The Student Room Group

Honest Opinions

For those that have already been on a gap year

1) did you enjoy it?
2) was it planned?
3) what would you have done if you could turn back time? would you still wish that you went on a gap year?

For those that are currently in a gap year

1) how is it going?
2) did you plan it?
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year?
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont)

For those that want to go

1) why?
2) planning it now?
3) what would you do on your gap year?

hope everyone can contribute honestly thnx :smile:

Scroll to see replies

1) Well :smile:
2) Yes...
3) Yes...
4) No...

1) how is it going? - So far, a bit boring..obviously ive started it a bit late and am only a few weeks in but i have some job interviews lined up which is exciting, and im looking to get my own place, move out. ALSO im planning a little trip in the sumer
2) did you plan it? No, it was unplanned..im planning as i go along, the best way really lol
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? University ofcourse
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) Nope, not yet!

1) how is it going?
better than i imagined! working full time at harrods-am enjoying getting money(saving to go thailand), not worrying about deadlines,and am becoming more confident meeting so many people everyday. on the negative side- reeally missing having weekends off, having free time and not seeing friends as often as i'd like to

2) did you plan it? nope. was the last thing i wanted to do. i narrowly missed my grades and none of the unis i liked were in clearing. don't regret it at all now though! its only a year and i get to go travelling :biggrin:
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? unii
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) made me want to go even more coz i know i am SOO going to appreciate all the free time and make the most of everything after working!
Reply 4

1) how is it going? Gooooooood however, in boring part now, working as much as possible
2) did you plan it? yes!
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? yes, uni
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) not sure if i want to go to uni...i mean i dont want to get a job unless its the police force might just do a ski season somewhere...etc.

are you thinking of/done one then?!
Reply 5
ele01

1) how is it going? Gooooooood however, in boring part now, working as much as possible
2) did you plan it? yes!
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? yes, uni
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) not sure if i want to go to uni...i mean i dont want to get a job unless its the police force might just do a ski season somewhere...etc.

are you thinking of/done one then?!

still in year 13 (A2 year, 2nd year of college)

so im still in the thinking stage.
Reply 6
1) how is it going? Pretty badly. D:
2) did you plan it? No. I just decided I'd get a job and figure out what I want to do at university.
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? Go to uni...
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) I went from having no idea at all to finding a course I really like the sound of. Dunno if I'll get in though...
1) how is it going? At themoment, it's pretty ****. But I spent the summer in France having probably the best time ever, so I shouldn't really complain. At the moment, I'm sitting about until January, when my plans all start up again.
2) did you plan it? Sort of. Until like December of Year 13, I was certain I was going straight to uni. Then I heard about the scheme I went to France with and it seemed too good an opportunity to miss, so I deferred my entry. I haven't got any concrete plans for the rest of the year yet, though.
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? Already got a place on hold for me at UCL.
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year Nope. I wavered briefly about my course choice, but overall I'm still on the same course I was before.
Reply 8
chriztina27

1) how is it going?
better than i imagined! working full time at harrods-am enjoying getting money(saving to go thailand), not worrying about deadlines,and am becoming more confident meeting so many people everyday. on the negative side- reeally missing having weekends off, having free time and not seeing friends as often as i'd like to

2) did you plan it? nope. was the last thing i wanted to do. i narrowly missed my grades and none of the unis i liked were in clearing. don't regret it at all now though! its only a year and i get to go travelling :biggrin:
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? unii
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) made me want to go even more coz i know i am SOO going to appreciate all the free time and make the most of everything after working!

I am in an almost identical situation to you!! well glad that i didn't get in now and like you said, makes u realise how much you want uni and which course to go on.
Post-Uni Gap Year

1) how is it going? Good so far. Though I urgently need a second paid job with more hours if I want to travel.
2) did you plan it? Had a rough idea of what I wanted to do but generally went with the flow. Three apps, Three interviews, Three Jobs/Internships (not at the same time mind)
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? MA
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) No.
Reply 10
for those who did a gap year

1) yes, it was amazing. I loved the people I met, the country I was in (mexico), the work I was doing (teaching english, working with kids and the community)
2) nope, my college turned round in feb of upper 6th and said that I didn't have a place in uni till the year after, so I was made to take a gap year if I wanted to accept that place. I was torn between going to that uni, or another, but decided to go for it. After a couple of weeks of panic and arguments about going away for a long time with the parents, everything settled down, and after spending hours on the internet researching companies, I found what I wanted to do, and had everything in place in July. Also, slight panic trying to find a job after I finished alevels, but again, everything sorted itself out, and I got two jobs, one full time, one one day a week till jan of my gap year.
3) If I could turn back time? I'd reassure myself that everything would be great in the end. And I would probably tell the other girl I went on placement with to get a sense of humour. We weren't the best of friends, and it was the times I spent on placement when she wasn't there that were the best. and I would take waaaayyyy more photos to bore everyone with when I got back. I love looking at my photies! Oh, and make sure you get the email of EVERYONE you meet/get on with. once you get back home, it's impossible to keep in touch otherwise.
would i still wish I went on a gap year? Well, I can't really believe that I never considered taking one in the first place, and I am soooo happy that I was given one. It makes you a more worldly wise, interesting, curious person (embrace the gap year cliche). Plus, lots of hilarious stories to tell, and quality beach time involved.

1) how is it going?
Pretty well. I´m enjoying the experience of living in another country for a while, though not looking forward to having top work once I get back home...

2) did you plan it?
Not at all. I unexpectadly got into a a uni which had given me a deferred entry offer, fell into a short term job, emailed someone I knew in Venezuela and was on a plane 3 weeks later.

3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year?
I´m going to university.

4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont)
nope.
thank you for all the responses everyone! :smile:

im really really grateful.

seems like everyone would like to go to uni after their gap year, or the gap year has consolidated their thoughts of going to uni.
Reply 13

1) how is it going? Soso good! I spent my summer interrailing around Europe.. then I saved at home working for a few months and Ive just recently moved out to Florence in Italy to spend 6-10 months on a horse-riding holiday centre, then planning on working in France for a while before heading to Eastern Europe
2) did you plan it? From about June/July when I realised I didn't want to spend the next years of my life in education without a break
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? university but i'm sure i'll be temped never t return home from here haha.
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) not yet but as I said, I bet it's going to happen! I love being in places where everything is unfamilier and new and I don't think I'll be happy settling down for any period of time.. but who knows, I think University is a good idea also so :smile:
gojiberry

1) how is it going? Soso good! I spent my summer interrailing around Europe.. then I saved at home working for a few months and Ive just recently moved out to Florence in Italy to spend 6-10 months on a horse-riding holiday centre, then planning on working in France for a while before heading to Eastern Europe
2) did you plan it? From about June/July when I realised I didn't want to spend the next years of my life in education without a break
3) ever thought about what you want to do after the gap year? university but i'm sure i'll be temped never t return home from here haha.
4) have you changed your mind during the gap year (e.g you wanted to go uni, but now you dont) not yet but as I said, I bet it's going to happen! I love being in places where everything is unfamilier and new and I don't think I'll be happy settling down for any period of time.. but who knows, I think University is a good idea also so :smile:

your sort of similar to me....how much did you save up during working? it must have been alot becuase your going for 6-10 months!
Currently on a gap year

1) Loving it! Got a brilliant job working in production/marketing/events in a large independent theatre in London. had a nice summer (not the best but pretty damn good) too
2) Very much so, from about April when I withdrew from UCAS.
3) History at uni (was never a question for me)
4) Nope.
tbh university does not really appeal to me at the moment, maybe it willl later (i konw it will for sure) but everyone here seems to want to go to uni afterwards, was it always a definite choice i.e. you knew you definitely wanted to go uni but you just wanted a gap year? or was it that you didnt really want to go uni, but you had your gap year, then that changed your mind and then you wanted to go uni.
Reply 17
tokyorose888
your sort of similar to me....how much did you save up during working? it must have been alot becuase your going for 6-10 months!

Honestly I saved like NOTHING.. like £500 :rolleyes: But the job I am working provides accomodation and food... so really since I'll be staying here for the majority of my gap year then I dont really need much money. If I didn't have this arrangement I'd be preeetty buggered haha. I guess it just shows its possible to do good things on a tight budget!
tokyorose888
tbh university does not really appeal to me at the moment, maybe it willl later (i konw it will for sure) but everyone here seems to want to go to uni afterwards, was it always a definite choice i.e. you knew you definitely wanted to go uni but you just wanted a gap year? or was it that you didnt really want to go uni, but you had your gap year, then that changed your mind and then you wanted to go uni.

I was very undecided all my way through my last year at sixth form, but I now realise that if i don't go to uni I may miss out on a really big life experience...but theres no need to go stright after year 13 just because everyone else is...its your decision :smile:
CazTheSpider
I was very undecided all my way through my last year at sixth form, but I now realise that if i don't go to uni I may miss out on a really big life experience...but theres no need to go stright after year 13 just because everyone else is...its your decision :smile:

thats true but it seems like everyone i asked or see is going to uni foremostly beause they want the "uni" experience and secondly to turn out with a good career. I want the second one, im not really attracted to the uni experience thing.

Latest