The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Vet Med Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HB288
I was leaning towards Pollock as I thought I'd heard that one recommended as the main one on one of the talks for vetmed, but from the sounds of this chat there are a lot more options so I'm going to look into them more I think :smile:

Yeah, I think we must have been at the same talk, I was looking into Pollock at first but now I’ve done a complete 180. I prefer self-catered and there’s loads around the same area as Pollock so you’d get on the bus at the same place as everyone else anyway. (I did read reviews about one called Fraser Court which seemed to have a mouse infestation in both 2017 and 2020, and apparently the water, and therefore heating, is shocking)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I spent yesterday doing so much research into accommodation at Edi. There’s actually so many halls which offer close bus routes to Easter Bush. However reviews on some are (as expected) not the best with Mice and no hot water. As vet students I feel like that is even more important as working 9-5 and coming back smelly might lead to some uncomfortable nights out! I was wondering if anyone here has considered private? I’ve opted for Meadow Court. I’m slightly worried I will be the only vet med student there or undergraduate. If anyone else books or considers it there please let me know! (All I’ve done is reserved a room for now for £1!! You have until May to actually decide and then September it’s finalised! Seems like a lovely place close to the Meadows and bus route is only 37 mins!!) I’d love to get to know people!! It’s surprising how much I’ve changed since looking into accommodation. I might still go to University owned halls.
Original post by CLAW2021
I spent yesterday doing so much research into accommodation at Edi. There’s actually so many halls which offer close bus routes to Easter Bush. However reviews on some are (as expected) not the best with Mice and no hot water. As vet students I feel like that is even more important as working 9-5 and coming back smelly might lead to some uncomfortable nights out! I was wondering if anyone here has considered private? I’ve opted for Meadow Court. I’m slightly worried I will be the only vet med student there or undergraduate. If anyone else books or considers it there please let me know! (All I’ve done is reserved a room for now for £1!! You have until May to actually decide and then September it’s finalised! Seems like a lovely place close to the Meadows and bus route is only 37 mins!!) I’d love to get to know people!! It’s surprising how much I’ve changed since looking into accommodation. I might still go to University owned halls.

Yeah I spend like all of yesterday researching. I don’t think I’d consider private myself because I like the security that halls are the universities responsibility in a way, like I wouldn’t want there to be massive issues and I can’t even get hold of my landlord but that’s just my fears, probably wouldn’t even happen. And I doubt you’d end up the only VetMed anywhere, even if there’s none in your house, there’ll be like 10 or more within a 2 minute walk and you would be at the same or nearby bus stops!
Original post by CharlT03
Yeah I spend like all of yesterday researching. I don’t think I’d consider private myself because I like the security that halls are the universities responsibility in a way, like I wouldn’t want there to be massive issues and I can’t even get hold of my landlord but that’s just my fears, probably wouldn’t even happen. And I doubt you’d end up the only VetMed anywhere, even if there’s none in your house, there’ll be like 10 or more within a 2 minute walk and you would be at the same or nearby bus stops!

Yes that’s very true!! And that was one of my worries too but essentially this halls is just owned by a company who have 24 hour maintenance as well. But I completely understand. My pros and cons list is down my arms!
Original post by Mas2405
Congratulations! I think it will probably be my first choice too, I’m still waiting to hear back from Glasgow but the staff seemed so nice at the interview so that definitely makes me want to go to Edinburgh!

Hiya, I’m exactly the same! Waiting to hear back from Glasgow and rly not sure which I’d pick if I did get an offer from them too! I like that Edinburgh is more modern and the city is so lovely but the bus journey is worrying me a bit given it’s already a 9-5course. Can’t wait to meet you all on the course and congrats on your offers!! :smile:
Reply 25
Hi! I’m a UK applicant and Edinburgh is my top choice, congrats to you all for your offers!! Is anyone thinking about Salisbury Court for accommodation??
Original post by Em411
Hi! I’m a UK applicant and Edinburgh is my top choice, congrats to you all for your offers!! Is anyone thinking about Salisbury Court for accommodation??

Yes! I applied yesterday! Only annoying thing about the application that I found was I thought you could rank them but you just have to pick 5 and you can’t say which your favourite is so I want Salisbury (would also be very happy in the other places) but can’t say that Salisbury is my favourite? I don’t know if that makes sense? But it was kinda frustrating cus I don’t see the logic behind the system being like that. If any of you are wondering I applied to Salisbury, east newington, hermits Croft, south clerk st, and Fraser court
Reply 27
Yes! I applied yesterday! Only annoying thing about the application that I found was I thought you could rank them but you just have to pick 5 and you can’t say which your favourite is so I want Salisbury (would also be very happy in the other places) but can’t say that Salisbury is my favourite? I don’t know if that makes sense? But it was kinda frustrating cus I don’t see the logic behind the system being like that. If any of you are wondering I applied to Salisbury, east newington, hermits Croft, south clerk st, and Fraser court

Ah that’s bizarre! Thanks for the heads up! :smile:
Reply 28

yeah I’ve thinking of applying to similar! I’ve found they’re the best in terms of the balance for location
Original post by Em411

I am but I've only started looking, I made a spreadsheet of all the accommodations with self/catering, distance to campus, ensuite/shared bathrooms, rent, etc. so I could figure out what would be best for me and since it only needs to be in for august I have some time to decide.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lucy897
yeah I’ve thinking of applying to similar! I’ve found they’re the best in terms of the balance for location

Yeah, you’ve got the best of both worlds with self catered but it’s still some of the closest to Easter bush that you can get. Also even if you ended up as the only vet in your flat or on your floor (which is unlikely), you’d be at the same bus stops as everyone from those accommodations as well as any vets in pollock so it’s good in that sense too!
Would anyone else be driving to campus instead of getting the bus?
Reply 32
For anyone that’s already applied for accommodation, can you put down two types of room at the same accommodation block for 2 of the 5 choices?? I couldn’t find the answer on the website!
When I looked at the accommodation application there were options for "2020-2021 Term Time", and it also shows "2019-2020 Term Time". Does the former mean applying for a flat for this academic year that started September 2020? I would have expected to see something like "2021-2022", as that is when those who start their studies this autumn (9/2021) would need a flat. Has the application for the coming year even opened yet?
Original post by Em411
For anyone that’s already applied for accommodation, can you put down two types of room at the same accommodation block for 2 of the 5 choices?? I couldn’t find the answer on the website!

I think you can yeah, so the way it came up for me was each room type for each place had an add to basket button. I only applied to one type for each place so I can’t say 100% but I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t add two types from one building to your basket, like a single room and then a large room or something. None of the options greyed out or anything when I chose one from that building.
Original post by marwil20
When I looked at the accommodation application there were options for "2020-2021 Term Time", and it also shows "2019-2020 Term Time". Does the former mean applying for a flat for this academic year that started September 2020? I would have expected to see something like "2021-2022", as that is when those who start their studies this autumn (9/2021) would need a flat. Has the application for the coming year even opened yet?

I’ve just checked the website and it says applications opened March 1st so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the right one. I do agree it’s weird years but I guess it’s applications of 2020/2021 not having the accommodation 2020/2021, if that makes sense? Everything in MyEd was leading me to believe I could apply, like even the email after I firmed my choices says the next step is to apply and didn’t seem to have a date for when this was from? I mean there’s plenty of time if you want to wait so don’t stress, but I think it’s the right one just with a weird name.
Hi! I just got an offer from edinburgh! super excited because it was originally my top choice, but glasgow was one of the first unis to give me an offer and I've already been looking into glasgow and accommodation etc. and am really excited to go there as well. what are the pros and cons of the two? and which one would you choose?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 37
I think you can yeah, so the way it came up for me was each room type for each place had an add to basket button. I only applied to one type for each place so I can’t say 100% but I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t add two types from one building to your basket, like a single room and then a large room or something. None of the options greyed out or anything when I chose one from that building.

Ah great thank you so much!
Reply 38
Original post by sarahs59
Hi! I just got an offer from edinburgh! super excited because it was originally my top choice, but glasgow was one of the first unis to give me an offer and I've already been looking into glasgow and accommodation etc. and am really excited to go there as well. what are the pros and cons of the two? and which one would you choose?

Congrats! I’ve still not heard from Glasgow but I think I’m going to firm Edinburgh. Edinburgh vet school is more modern and has an exotics ward which I don’t believe Glasgow does. However it is quite a long bus ride to get to the vet school whereas Glasgow has halls within a ten minute walk. I’ve heard from other people that Glasgow vet school has a more personal feel to it and the city is bigger/less touristy so it really depends on what you’re looking for.
Original post by Mas2405
Congrats! I’ve still not heard from Glasgow but I think I’m going to firm Edinburgh. Edinburgh vet school is more modern and has an exotics ward which I don’t believe Glasgow does. However it is quite a long bus ride to get to the vet school whereas Glasgow has halls within a ten minute walk. I’ve heard from other people that Glasgow vet school has a more personal feel to it and the city is bigger/less touristy so it really depends on what you’re looking for.

Hi! Thank you so much for the info, yes the long commute was something I was worried about but it seems worth it! Definitely leaning towards Edinburgh right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending