The Student Room Group

What moment at school put you off a subject for life?

Just a bit of gossip about moments you had at school that put you off a subject.

What did a teacher say to you? Did one topic put you off etc?

I’ll start

When I was 13, we had to write a short story/poem about a topic of choice. The actual question said something like “it can be anything, it can be about lions, hurricanes, aliens….even a tea cup!”

So, due to a lack of creativity, I decided to cram all of the above into the same story

So I wrote a story about how someone was sucked into the swirling tea in a cup, and went on a journey. Every level as they dipped down encountered all of the above - so initially he went to a jungle with lions, then as he kept going down further he encountered aliens from another planet and then next level penguins in snow etc.”

I got a very poor mark and my English teacher was not impressed at all. Can’t remember the feedback but I felt that I’d put a lot of effort in and it was quite creative the more I think about it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That Bearded Man
Just a bit of gossip about moments you had at school that put you off a subject.

I’ll start

When I was 13, we had to write a short story/poem about a topic of choice. The actual question said something like “it can be anything, it can be about lions, hurricanes, aliens….even a tea cup!”

So, due to a lack of creativity, I decided to cram all of the above into the same story

So I wrote a story about how someone was sucked into the swirling tea in a cup, and went on a journey. Every level as they dipped down encountered all of the above - so initially he went to a jungle with lions, then as he kept going down further he encountered aliens from another planet and then next level penguins in snow etc.”

I got a very poor mark and my English teacher was not impressed at all. Can’t remember the feedback but I felt that I’d put a lot of effort in and it was quite creative the more I think about it

Sounds like an interesting story to me. :biggrin:
I did literally 0 work in art for 3 years and thats when I realised I should not do Art GCSE.
And by 0 work I mean for 3 years in a row my art book was empty, with 80 or so ripped out first pages.
Original post by That Bearded Man

I’ll start

That actually sounds really good to me wth? And mine was my art teacher lol, in the previous years all my previous art teachers loved me and would call me an artist and etc. But in year nine I had this guy and I just couldn’t be bothered in his lesson and he just put me off art and he even told me to not draw anything in my life ever again after year nine bc i sucked
Whys everyones art aha
Can't draw or paint to save my life. Luckily after a year of struggling they just let me read the art history books instead.
I should also add I was put off Art when my teacher said something like - “I hope you’re not thinking about a career in Art TBM” because my trainer drawing was poor
I can't draw for sh-. Art is not my thing but at least I'm good at maths and essays! 😁
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
School in general killed most subjects. Shakespeare and ruining good books by analysing them to death put me off of English lit. I still enjoy reading though so not sure if it was for life 🤷🏼*♂️
My chemistry teacher went through homework answers in class, using mine as an example. He tore me to shreds over how bad it was, in front of the entire class (I’d found that particular assignment difficult). To rub salt in the wounds he picked on me to answer all questions and made me repeat everything he just said! And had the nerve to say “don’t look at me like that” as I sat there open mouthed at the treatment I was getting.

Still, I persevered and ended up with AA in double award science so he can stick that up a dark spot :u:
English in Year 6 - We had the deputy headteacher and her mouth was cooking waffles. Some really love to talk. Gradually lost my enthusiasm as the years went on, pretty much died in Year 8.
honestly art. i’m really good at it, but at gcse allll my time was spent on art. constant deadlines really stressed me out
i didn't do GCSE PE because i thought the PE jersey (which had your name on the back like a football shirt) 'was gay'
Reply 13
It didn't put me off the subject thankfully, but when I showed up for my music GCSE exam, the teacher turned at me and said, "why are you here?! Go home." I was totally shocked, so I just went home without sitting the exam. It caused me to get a U in music, which was one of my better subjects. I was so angry at her for that but it was the end of school and I never saw her again. Thinking about it as an adult and how unprofessional that was, I should have reported her. I still don't understand why she did that.
year 7 - 9 of Geography. i never really liked geography anyway but this school just made it impossible for me to even learn the subject. we first had a very strict older woman as a teacher who practiallly hated all of us, then she unfortunately had an accident and couldn't teach us so we got a younger shorter woman as our teacher. this woman was so angry all the time over nothing. she hated everyone except the 3 people who were doing well in the class. she once sent us all out of class early and kept the golden 3 behind, and gave them revision notes to help them with our upcoming exam??? purposefully making the rest of the class fail!

the next year she didn't teach us, nobody taught us. we had a series of substitute teachers. practically a new one every week. they would either teach us the same thing over and over or would put on a bear grylls episode for us to watch. our origional teacher did come back near the end of the year, but she had a very posoitive attidute and was much kinder than before, so i guess the 2 year break did her some good at least.

next year, year 9, we had a good teacher but he just couldn't controll the class. i guess thats partly the boys in my class' fault but it was really ridiculous. they would call the teacher by his first name (pablo) and make fun of him asking if he was spanish (he wasn't) even though i specifically placed myself at the front of the class i couldn't get any work done.

to this day i do not know a spot of geography. you could give me a map of england and i would throw it back in your face. costal erosion??? ox rivers???/ never heard of her.
In year 7 we had to write letters to companies to get free stuff. Apparently mine was so bad my teacher crossed 2/3 of it out and rewrote it himself. Lost the little confidence I had after that.

I guess he didn’t put me off for life but in engineering my teacher was always making innuendos and the classroom a really unpleasant place for female students. Boys would get away with wolf whistling when girls picked stuff up from the floor etc. It was the reason I ended up going with food for my gcse option rather than engineering which I would even consider a career in :smile:
When I was in last year of primary school I remember putting up my hand in maths to say I didn't understand long division. The teacher said "I've literally just explained it!" and made me sit outside the classroom as a punishment for not paying attention. That gave me a maths phobia for many years not to mention a certain reluctance to tell a teacher when I didn't understand their lesson.
Reply 17
maths teacher was just a grade a bell
We had a random one-off French class in year 1 and I remember being bored to death. I’ve hated French ever since. My secondary school French classes were essentially just gossip sessions.
sorry you exp tht, sounds horrific, surprised these people are allowed to work with vulnerable people. Did he ever get reported at all?

Quick Reply

Latest