The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Queens' College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I GOT AN OFFER FOR ENGINEERING!!!! (2009 entry!)

SOOOO SOO HAPPY! Been jumping up aend down for a bit :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hopefully I should see some of you in a couple of years time (damn deferred entry... haha)

God luck to all those still waiting to hear
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 181
English Aaa
Speechless :')
Reply 182
spatula01
English Aaa
Speechless :')

Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 183
I got an offer to study Law - yay! 3 As. I applied for deferred, anyone else? Applied for a choral scholarship too, still waiting to hear...
Reply 184
Congrats for the offers!

I've got an offer for Law for 2008 entry too so I guess I'll be seeing a lot of you Rudrax!
Reply 185
Jojo11
Congrats for the offers!

I've got an offer for Law for 2008 entry too so I guess I'll be seeing a lot of you Rudrax!

Wicked - see you there :smile:
Reply 186
won't be joining you guys in October, i'm afraid. have fun all the same, and good luck on meeting your offers :smile:
Reply 187
Nissay
won't be joining you guys in October, i'm afraid. have fun all the same, and good luck on meeting your offers :smile:

Unlucky m8 (I sent you a PM). Good luck with your LSE offer and you're going to LONDON!! What more can you want? :smile:
Reply 188
thanks. yeahh, it's a pretty cool place. i just fell in love with Queens' that's all, thank god i didn't go over and visit :p: might've been a worse rejection!
Reply 189
Hard luck on not getting an offer :frown: Shame you won't be there as you seem fun.
What was it about Queens' that made you fall in love with it btw?

I kinda choose it quite randomly out of a shortlist of 5 or so, without seeing it, and now I kinda think some of the other colleges look a lot better. Some of the old buildings and the bridge at Queens' are really nice but it seems like nearly everyone stays in the 60s-made Cripps Court. I stayed their pre-interview and the rooms seem very dated but not in a good way.
It's also a very large college and apparently doesn't have THAT much land compared to some of the others. I think I'd have probably prefered a smaller college with perhaps more of a community.

However, I did meet some very friendly people (including the interviewers!), especially some second and third year students whom I played a drinking game with the night before my interview, hahah. But even they said it was a bit poo atm cus of something to do with how its being run (apparently they said it'd be better in a few years time however).

Ho hum, I'm sure I'm just being fussy (grass is always greener etc) and that I'll absolutely love it when I'm (hopefully) there; after all I should be (and am!) very grateful for an offer :biggrin:
hi all,

I applied with an open Application, and was put into Homerton, and have now been accepted, and im delighted to be at Cambridge at all, truly, but its one of the few colleges that i maybe fancy a bit less than the others; it seems to be less connected to the Cambridge student comunity as a whole.

I've asked people at Homerton what they think of it, and they (unsuprisingly) seem to genuinely like it, but Im just curious to see how the members of one of the more traditional colleges, like Queens, view it from living near it????? Basically what i mean is, are Homertonians a part of the Cambridge community to you, or are they a bit too far away for that??? Do you think of them as proper Cambridge students, like you would someone from St. Johns' or Jesus?

thanks very much for your time.
Reply 191
Fointy

Ho hum, I'm sure I'm just being fussy (grass is always greener etc) and that I'll absolutely love it when I'm (hopefully) there; after all I should be (and am!) very grateful for an offer :biggrin:

I've been feeling the same a lot recently. I went looking around the colleges one day and Queen's was the best of the ones I saw but I chose a pretty stupid system (drew a circle around the Sidgewick site, on the prospectus, to see the closest colleges to it and only visited those inside the circle). I was looking longingly at Clare after I'd applied but I'm re-finding my original love for Queens', as, the interview process for law at Clare required a lot more work (prepatory work, essays etc) and I might have not even got a place. :smile:
Reply 192
Fointy
Hard luck on not getting an offer :frown: Shame you won't be there as you seem fun.

thank you :smile: i don't know, something about Queens' just pulled me to it. i was going to play statistics and go for the less larger colleges but i saw some photos and i fell in love. granted, they're not great representatives of the college itself (and you mentioned about dated rooms, i had absolutely no idea about that :redface:), it was sort of a romantic idea for me to go to a nice, old college with some picturesque scenes. i quite like big colleges, i'm a bit of a people person so that played a little part in it as well.
Reply 193
kay_oh_dee
Got an offer for History!! Three As in History, Eng Lit and French. See you in October guys :p:

Fointy

I kinda choose it quite randomly out of a shortlist of 5 or so, without seeing it, and now I kinda think some of the other colleges look a lot better. Some of the old buildings and the bridge at Queens' are really nice but it seems like nearly everyone stays in the 60s-made Cripps Court. I stayed their pre-interview and the rooms seem very dated but not in a good way.
It's also a very large college and apparently doesn't have THAT much land compared to some of the others. I think I'd have probably prefered a smaller college with perhaps more of a community.

However, I did meet some very friendly people (including the interviewers!), especially some second and third year students whom I played a drinking game with the night before my interview, hahah. But even they said it was a bit poo atm cus of something to do with how its being run (apparently they said it'd be better in a few years time however).

Considering its size Queens' does have an amazingly close community. Ok, it's nothing compared to the (frankly quite scary) close-knitness that places like Corpus achieve, but in a way I'm quite glad of that. There's always a person who you want to get to know better, and enough people that you can avoid the people you don't want to know. We all live on-site for three years, which probably contributes to this.

Whilst Cripps does hold a lot of people, it's certainly not "most". Aside from the first year you'll never have to live there, and some people don't live there for first year. Some people choose to live there, though, and the new rooms on the top floor are absolutely lovely.

There's a few issues this year with college authorities. They're doing a bit of cracking down on several fronts, some I feel is perfectly justified and some not so justified. It's not major, and certainly you wouldn't know it if you arrived next year, but it's just a bit of a change from when we (the third years) were freshers.
Reply 195
Received an offer for Land Economy :smile:
3 A's, absolutely delighted, I thought I'd blown it at the interview.

Just need to do some serious revision now to meet the offer.
Reply 196
coldfish
Considering its size Queens' does have an amazingly close community. Ok, it's nothing compared to the (frankly quite scary) close-knitness that places like Corpus achieve, but in a way I'm quite glad of that. There's always a person who you want to get to know better, and enough people that you can avoid the people you don't want to know. We all live on-site for three years, which probably contributes to this.

Whilst Cripps does hold a lot of people, it's certainly not "most". Aside from the first year you'll never have to live there, and some people don't live there for first year. Some people choose to live there, though, and the new rooms on the top floor are absolutely lovely.

There's a few issues this year with college authorities. They're doing a bit of cracking down on several fronts, some I feel is perfectly justified and some not so justified. It's not major, and certainly you wouldn't know it if you arrived next year, but it's just a bit of a change from when we (the third years) were freshers.

Thats good to hear - I was attracted to Queens' in the first place because it was one of the bigger colleges.

Just out of interest:p: , what crack-downs are being made around the college?
Reply 197
Aj@y
Received an offer for Land Economy :smile:
3 A's, absolutely delighted, I thought I'd blown it at the interview.

Just need to do some serious revision now to meet the offer.

They're just being stricter in punishing typical drunken antics that go too far -- and particularly about ones that break fire regulations. (setting off of fire extinguishers, etc). It's pretty justified that they do so, but the problem recently was that they threatened to cancel our Friday night bop because of one incident. We were pretty unimpressed at the idea of collective punishment.
I got into Queens' for physical natsci :-D Offer of AAA! So happy :-D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending