The Student Room Group

UCAT Case Incident Report

Has anyone had experience with UCAT annotating your result due to interruptions on the day. DO you know if this puts u at a disadvantage

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by stevo000
Has anyone had experience with UCAT annotating your result due to interruptions on the day. DO you know if this puts u at a disadvantage

It’d be better to retake a test if Pearson let you.
Some universities explicitly say they will not consider extenuating circumstances to your UCAT scores, even though it’s not your fault. An annotation also does very little, your score should ideally still be high enough for the university you want. I have had annotations in the past and were not considered, or did not help. The annotations were worded to suggest my section was disrupted as timing was lost due to technical difficulties but they would not say I was definitely disadvantaged in the section or performed worse because they can’t know for certain….although you’re hardly gonna agree that it was a positive disruption to your test. I was told my score was too low (200 lower than those interviewed) when I lost testing time last time I did the UCAT and it was literally 200 points with extenuating circumstances and universities had my annotation.
This year, again technical difficulties but they said I’ll get a response from them in 5 working days.
Reply 2
Original post by asclepeion
It’d be better to retake a test if Pearson let you.
Some universities explicitly say they will not consider extenuating circumstances to your UCAT scores, even though it’s not your fault. An annotation also does very little, your score should ideally still be high enough for the university you want. I have had annotations in the past and were not considered, or did not help. The annotations were worded to suggest my section was disrupted as timing was lost due to technical difficulties but they would not say I was definitely disadvantaged in the section or performed worse because they can’t know for certain….although you’re hardly gonna agree that it was a positive disruption to your test. I was told my score was too low (200 lower than those interviewed) when I lost testing time last time I did the UCAT and it was literally 200 points with extenuating circumstances and universities had my annotation.
This year, again technical difficulties but they said I’ll get a response from them in 5 working days.

Oh okay. could I ask which Unis u applied to last year?
Reply 3
Oh okay. could I ask which Unis u applied to last year?

KCL, Warwick, QMUL, Southampton. I’m applying for grad medicine.
But you should check with the universities you want to apply for…e.g. SGUL don’t accept extenuating circumstances for UCAT or interview scores. It’s on their website and if you can’t find it for other unis, worth emailing the ones you want to apply for if they’ll take it into account.
Reply 4
Thanks so much for the help. Good luck with ur application this year.
Reply 5
Thanks so much for the help. Good luck with ur application this year.

Depending on how big the disruption, perhaps push for a resit rather than an annotation?
Not sure if that’s possible this year though, and you could also end up resitting with a much harder UCAT test because not everyone sits the same test and you wouldn’t resit the same one.
Reply 6
Depending on how big the disruption, perhaps push for a resit rather than an annotation?
Not sure if that’s possible this year though, and you could also end up resitting with a much harder UCAT test because not everyone sits the same test and you wouldn’t resit the same one.

Yeah I will try get a resit. Thanks for the help.
Reply 7
Yeah I will try get a resit. Thanks for the help.

Same here… 6 min disrruption… did u manage to get approval to resit??
Reply 8
Original post by LidaH

They take at least 5 working days to respond with their decision.
Reply 9
They take at least 5 working days to respond with their decision.

Good luck
Reply 10
Original post by LidaH

Unfortunately they say resit is not an option. However I have spoken to the Unis which I am interested in and they say that they will consider annotations.
Reply 11
Unfortunately they say resit is not an option. However I have spoken to the Unis which I am interested in and they say that they will consider annotations.

Ask UCAT to send you the annotation before they finalise it. I was able to do that last time so I could see exactly what they planned to say to my unis. When they suggested it "may" have disrupted my exam, I was livid lol and requested them to change the wording, which they did.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Ask UCAT to send you the annotation before they finalise it. I was able to do that last time so I could see exactly what they planned to say to my unis. When they suggested it "may" have disrupted my exam, I was livid lol and requested them to change the wording, which they did.

Thanks so much for the advice. They have said that I will have a chance to review the wording which is good. Can I ask which unis you applied to and whether u got the offers and did they take the annotations into consideration
Reply 13
Thanks so much for the advice. They have said that I will have a chance to review the wording which is good. Can I ask which unis you applied to and whether u got the offers and did they take the annotations into consideration

Unis I applied to said they would take it into account but I don't think they did to be honest because I was still a few hundred points off their general cutoffs and the GEM cut-offs are higher than undergraduate entry.
Haven't got any offers, I'm a GEM re-applicant and it's my 4th UCAT test.
I'm still waiting for UCAT to get back to me for the technical difficulties I experienced last week during my exam.
Reply 14

i am interested on same issue. Were you able to find out?
Reply 15
Original post by LidaH
i am interested on same issue. Were you able to find out?

It really depends on the med school ur applying to. I would suggest contacting the med schools directly to ask how they consider it
Hi I sat my ucat yesterday and got score 2300 with band 2. During my dm section there was a power outage where the computers were shut for 20 minutes. Do u think it sounds reasonable enough to get a resit?
has anyone got a decision on their case bc my ucat was 16th aug and I still haven't heard back and kinda need to before the 15th oct/31st sept (internal deadline)
@asclepeion did you/your friends get the results of your incident before the 15th of October, kinda panicking because I can't email unis asking about my (potential) annotation and how it impacts my application without knowing whether or not I have an annotation and what it says
Reply 19
Original post by AliceKS
@asclepeion did you/your friends get the results of your incident before the 15th of October, kinda panicking because I can't email unis asking about my (potential) annotation and how it impacts my application without knowing whether or not I have an annotation and what it says

In the past I/they all have, but it’s been taking ages this time! Heard nothing except they’re investigating it!
I only emailed my chosen unis after UCAS was submitted last time and gave them my scores and my annotation, so that when they receive it from UCAT, they’ll can check it.
Maybe email your potential unis first to ask if they take into account annotations and test incidences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending