The Student Room Group

Master's or Year in Industry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jmanjibenjy
all things software development related. I'm actually working as a game programmer in a small place here.

Not interested in joining academia or research unless it's recommended to get better job opportunities.

Oh that's fine then!
Original post by aaron2578
Maths teacher, could you please point out the logical fallacy here?

It's not even true - small samples can't be trusted.
If it was possible to provide a badge for terrible advice I think Ackman may have achieved it in this thread.

Computer science is different to other academic degrees because it is based so much on experience and skill set if you want a job afterwards. Silicon valley is full of university drop outs because the degree doesn't matter - your skills do. I'm not going to pretend I know a great deal about IT but if a job wants a programmer who can code in C++ and you have a computer science degree from MIT but no idea how to code then you are useless to the firm and not getting the job. The applicant that went to Swansea studied C++ programming in their module selection and is proficient and as a consequence the applicant from Swansea gets the job over the applicant from MIT. And this is why how prestigious your university does not matter for a career in IT.

Out of your list I think Oxford Brookes would be the best to study in. The city is beautiful and Oxford isn't too far from London so there is more work experience opportunities. I think a major benefit of Oxford Brookes would be that it is in the same city as University of Oxford which hosts a lot of public talks and the departments attract a lot of well known speakers in their respective fields so you will benefit from this.
Reply 43
average salary compsci after 5 years ICL- £60,000 (RG)
average salary compsci after 5 years York- £43,000 (RG)
average salary compsci after 5 years Southampton- £43,000 (RG)

average salary after compsci 5 years Swansea- £31,000
average salary after compsci 5 years Oxford Brookes-£30,500

data is data make your own mind up, but it seems to correlate with my view that going to a RG improves your employment prospects
Original post by Ackman
average salary compsci after 5 years ICL- £60,000 (RG)
average salary compsci after 5 years York- £43,000 (RG)
average salary compsci after 5 years Southampton- £43,000 (RG)

average salary after compsci 5 years Swansea- £31,000
average salary after compsci 5 years Oxford Brookes-£30,500

data is data make your own mind up, but it seems to correlate with my view that going to a RG improves your employment prospects

I think there's nothing wrong with your correlation you are right higher rep unis lead to higher wages.
a sort of fair comparison would be to compare salaries with lower lvl RG unis like Cardiff, QUB, Newcastle, Leeds.. would the salaries in these unis be around the same as Dundee or swansea? I have to find out ...
Reply 45
I think there's nothing wrong with your correlation you are right higher rep unis lead to higher wages.
a sort of fair comparison would be to compare salaries with lower lvl RG unis like Cardiff, QUB, Newcastle, Leeds.. would the salaries in these unis be around the same as Dundee or swansea? I have to find out ...

no data for QUB Leeds is £38,000 after 5 years, Newcastle is £33,500 so a bit lower, Cardiff is £34,500. Dundee and Swansea are £31,000.
(edited 2 years ago)
I think the wages don't actually make a true reflection of the degree - a lot of people will stay in their university city after graduation - especially if they have completed a year in industry and have a job offer from there. The pay reflects on the local cost of living as well as your area of expertise.

Also, Leeds is a high ranking university and in terms of computer science, Swansea ranks about Newcastle and Cardiff.
Reply 47
Original post by one_two_three
I think the wages don't actually make a true reflection of the degree - a lot of people will stay in their university city after graduation - especially if they have completed a year in industry and have a job offer from there. The pay reflects on the local cost of living as well as your area of expertise.

Also, Leeds is a high ranking university and in terms of computer science, Swansea ranks about Newcastle and Cardiff.

agreed it's a hard one, ie from a certain university more graduates may be entering London etc which translates into a higher cost of living and thus higher wages. that why i used the 5-year figure thinking it would be a bit more accurate. But an rg opens more doors (in terms of sectors and professions like the ones I previously mentioned before) and closes very few of course make sure the course has sufficient content for your needs. So my view still hasn't changed I would still try to get into a good rg like york or Southampton through clearing (which they were in last year) and like I said you have good a level equivalents.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ackman
agreed it's a hard one, ie from a certain university more graduates may be entering London etc which translates into a higher cost of living and thus higher wages. that why i used the 5-year figure thinking it would be a bit more accurate. But an rg opens more doors (in terms of sectors and professions like the ones I previously mentioned before) and closes very few of course make sure the course has sufficient content for your needs. So my view still hasn't changed I would still try to get into a good rg like york or Southampton through clearing (which they were in last year) and like I said you have good a level equivalents.

You have a point, but the OP has said they want to do software development, which is something you could get employed in from really low-ranked universities. So it doesn't matter what doors are opened or closed; certainly software development would always be an option.

Also, about the wages, it seems likely the RG graduates are more likely to go into academia and research, thus earning more money. Its good that you've tried to take location into account and used the 5 year figures, but still you're likely to stay in a job for over 5 years. RG unis generally get more gifted students, which suggests that graduates might rise up the ranks faster and get raises faster than others. All of these don't affect the OP, who won't have a problem finding a job and after that they will depend on themselves to get higher wages.

I don't think UCAS Clearing is worth it here, I think the OP should just go with a bachelor's with a Year in Industry at wherever seems most appealing to them.
thanks a ton. Any experiences from academics is Highly invaluable to me.

could you chime in about the unis I applied to?
namely swansea because it seems like a good place to learn comp sci.

other places I've apply are
Oxford Brookes
Nottingham Trent
Dundee
Queen's University Belfast
Coventry
Manchester Metropolitan

I know they're not the best unis but any opinion on them would be very much appreciated.

Hi jmanjibengy!

I'm a student from England who goes to Queen's University Belfast. I'm in my second year here and I love the uni and the city. It's really welcoming and friendly, and has a lot going on. I think it's often viewed as worse than other UK unis just because it's in Northern Ireland, which makes no sense. It's really cheap and easy to travel to and from England if you want to. It's the only Russell Group uni in your list, which means it has higher research output and might be more highly regarded by employers. We have a great computer science department here, it's a really popular degree within the uni. I hope this helps somewhat!

Many thanks, and ask away if you need anything else.
Emily, Team Queen's :smile:
Original post by Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Hi jmanjibengy!

I'm a student from England who goes to Queen's University Belfast. I'm in my second year here and I love the uni and the city. It's really welcoming and friendly, and has a lot going on. I think it's often viewed as worse than other UK unis just because it's in Northern Ireland, which makes no sense. It's really cheap and easy to travel to and from England if you want to. It's the only Russell Group uni in your list, which means it has higher research output and might be more highly regarded by employers. We have a great computer science department here, it's a really popular degree within the uni. I hope this helps somewhat!

Many thanks, and ask away if you need anything else.
Emily, Team Queen's :smile:

Hey thanks,

Have a lot to ask but I guess you being a current student some relevant questions I have are:

what's the weather like? will it take too long to get used to?

how is the graduate prospects and employment assistance office? Do people get jobs in global companies and companies in London?

QUB is not on the Discover uni website so I have no idea what employability and mean wage earning looks like so anything regarding that you could point me to would be of great help.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey thanks,

Have a lot to ask but I guess you being a current student some relevant questions I have are:

what's the weather like? will it take too long to get used to?

how is the graduate prospects and employment assistance office? Do people get jobs in global companies and companies in London?

QUB is not on the Discover uni website so I have no idea what employability and mean wage earning looks like so anything regarding that you could point me to would be of great help.

Hi!

1. Hahaha, the weather can be very changeable but it's really not as bad as people say it is. It is basically the same as England:smile: Just last week I got suntanned sitting in the park with my friends!

2. People for sure get jobs in global companies, and London! The careers team at Queen's is amazing and the opportunity for placements given to you in comp sci at queens is amazing, if you do the professional experience degree program you are guaranteed to get one. Queen's regularly consult with employers and has links with over 500 IT companies, which sometimes hold competitions and events for Queen's students. 90% of the students are in further work/study 15 months after the course, with 85% in highly skilled work, and the average earnings 15 months after the course are £25,000.

I hope this helped somewhat, and please contact the school at [email protected] if you want to ask any more specific questions about employability/the course.

Many thanks,
Emily
Original post by Ackman

i guess ill try rg as much as i can. if not- work hard, get good scores & make connections :redface:
Hi,
I am an international mature student looking to do my undergrad in the uk. I have received an offer from Swanswea and Oxford Brookes for BSc computer science if this information may be of help.

Since I am 25yrs old and Don't have a lot of time is it worth doing a normal BSc and a master's rather than a BSc with year in industry? Is a master's worth the extra debt I will accrue on top of my undergrad loan?

I hope to be finished with my higher education by 30 but I cannot afford to waste a year in industry in undergrad if I had the same option to do this after a master's.

Mainly concerned with employability and being able to pay back the loan as soon as I can.

Not sure if this has been said yet as the thread isn't loading. However, it may be worth considering doing a part time degree alongside work experience in that area. I am about to graduate in law and will be doing paralegal work while doing an MSc over two years, this way I will earn a good wage, get the experience and can pay for the degree. Good luck in whatever you do!!
Original post by hedislimane
Not sure if this has been said yet as the thread isn't loading. However, it may be worth considering doing a part time degree alongside work experience in that area. I am about to graduate in law and will be doing paralegal work while doing an MSc over two years, this way I will earn a good wage, get the experience and can pay for the degree. Good luck in whatever you do!!

that's a great idea. I thought I could do that too once i secure a stable job in the UK. Thanks for that!
thanks a ton. Any experiences from academics is Highly invaluable to me.

could you chime in about the unis I applied to?
namely swansea because it seems like a good place to learn comp sci.

other places I've apply are
Oxford Brookes
Nottingham Trent
Dundee
Queen's University Belfast
Coventry
Manchester Metropolitan

I know they're not the best unis but any opinion on them would be very much appreciated.

Hi jmanjibenjy,

I did my undergraduate at Manchester Metropolitan and I can say it was one of the best decision I made. Although I did Biomedical Science and not computer science I can tell you that the course is double accredited which is something that employers like. It is accredited by both the Chartered Institute of Information Security and BCS Chartered IT Professional and when you graduate you will have the option to become a member of these bodies. All of the lecturers I have met are really good and reply back to emails and questions quite quickly so there is always support availble for you throughout your course. There is also the opportunity to do a placement year which will give you valuable skills in employment. Being in Manchester too there is lots of opportunites for jobs after your degree.

If you have any questions I will be happy to help!

Good luck with your decision.

Nicole :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending