The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2022 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone apply to the MSc Refugee and Forced Migration Program?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
How can I see if the applications are rolling or not? I spent some time looking through the program page and the application, but no dice. (DPhil English).
I'm a bit late to the party and haven't applied yet due to personal circumstances, but I'm finalising my application now so thought I might join in and hopefully be able to connect with other applicants. Also, just to say I am reapplying this year after getting onto the waiting list for my prospective course last year.

Prospective course: English (1830-1914) MSt
Achieved (or expected) grade: First
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: Newcastle University
Current (or last) course: English Literature and History (BA) Hons
College preferences: University College
Other universities you’re applying to: I have offers from the University of Leeds and Durham University. I am also considering applying to Newcastle University and others, depending on the outcome of my application to Oxford this year.
Hello, can someone with an experience of the admission process assist me with this: I got in last year but had to withdraw my application due to last minute personal reasons. I am applying again with the same personal statement and statement of purpose just with minor edits and revisions. Is that okay? Or do I have to write a new PS/ SOP? ( I already did) but I am still quite passionate about what was written in my last one and will like to explore the research I planned on studying.

Thank you.
Reply 84
I just submitted my application for a DPhil in the History of Art. I have 2 masters degrees, one in Art History and one in Adult and Higher Education, both with a 4.0 gpa (I am in the USA). My undergraduate degree from over 20 years ago is not so great at a 3.25 gpa. I did reach out to the department a while ago to see if I would be considered a competitive applicant because of my undergrad gpa. Luckily, they said that it would be considered and I should apply. However, I did not contact a potential supervisor as they said on the website that it was not necessary. I hope that does not hurt my chances. Does anyone know if it does? I also chose Magdalen as my college because they offer 2 years of guaranteed graduate student accommodation. Being from the USA, living in a college is pretty important. Good luck to all who have applied!
Hi everyone! Just thought I would introduce myself and drop my stats here in case anyone here is applying for the same course.

Prospective course: MSt Global and Imperial History
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.77
Nationality: French
Current (or last) university: NYU
Current (or last) course: Social and Cultural Analysis
College preferences: St John's
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, Sciences Po and potentially Leiden
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, can someone with an experience of the admission process assist me with this: I got in last year but had to withdraw my application due to last minute personal reasons. I am applying again with the same personal statement and statement of purpose just with minor edits and revisions. Is that okay? Or do I have to write a new PS/ SOP? ( I already did) but I am still quite passionate about what was written in my last one and will like to explore the research I planned on studying.

Thank you.

Hi, I am also reapplying this year however am in a slightly different position as I didn't get a place, only onto the waiting list. I've changed my application materials quite a bit, mainly because my research interests changed and became more relevant to the course since my first application. Also, because I only got onto the waiting list, I requested a copy of my assessment form, which had some limited feedback, which I have tried to improve upon this time round. Most of these things are particular to my situation and so my advice would be that, if there are things that have changed to make you a more competitive candidate then it is definitely worth updating your application materials with that information. I'd also recommend asking others to look at your materials (particularly academics that taught you and know your research) in case they spot anything that they think is worth adding in or editing slightly. But otherwise, I think you should be confident with the work that you submitted last year because that got you onto the course in the first place. So don't feel like you need to change it for the sake of changing it.

Best of luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by Sukie77
I just submitted my application for a DPhil in the History of Art. I have 2 masters degrees, one in Art History and one in Adult and Higher Education, both with a 4.0 gpa (I am in the USA). My undergraduate degree from over 20 years ago is not so great at a 3.25 gpa. I did reach out to the department a while ago to see if I would be considered a competitive applicant because of my undergrad gpa. Luckily, they said that it would be considered and I should apply. However, I did not contact a potential supervisor as they said on the website that it was not necessary. I hope that does not hurt my chances. Does anyone know if it does? I also chose Magdalen as my college because they offer 2 years of guaranteed graduate student accommodation. Being from the USA, living in a college is pretty important. Good luck to all who have applied!

I can understand that universities do not want applicants contact potential supervisors. I guess the more important thing to do is to see what research the faculties are doing, and read their papers/books/publications, etc. before submitting a proposal. Having a well-known professor from you school or you have worked with as a reference would help, though not a pre-requisite. I would think any work experience in museums, published articles in the relevant magazines/journals would be helpful. Good luck to you.
Original post by Wildean99
Hi, I am also reapplying this year however am in a slightly different position as I didn't get a place, only onto the waiting list. I've changed my application materials quite a bit, mainly because my research interests changed and became more relevant to the course since my first application. Also, because I only got onto the waiting list, I requested a copy of my assessment form, which had some limited feedback, which I have tried to improve upon this time round. Most of these things are particular to my situation and so my advice would be that, if there are things that have changed to make you a more competitive candidate then it is definitely worth updating your application materials with that information. I'd also recommend asking others to look at your materials (particularly academics that taught you and know your research) in case they spot anything that they think is worth adding in or editing slightly. But otherwise, I think you should be confident with the work that you submitted last year because that got you onto the course in the first place. So don't feel like you need to change it for the sake of changing it.

Can you tell us about that limited feedback?

Thank you so much.
Original post by Anonymous
Can you tell us about that limited feedback?

Sure thing! There were only two pieces. One was regarding the written work that I submitted and to be honest didn't really explain how to improve and was more of a comment on the quality of the work. And then the other was that my personal statement was specific on my research interests but not specific enough on why Oxford would be the right place to pursue them (or at least words to that effect).
Reply 91
Just got an email from Oxford graduate admissions notifying that oriental studies has changed their policy on interviews (at least for the DPhil) this year and applicants might be invited for an interview. I don't know when was the last time they interviewed people, but if anyone has had interview experiences with this faculty or other departments as well, could they share some thoughts on interviews for DPhil applications?
Original post by Henry S
Just got an email from Oxford graduate admissions notifying that oriental studies has changed their policy on interviews (at least for the DPhil) this year and applicants might be invited for an interview. I don't know when was the last time they interviewed people, but if anyone has had interview experiences with this faculty or other departments as well, could they share some thoughts on interviews for DPhil applications?

Hi, this might not be relevant but just in case it is I thought I'd mention it. I currently work for a university's careers service and we offer interview practice for students up to three years after they've graduated. I imagine that this sort of thing would be offered by most careers services and so it could be a good idea to check out what the university that you attend(ed) offers in terms of interview support as it could be useful.
Reply 93
Hi, this might not be relevant but just in case it is I thought I'd mention it. I currently work for a university's careers service and we offer interview practice for students up to three years after they've graduated. I imagine that this sort of thing would be offered by most careers services and so it could be a good idea to check out what the university that you attend(ed) offers in terms of interview support as it could be useful.

Hi thanks for your reply and I really appreciate the advice! I'll try and see what my uni offers in terms of this! Thanks again
Prospective course: MSt Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class
Current (or last) university: University of Nottingham
Current (or last) course: BSc Psychology and Philosophy
College preferences: Jesus College
Other universities you’re applying to: UCL, LSE
I am Applying to the MSt in Early modern history. I was also accepted into Cambridge’s MPhil. I have a great statement and references, however, my GPA is 3.74. The page says they “normally”— emphasis on normally— accept a minimum GPAs of 3.75. Is this a cause of worry? I have even contacted a potential advisor and she was happy our interests aligned. Any clarification would be much appreciated.
Reply 96
Original post by Rareroyal
Prospective course: MSt Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class
Current (or last) university: University of Nottingham
Current (or last) course: BSc Psychology and Philosophy
College preferences: Jesus College
Other universities you’re applying to: UCL, LSE

Thought this might be relevant as you're applying to UCL as well. I did the UCL MA in Gender, Society and Representation, and the programme was fantastic, and if you have any questions regarding it just DM me
Has anyone submitted their DPhil application for the December deadline? Just submitted my application on Thursday, so nervous!
Reply 98
Original post by Nugget4lyfe
Has anyone submitted their DPhil application for the December deadline? Just submitted my application on Thursday, so nervous!

Mine is January deadline, but yes I have submitted the application! Can I ask what your area is?
Original post by Henry S
Mine is January deadline, but yes I have submitted the application! Can I ask what your area is?

Ah good luck! I’m applying for population health, how about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending