The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Do AS levels help if entry requirements are not met for conditional offers?

I have got a B in AS music tech so if I don't achieve a BBB (which is my offer) in all 3 A levels and get lets say a BBC would my uni (sussex) be more likely to accept me because of my AS. Maybe because of the UCAS points?
(edited 3 years ago)
AS doesn’t mean anything once you’ve taken the full Alevel for that subject. They won’t be of any help to you and you won’t get any UCAS points for it
(edited 3 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
For all these 'will I still get in' queries the answer is the same - no-one knows, and no-one can give you a guarantee of acceptance of you don't meet the offer.

However, given that Sussex have been making 'we'll accept you even if you get lower grades' offers this year, its probably worth the risk of making it your Firm - but only you can decide this.
Original post by ramiirayes
I have got a B in AS music tech so if I don't achieve a BBB (which is my offer) in all 3 A levels and get lets say a BBC would my uni (sussex) be more likely to accept me because of my AS. Maybe because of the UCAS points?

Hello, thank you for your question!

In this type of situation, your application would go for a review by an academic advisor, working for the relevant department. All of the different factors would be taken into consideration, including your AS in music, as well as, your personal statement and any extenuating circumstances that you have reported. The simple answer is that unfortunately there are no guarantees that you would be accepted. Although, based on my work experience for Sussex Admissions, most firm applicants who just miss their offer are still accepted onto the course. This is due to the entry requirements typically dropping to BBC or lower during the Clearing Week. However, this is not something that will happen for certain, as it depends on the availability of spaces on the course you have applied for. The more competitive the course, the less likely it is to be offered through clearing & have reduced entry requirements.

What is the specific course you are talking about? If you let me know, I might be able to tell you whether it has been offered through Clearing in the past & had its entry requirements lowered. Also, I would also be able to provide you with the contact details for the relevant university department that may be able to offer further help.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, thank you for your question!

In this type of situation, your application would go for a review by an academic advisor, working for the relevant department. All of the different factors would be taken into consideration, including your AS in music, as well as, your personal statement and any extenuating circumstances that you have reported. The simple answer is that unfortunately there are no guarantees that you would be accepted. Although, based on my work experience for Sussex Admissions, most firm applicants who just miss their offer are still accepted onto the course. This is due to the entry requirements typically dropping to BBC or lower during the Clearing Week. However, this is not something that will happen for certain, as it depends on the availability of spaces on the course you have applied for. The more competitive the course, the less likely it is to be offered through clearing & have reduced entry requirements.

What is the specific course you are talking about? If you let me know, I might be able to tell you whether it has been offered through Clearing in the past & had its entry requirements lowered. Also, I would also be able to provide you with the contact details for the relevant university department that may be able to offer further help.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)

Hello!

Thank you so much for that insightful reply it is very helpful, I have already made Sussex my firm choice and submitted my housing application, I really do want to go there and I think it is perfect for me but I am just a bit stressed about what would happen in a scenario where I don't exactly achieve the grades. The course I have applied for is Marketing and Management with Psychology (full-time without a placement) so if you could tell me any information about its history in Clearing that would be amazing.

Best Wishes and thank you again,
Rami
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
For all these 'will I still get in' queries the answer is the same - no-one knows, and no-one can give you a guarantee of acceptance of you don't meet the offer.

However, given that Sussex have been making 'we'll accept you even if you get lower grades' offers this year, its probably worth the risk of making it your Firm - but only you can decide this.

Thanks for your reply and yes I have already firmed it because I really like Sussex and hope I can go there even at the risk of possibly not getting the grades and trying to get in through Clearing as plan B but hopefully it doesn't have to come to that and I do well enough in my in class assessments.
Reply 6
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
AS doesn’t mean anything once you’ve taken the full Alevel for that subject. They won’t be of any help to you and you won’t get any UCAS points for it

yeah the thing is I have only done music tech as an AS and haven't continued it as a full A level, so that means it would make a difference in my UCAS points right?
Hey @ramiirayes,

Just to add to my colleague Kasia's reply, here you can access the Guide to Clearing which shows a step-by-step guide on what to do if you miss the results required by the conditions of your offer.

Kind Reagrds,
Erica (Third Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending