The Student Room Group

Economics offers 2009

Scroll to see replies

Paulwhy
Well thers should be no need for speculation on what their typical offer is. i.e. there is UCAS Course Search and departmental websites.
In terms of his particular situation he should email the history departmental at Exeter.

Ok thanks, and I was simply speculating because their offer is AAA-AAB but I've not come across any AAB offers for history from them yet.
Reply 381
Clements-
Ok thanks, and I was simply speculating because their offer is AAA-AAB but I've not come across any AAB offers for history from them yet.

I know. And I am saying that there is no need for that kind of speculation when unis are overt and public with their typical offers.
Paulwhy
I know. And I am saying that there is no need for that kind of speculation when unis are overt and public with their typical offers.

Ah ok.
Reply 383
Clements-
Yeah. Cos I'd heard that they were notorious about GCSEs so I decided to ask. They were very blunt about it lol.

Was this entire discussion on straight Econ? I am doing Eco Hist and when I went up for the open day I spoke to the lecturer about my grades and my GCSE's and he said I should apply just to make my PS stress why I want to do the course opposed to straight Econ. The course has 12 places and it said 83 applicants whether that was for '06 or '07 I don't remember. My GCSE's are 2 A*, 5 A, 3 B and a C in Latin. There is also an explanation from my teacher about my illness etc. and how much school I missed with it. This with predicted grades of AAAB I thought would be ok, because he said that a lot of the applicants each year don't even have the predicted grades that match the minimum offer of AAB.
dewinte
Was this entire discussion on straight Econ? I am doing Eco Hist and when I went up for the open day I spoke to the lecturer about my grades and my GCSE's and he said I should apply just to make my PS stress why I want to do the course opposed to straight Econ. The course has 12 places and it said 83 applicants whether that was for '06 or '07 I don't remember. My GCSE's are 2 A*, 5 A, 3 B and a C in Latin. There is also an explanation from my teacher about my illness etc. and how much school I missed with it. This with predicted grades of AAAB I thought would be ok, because he said that a lot of the applicants each year don't even have the predicted grades that match the minimum offer of AAB.

Yeah, thi was for straight econ. supposedly, they're not so strict for joint honours courses :smile:
Is that true about Warwick, Paul? We'll have to wait until March (most of us at least) to find out?

I know that's completely understandable but it means I'll have to wait until then before deciding on my firm/insurance, which I was hoping to avoid as competition for UCL accommodation is apparently very fierce.

Oh well, it could be worse I guess
Reply 386
Clements-
Yeah, thi was for straight econ. supposedly, they're not so strict for joint honours courses :smile:

Good good! It does make sense I guess :smile:
Reply 387
Clements-
Plus, the 18k one pays you a £1500 bursary (provided you're on a 2:1) for each year you're at uni, and gives you paid work experience in your holidays. They give you a £1500 bursary at the end of your gap year as well come to think of it

Deloitte scheme only pays around £20k pro rata (so around £12k for the 7 months) and then the £1.5k bursary at the end.
Moogen
Deloitte scheme only pays around £20k pro rata (so around £12k for the 7 months) and then the £1.5k bursary at the end.

Yeah, although supposedly it alters. I know someone who got 18k for the 7 months.
Reply 389
Clements-
Deloitte is the 1st one. Other than that I'm applying to IBM, Rothschild IB and Bank of England

Hmm.. I would love to do that, but my Dads a partner for Deloitte so I would feel as if I wasnt doing it my own way and Id always wonder if I got on the scheme as myself or as one of the partners daughters.

More importantly.. I wish universities did overtime over the weekend!
:frown:
bex91
Hmm.. I would love to do that, but my Dads a partner for Deloitte so I would feel as if I wasnt doing it my own way and Id always wonder if I got on the scheme as myself or as one of the partners daughters.

Fair enough - I just so badly hope I get in!
I got an offer of ABB at Manchester for Ecomomics and Politicsm plus add me to list, applying for PPE at St.Hildas, Oxford
Reply 392
AAB offer for Leeds, Scottish Advanced Highers though
Reply 393
bex91

Well Warwick don't make most of their econ offers until late march. i.e. after they see all the applications. So you do have a long wait.
Reply 394
ljc91
AAB offer for Leeds, Scottish Advanced Highers though

Is that typical?
i.e. I thought Leeds were ABB for Highers.

Deipnosophist123
Is that true about Warwick, Paul? We'll have to wait until March (most of us at least) to find out?

I know that's completely understandable but it means I'll have to wait until then before deciding on my firm/insurance, which I was hoping to avoid as competition for UCL accommodation is apparently very fierce.

Oh well, it could be worse I guess

well they make a few offers earlier (e.g. Jan) but most are late march.

So do UCL accommodation gives preference to earlier appliers?
e.g. warwick Accommodatiopn does not discriminate on the basis of how long before 1st August you apply.

dewinte

Unfortunately for Economics with Economic History at LSE, in 2007/8 there were 123 applicants and in 2007 there were 5 places.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/AdmissionsCriteria/economics.htm
Reply 395
Paulwhy

Unfortunately for Economics with Economic History at LSE, in 2007/8 there were 123 applicants and in 2007 there were 5 places.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/AdmissionsCriteria/economics.htm

Sorry I wasn't more specific I meant "Economic History".

UCAS code: V300 BSc/EcHist

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A A B

International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 37 points including 6 6 6 at Higher level
Applications 2007: 116
First year students 2007: 17
Student Profile: BSc Economic History

Economics with Economic History is AAA with the places that you stated and only 3 places for '07 itself. I didn't check Economics and Economic History.

I understand the split is Economic History is what it says, Economics with Economics History is 75% - 25% and Economics and Economic History is 50% - 50%.
Reply 396
I'd also like to be added to the list from the OP.
Paulwhy

So do UCL accommodation gives preference to earlier appliers?
e.g. warwick Accommodatiopn does not discriminate on the basis of how long before 1st August you apply.

Well they say that they try not to, but also advise you to submit at the earliest possible opportunity. All I know is that I know which accommodation I'd like, so I have to try and get it somehow hehe :smile:
-WhySoSerious?
Well done! :biggrin:

Only got two acknowledgements atm :p:, but hey, sent my app off on the 5th/

Wonder why they increased their offer though :s-smilie:

It is strange, espcially seeing as I have an AAA prediction... but it's also happened to some of my friends applying for English, oh well. :smile:

Woop! finally sent off? :p: Where did you settle on?
Electric_Dreams
It is strange, espcially seeing as I have an AAA prediction... but it's also happened to some of my friends applying for English, oh well. :smile:

Woop! finally sent off? :p: Where did you settle on?

Warwick/Notts/Durham/York/Southampton

o.o

Let the waiting begin :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending