The Student Room Group

Postgraduate tuition fee

Hi, I'm currently waiting for my final results from Ba course and am about to apply for a masters degree, however I'm a bit confused by the post brexit tuition fees and thought maybe someone here could help. I'm not sure if I should apply as international or home student as I'm EU citizen. Universitiy's website says to refer to the ukcisa crtieria and I met all of them, I have pre settled status and by start of the course I'll be living here for more than 3 years. But I know that unis also do the fee assesment, which is why I'm confused if I should apply as a home student or international and wait for uni to send me the questionaire
Original post by Joanna525
Hi, I'm currently waiting for my final results from Ba course and am about to apply for a masters degree, however I'm a bit confused by the post brexit tuition fees and thought maybe someone here could help. I'm not sure if I should apply as international or home student as I'm EU citizen. Universitiy's website says to refer to the ukcisa crtieria and I met all of them, I have pre settled status and by start of the course I'll be living here for more than 3 years. But I know that unis also do the fee assesment, which is why I'm confused if I should apply as a home student or international and wait for uni to send me the questionaire

With regards to settled status, if you've been in full-time education, the three years likely doesn't count as pursuing full time education doesn't count as "ordinarily resident". It may be best to inquire with the university you're applying to for guidance.
presettled status usually qualifies you as a home student, definitely for undergraduate, so just ask to see if its the same for a postgraduate
Reply 3
Original post by TheTakers
With regards to settled status, if you've been in full-time education, the three years likely doesn't count as pursuing full time education doesn't count as "ordinarily resident". It may be best to inquire with the university you're applying to for guidance.

I will call them to find out more.
That's what the guidance says d) if the main purpose of your residence for the three-year period was to receive full-time
education, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK / EEA / Switzerland / the
overseas territories (these include Gibraltar) the day before the start of the three-year period.
I worked for few months before starting uni and all the time during going to the university as well. I've been also receiving maintanance loan as a migrant worker for the past two years, for which one of the requirements was to a be ordinarily resident
Original post by Joanna525
I will call them to find out more.
That's what the guidance says d) if the main purpose of your residence for the three-year period was to receive full-time
education, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK / EEA / Switzerland / the
overseas territories (these include Gibraltar) the day before the start of the three-year period.
I worked for few months before starting uni and all the time during going to the university as well. I've been also receiving maintanance loan as a migrant worker for the past two years, for which one of the requirements was to a be ordinarily resident

I think just be prepared to argue all of that and say you would have still been here working even if you weren't in full-time education. The new rules for EU students under Brexit are a national embarrassment - sorry you have to navigate your way through the bureaucratic bull!
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
presettled status usually qualifies you as a home student, definitely for undergraduate, so just ask to see if its the same for a postgraduate

Thanks, I'll probably have to call themthen as there's nothing on the website about postgraduate
Reply 6
Original post by TheTakers
I think just be prepared to argue all of that and say you would have still been here working even if you weren't in full-time education. The new rules for EU students under Brexit are a national embarrassment - sorry you have to navigate your way through the bureaucratic bull!

Thanks for help. Guess I'll give them a call and I'll defintely say that and see what they have to say. The new rules are really confusing, especially now that they distinguish between so many different statuses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending