The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2022 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Does the statement of interest need citations ? If I am citing a scholar’s work?

Yes it does. If you know there are things that need to be cited, cite it and include the references below. It doesn’t go towards the word count.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by vincentlaw
So how are you guys planing on getting funding?

Mostly applying to scholarships within my home country and praying I get a department scholarship. It’s really tough getting funding for Oxford but let’s hope all goes well. I have to finish and submit these applications first tho 😅
Is it wise to mention also your proposed supervisor in your statement of interest? Despite the fact that they’ve provided a separate box in the app to state them?
Reply 43
Prospective course: MSc by Research Clinical Neurosciences
Achieved (or expected) grade: First
Nationality: Nigeria
Current (or last) university: University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Current (or last) course: Physiotherapy
College preferences: St Johns
Other universities you’re applying to: UCL, Maryland, Emory, Sheffield
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 44
Is it wise to mention also your proposed supervisor in your statement of interest? Despite the fact that they’ve provided a separate box in the app to state them?

I think it wouldn't hurt. I stated mine in my SOP and my supervisor didn't mind upon reviewing it
(edited 2 years ago)
Courses Applied For: DPhil in Theology and Religion and MA Late Antique and Byzantine Studies

Undergrad Uni: Durham University (First-Class Honours and straight First-Class marks in final year) BA Theology and Religion

Current MA Uni: University of Cambridge, MPhil Theology and Religion on a fully funded scholarship from University of Cambridge based on academic merit and financial need.

College Applied To: Lincoln College
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aspiringacademic
Prospective Course: DPhil in Theology and Religion

Undergrad Uni: Durham University (First-Class Honours and straight First-Class marks in final year) BA Theology and Religion

Current MA Uni: University of Cambridge, MPhil Theology and Religion on a fully funded scholarship from University of Cambridge based on academic merit and need.

Ps: The funding deadline for PhD is 7th January, right?

Oh no, you left Assyriology? How come?
Reply 47
Original post by vincentlaw
So how are you guys planing on getting funding?

Applying for a couple of local scholarships with hopes of being nominated for one of the internal scholarships. Got in last year but had to decline o/a funding
Oh no, you left Assyriology? How come?

I did! I just missed Theology and realised it was more my cup of tea but I'm feeling really good about my decision. I hope you're keeping well
I did! I just missed Theology and realised it was more my cup of tea but I'm feeling really good about my decision. I hope you're keeping well

That's fair, I just came from another thread because I was looking for people who were applying for Archaeology I'm not sure I know you ha ha but hope you are keeping well too lol and your course sounds cool
This thread is so exciting - wishing you all the best!

Prospective course: Mst in History (Modern European)
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.85 GPA - USA system
Nationality: American
Current (or last) university: Small college in the US
Current (or last) course: B.A. in History
College preferences: Not sure yet!
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, KCL

I'm so torn on which college to pick, currently deciding between Worcester/Magdalene/Lincoln. Curious if anyone here has insight on which colleges have the best postgraduate accommodation and experience!
Reply 51
Prospective Course(s): DPhil Oriental Studies and Mst Late Antique and Byzantine Studies
Achieved Grades: BA First-Class Honours
Nationality: British
Current University/Course: University of Cambridge/MPhil Assyriology (With Cambridge University Trust scholarship)
Previous University/Course: University of Durham, BA Theology and Religion
College Preferences: Undecided
Other Universities applying for: Cambridge and Durham

I’m glad to see someone else who’s also applying to oriental studies! Though my direction is different. I was just wondering if you have reached out to potential supervisors as i heard that oriental studies don’t read your proposal prior to formal application (other institutions may allow it and let you know its kind of ‘safe’ to apply). I’m just feeling very uncertain about this and wanted to know your experience if possible!
Hey everyone!

Prospective course: Masters in Public Policy
Achieved (or expected) grade: LLB (First Class Hons), BA (Politics)
Nationality: Malaysian
Current (or last) university: A university in New Zealand
Current (or last) course: Law, Politics
College preferences: Queen's College
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge (MPhil in Public Policy)
Hi all! I wasn't sure if I would have the mood to apply again (I was waitlisted on the last cycle), but here am I. :colondollar:

Prospective course: Masters in Public Policy
Achieved (or expected) grade: Lower than Oxford asks, but with extenuating circumstances.
Nationality: Brazilian
Current (or last) university: A Brazilian uni at the Federal District
Current (or last) course: Political Science
College preferences: No idea
Other universities you're applying to: LSE (got an offer this year but had to reinstate) and York.
Original post by Henry S
I’m glad to see someone else who’s also applying to oriental studies! Though my direction is different. I was just wondering if you have reached out to potential supervisors as i heard that oriental studies don’t read your proposal prior to formal application (other institutions may allow it and let you know its kind of ‘safe’ to apply). I’m just feeling very uncertain about this and wanted to know your experience if possible!

Hi, I actually changed my Cambridge MPhil to Theology so I'm now going to be applying for a Theology DPhil instead but good luck!
Hello everyone!

Prospective course: MSc in Experimental and Translational Therapeutics
Achieved (or expected) grade: 80/100
Nationality: Australian
Current (or last) university: Group of 8, in Australia
Current (or last) course: B.Nursing
College preferences: Not sure yet!
Other universities you’re applying to:

With 5 years of related working experience in clinical trial. I’m not sure if my background is competitive enough. Is there anyone who is applying /or have applied the course that could share your experience with me? Thank you!!
Original post by Henry S

What course in Oriental Studies are you applying for? I'm likely going to apply for the year after.
Is anyone applying for any of the DPhil programmes in Medical Sciences Division?
Original post by _gcx
Does anyone have a more realistic breakdown of living costs? Who spends £400 (or even 280, right now I'm spending just over 100 with no attempt to be economical) per month on food? And I would think I'd be able to get accommodation for a bit less than £650 per month.

Current postgrad here. Unfortunately, Oxford does tend to be expensive when buying food. At my college's hall, eating three meals a day tends to run in the range of £10. Formal halls can vary in price depending on college, I have heard of formals running anywhere between £8.50 to upwards of £30. Eating at local restaurants can be pricey, anywhere in the £11- £15 per person range at a restaurant is typical in Oxford. It is certainly possible to self-cater at a lower budget point.

Many colleges offer accommodation lower than £650/month. It is worth doing due diligence on accommodation before deciding to list a college preference. Many colleges offer accommodation in houses away from the main site.
Hi everyone! I hope everything is going well for everyone. Does anyone know if there is a support group for application submission? particularly the scholarship applications? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending