The Student Room Group

PhD Interview

Hi everyone, I finally submitted my application for a PhD yesterday. I am so nervous I can hardly think about anything else. My prospective supervisor said I should expect to hear from them soon for an interview. Does anyone know what the interview is like for a PhD in the humanities? Is it about the project? Is it about my own background? Any advice on how I should prepare? (assuming I am, in fact, invited to an interview. Wish me luck!)
Reply 1
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SomeOG
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Interviews vary a lot, some are just with the main supervisor, or the team or a committee.

Id be prepared to discuss your background (academics, work, research/dissertation), the general field, specifics about the project, your motivations...

I would definitely prep some talking points that paint you in a good light and highlight intellectual ability, work ethic, project management.

Look at the interviewers recent publications.
My interview was really informal, my supervisor said that there will be "one other person" conducting the interview but the it turned out to be my secondary supervisor. It ended up being more like a structured chat than an interview. If you've spent months developing your proposal then you'll be fine. Just make sure to be able to articulate the main points clearly and keep the conversation flowing.
Original post by Yellow 03
Does anyone know what the interview is like for a PhD in the humanities? Is it about the project? Is it about my own background?

I think for humanities it's more about the project and your proposal. I know for sure it wasn't my grades that's gotten me a place (LOL) - though your background is still important in that it should (somewhat) support what your project is about.
One other thing to note, if the interview is with your supervisor.

How comfortable is the conversation, do you establish a rapport with them (you will have to work with them for 3-4 years).
You might also want to ask if you can speak to one of their current or former students who can give you a feel like working with them.
Original post by Yellow 03
Hi everyone, I finally submitted my application for a PhD yesterday. I am so nervous I can hardly think about anything else. My prospective supervisor said I should expect to hear from them soon for an interview. Does anyone know what the interview is like for a PhD in the humanities? Is it about the project? Is it about my own background? Any advice on how I should prepare? (assuming I am, in fact, invited to an interview. Wish me luck!)

Hi @Yellow 03!

As @mnot has said, interviews can vary. In my experience most interviews in the humanities take the form of an informal but structured 'chat' - usually with the supervisor or supervisors that you hope to be working with. Topics might include what you've been working on to date and how that ties into your research proposal, your interest in researching your proposed topic, what sort of training and support you feel you'll need to complete the proposed PhD, and why you want to do your research at that university/in that department/under that particular supervision team.

There are sometimes more formal 'panel' interviews in the humanities - where you might have a panel of 2/3 academics asking set questions to each applicant - but in my experience the questions asked are very similar to those asked at an informal interview, it's just the tone and setting of the interview may be more formal.

Ultimately the interview is there to establish that you have a genuine interest and passion for your research topic (sufficient to get you through 3-4 years of taking a very deep dive into it!), that you've thought about the process of doing a PhD and your reasons for doing so, that you've thought about what you might need to learn to enable you to complete the PhD, and that you have a rapport with your potential supervisory team/university and their own research ethos.

My main tip is to be yourself - let your passion for your research topic come through and show you have a genuine engagement, interest, and willingness to learn. Try to relax (I know its hard!) and, whilst it's good to do some prep, don't overthink it. And if you're not sure of a question or you need a bit of time to compose your answer, don't be afraid to ask them to clarify or to ask for a moment to think. And feel free to ask any questions you have of them too! Remember an interview goes both ways - you want to ensure you're going to be comfortable working in that particular research environment and with that supervisory team.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Amy Louise :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
@Keele Postgraduate , @mnot , @lem0nwings , thank you all so much for your responses, they were very helpful and very reassuring too.

I just got an email from my prospective supervisor apologising for the delay in getting back to me and explaining that one of the interview panel members (there seems to be a panel of 3) has a difficult schedule at the moment but they will get back to me as soon as possible with a date for the interview. I was really glad to receive even the holding message!

In the meantime I am writing down my thoughts on possible questions in preparation. I have to say, waiting is nerve-racking! Thank you all again. :crossedf: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending