what the programme consists of, what kind of uni/work balance is there? particularly in the first year.

Hi Zaltman
Did you start the degree apprenticeship in 2021 in Bristol? Would like some information for new starters. Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending