The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nah, i saw MRI, CT, general X-ray, ultrasound and nuclear. All really interesting i gotta say, love the variation in general X-ray and the technology in MRI is amazing.
Reply 21
Nickh_16
nah, i saw MRI, CT, general X-ray, ultrasound and nuclear. All really interesting i gotta say, love the variation in general X-ray and the technology in MRI is amazing.

Sounds strange but I really enjoyed my time in the orthodontic department and seeing the barium enemas on the new fluoroscopy the local hospital has had installed. Not the most pleasant of jobs but the clarity of the images was amazing.
I found CT and MRI interesting but mainly due to the radiographers panicking about an ITU patient that was messing up their schedule :biggrin:
Reply 22
One thing I can say about diagnostics for potential applicants is to try and get more than one day of experience; I loved it on day one but by day 3 I was getting a feel for the potential monotony of it from my pov :smile:
Reply 23

Hiii! Im applying for therapeutic radiography for 2009! anyone else applying for it to?? x
Hiya, i've applied for diagnostic radiography 09, does anyone know how long about it takes for cardiff to get back to you to tell you if you've got an interview?
Oh my god! I've got an interview at St George's/Kingston at the end of this month and I'm terrified!
Reply 26
well done on getting an interview , I am sure you will do fine on it, they are not that scary really
Reply 27
Ilovechilli
Hiya, i've applied for diagnostic radiography 09, does anyone know how long about it takes for cardiff to get back to you to tell you if you've got an interview?

You will certainly have an interview so don't worry about that. I recieved my interview information from Cardiff today, it took a week to arrive even though it was sent first class. MY UCAS form was sent on December 2nd when did you send yours?
Cherry Black
Whoa someone from my hometown, freaky.

I've just sent my application off (it goes to my college first and then off into the void) and I finally settled on Portsmouth (this is the one I really really really want to go to, I went to the preview day and fell in love with the place), Canterbury, South Bank, City, and St George's (which I literally don't stand a hope in hell of getting into, but meh).
I'm now trying to sort out my hospital placement as well.

Good luck everyone!

Well, I'm technically in Ringwood but Bmouth is nearest!!!!!!!!

Annnnnnd my application has FINALLY gone (with only a day to spare XS)
Reply 29
JammyDodger3000
Well, I'm technically in Ringwood but Bmouth is nearest!!!!!!!!

Annnnnnd my application has FINALLY gone (with only a day to spare XS)

Nice one, did you manage to organise any work experience at Bournemouth in the end? I've got 2 more days lined up for February so if you need the contact details for HR I'll give you them.
Cherry Black
Oh my god! I've got an interview at St George's/Kingston at the end of this month and I'm terrified!

well done Cherry Black on gaining a interview there.I am sure u will be fine,and wish u all the best :biggrin:
chrispy88
You will certainly have an interview so don't worry about that. I recieved my interview information from Cardiff today, it took a week to arrive even though it was sent first class. MY UCAS form was sent on December 2nd when did you send yours?

hows it all going chrispy88 have u heard from any of your other choices?thats if u dont mind me asking u that is
i am hoping that they will still be some places available for diagnostic radiography when ucas extra starts in feb:yes:
Reply 32
ZakBrannigan
hows it all going chrispy88 have u heard from any of your other choices?thats if u dont mind me asking u that is
i am hoping that they will still be some places available for diagnostic radiography when ucas extra starts in feb:yes:

Yeah I have heard back from all my choices, thanks. Interviews for Cardiff, Exeter and Portsmouth accepted. Im sure there will be places through ucas extra.
Reply 33
ZakBrannigan

don't worry Zak, you should be fine with availability in ucas extra by feb.

i only started to look into radiography by late march/april time last year, and well over half the uni's still had vacancies. It was end of June before I sent off my application and even by then there was a fair few with vacancies for me to choose from.
**R**
don't worry Zak, you should be fine with availability in ucas extra by feb.

i only started to look into radiography by late march/april time last year, and well over half the uni's still had vacancies. It was end of June before I sent off my application and even by then there was a fair few with vacancies for me to choose from.

thanks **R** its appreciated by me.I was just a bit worried that when i submit my ucas form into Extra they wouldnt be too many vacanies left for the diagnostic radiography degree,thanks for the reassurance.:yes: :biggrin:
Does anyone know about the nhs funded courses, and some people don't get their full tuition fees paid for, and i've heard this is if you don't meet the grades or if you're not from the UK, is this true and that it's not assessed on your income?
Reply 36
Ilovechilli
Does anyone know about the nhs funded courses, and some people don't get their full tuition fees paid for, and i've heard this is if you don't meet the grades or if you're not from the UK, is this true and that it's not assessed on your income?

Not sure about other unis but when I spoke with the head of radiography at Cardiff he said they don't offer places which aren't NHS funded as they think it is unfair to have some students paying tution fees while the majority do not. He said if they like you but you failed to make the grades they would possibly give you a deferred entry. They take the interview and personal statement into account quite a lot.

Thats just what Cardiff have told me though.
oh that's really good then :smile: thank you
Reply 38
Ilovechilli
oh that's really good then :smile: thank you

Following on from what chrispy said - it's true that non UK students usually don't get their fees paid by the NHS - this is because they don't have 'home' status in the eyes of our NHS. Consequently, this usually means international students aren't eligible for a lot of healthcare courses at a lot of unis.
ahh so it's definately not gone on your income?

Latest