Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Prospective course: DPhil English
Achieved (or expected) grade: Distinction
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: UCL
Current (or last) course: Reception of the Classical World
College preferences: Unsure.
Other universities you’re applying to: Uncertain.

Hi everyone, best of luck!

(Application is sort of a storm in the background right now, getting myself through a lengthy reading list and have got the first draft of a research proposal hammered out).

Q&A part of the English application tells us not to contact prospective supervisors, so I haven't. Slowly starting to think that may be a mistake.
(edited 2 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hello all. I’m an MPhil Cambridge grad interested in applying for DPhil study at Oxford. Does anyone know if colleges like Lincoln, Merton, Christ Church usually have spots for those applying to the March deadlines? Thanks!
Original post by GRKI98
Prospective course: DPhil English
Achieved (or expected) grade: Distinction
Current (or last) university: UCL
Current (or last) course: Reception of the Classical World
College preferences: Unsure.
Other universities you’re applying to: Uncertain.

Hi everyone, best of luck!

(Application is sort of a storm in the background right now, getting myself through a lengthy reading list and have got the first draft of a research proposal hammered out).

Q&A part of the English application tells us not to contact prospective supervisors, so I haven't. Slowly starting to think that may be a mistake.

Good luck with the research proposal! Surely no mistake has been made, if you were following the Q&A instructions?
Reply 63
Original post by Anonymous
What course in Oriental Studies are you applying for? I'm likely going to apply for the year after.

I'm applying to Chinese studies. What about you?
Anyone here applying for population health?
Original post by Henry S
I'm applying to Chinese studies. What about you?

Ancient Near Eastern Studies/Egyptology, as long as I do well in my MA. Best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 66
Ancient Near Eastern Studies/Egyptology, as long as I do well in my MA. Best of luck with your application :smile:

Thank you and best of luck with you MA!
Reply 67
Prospective course: Egyptology
Achieved (or expected) grade: GPA 3.88
Nationality: Indonesian
Current (or last) university: Padjajaran University
Current (or last) course: Arabic Literature
College preferences: not sure, maybe Linacre or St.Cross
Other universities you’re applying to: -
Original post by politicspro
Hi all! I wasn't sure if I would have the mood to apply again (I was waitlisted on the last cycle), but here am I. :colondollar:

Prospective course: Masters in Public Policy
Achieved (or expected) grade: Lower than Oxford asks, but with extenuating circumstances.
Nationality: Brazilian
Current (or last) university: A Brazilian uni at the Federal District
Current (or last) course: Political Science
College preferences: No idea
Other universities you're applying to: LSE (got an offer this year but had to reinstate) and York.

Hi, I'm also applying for this course! How is your application coming along?
Hi guys, I submitted my application last week as it says on my portal 'reddy for assessment in the January deadline period'. Any idea if applications will be assessed earlier than January?
Original post by Missmai10
Hi guys, I submitted my application last week as it says on my portal 'reddy for assessment in the January deadline period'. Any idea if applications will be assessed earlier than January?

It depends on your department, as some take longer than others. Last year, many people's applications were getting decisions between January and April. There is really no telling how long it may take, but by submitting now, it puts your application in the best position to hear back in the earlier group.
(edited 2 years ago)
Prospective course: MSc Neuroscience
Achieved (or expected) grade: 1st
Current (or last) university: Lancaster University
Current (or last) course: BSc Mathematics
College preferences: None!
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Lancaster
Reply 72
Is college really matter for postgrads? Any advice to choose one?
Reply 73
Original post by journeyaway
Good luck with the research proposal! Surely no mistake has been made, if you were following the Q&A instructions?

Q&A instructions followed! Just imagining a worst case scenario where they think my proposal looks solid but think it's too left of field without further info (and reject it on that basis).
Original post by Hinako

In general, they matter less. Postgraduates apply to their department and are then allocated a college, whereas undergraduates apply to do a course at a specific college and might be reallocated elsewhere.

Check out the "which colleges offer my course?" tab and do some research. Every college offers a slightly different experience, so it depends what's important to you. If you prefer to be surrounded by fellow graduate/older students, there are seven postgraduate-only colleges you might want to consider. Some colleges set aside loads of accommodation for postgraduates while some do not, and the location of accommodation can vary widely. All of Oxford is very walkable but you may want to consider whether you want to live close to the Parks/Science Site, the city centre, the train station/business school, etc. If you are applying for a research course you might want to see which college your potential advisor(s) are located at as well.

At the end of the day postgraduates do have more say in how involved they would like to be in college life, but it never hurts to do a little research. I hope this helped!
Original post by Hinako

Would pay to check that the college offers accommodation for the course you are applying to. There was a college which I liked the look of, had good funding opportunities etc - then I double-checked and realised that it didn't take students who were applying for my course.
Reply 76
In general, they matter less. Postgraduates apply to their department and are then allocated a college, whereas undergraduates apply to do a course at a specific college and might be reallocated elsewhere.

Check out the "which colleges offer my course?" tab and do some research. Every college offers a slightly different experience, so it depends what's important to you. If you prefer to be surrounded by fellow graduate/older students, there are seven postgraduate-only colleges you might want to consider. Some colleges set aside loads of accommodation for postgraduates while some do not, and the location of accommodation can vary widely. All of Oxford is very walkable but you may want to consider whether you want to live close to the Parks/Science Site, the city centre, the train station/business school, etc. If you are applying for a research course you might want to see which college your potential advisor(s) are located at as well.

At the end of the day postgraduates do have more say in how involved they would like to be in college life, but it never hurts to do a little research. I hope this helped!

It helps very much, thank you!
Reply 77
Dose anyone know what fundings/scholarships are available from Oxford University? How hard it is to get? And does it depend on whether you are applying for a D.Phil. or a masters degree course (taught or research)? Thank you.
Original post by D.Y.
Dose anyone know what fundings/scholarships are available from Oxford University? How hard it is to get? And does it depend on whether you are applying for a D.Phil. or a masters degree course (taught or research)? Thank you.

There's a list here - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/fees-and-funding/fees-funding-and-scholarship-search/scholarships-a-z-listing

There are different scholarships for different courses - and some are exclusive to certain nationalities. The funding amounts vary too.
Hello
I am from India and I have applied for Dphil in International Development. Anyone in this forum applied for the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending