The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yodude888
lol can whoever neg-repped me for advising the OP to take the exam because "another qualification under your belt can't hurt" please own up?

thats plain funny
I didn't neg you but the BMAT isn't a qualification, its an entrance exam to some medical schools
really? already?
that was well early.

Hope it goes better at your other unis though OP
Good Luck!! :biggrin:
crazyhelicopter
I didn't neg you but the BMAT isn't a qualification, its an entrance exam to some medical schools

K, my mistake, but surely the fact still stands that it would look good to have a decent score on an exam, rather than nothing at all?

Thats my opinion at least - same is true of the STEP for maths
yodude888
K, my mistake, but surely the fact still stands that it would look good to have a decent score on an exam, rather than nothing at all?
Not really, OP has only applied to 1 university that uses BMAT for admissions and has been rejected. None of the other Unis will look at the BMAT or will be able to find out the score- application forms have been sent already remember.

Also BMAT is only valid for a year, so even if OP had to apply again the mark would b irrelevant. The only reason for OP to take the test next year would be for practice.
Reply 24
Take it for practice and just incase if you are claiming the fees back!!!!!!! Also if you scored very highly is there noway you could tell UCL to reconsider? but that would probs require a perfect score... Gd luck with the other choices!
Reply 25
yodude888

Thats my opinion at least - same is true of the STEP for maths

People take STEP because its something you can test yourself against 'for fun', but I've enver heard of anyone doing the same for the BMAT.
Reply 26
I'd do it anyway. It's good practise if, for example, you are going to apply to BMAT Universities next year. I know I would have benifited if I took the UKCAT last year as well as this year. It's a good indication of how well you would do in the test.

Also, do you mind telling us why you get rejected? It's pretty nerve racking knowing you've been rejected before they should be looking at applications.
Hosain H
I'd do it anyway. It's good practise if, for example, you are going to apply to BMAT Universities next year. I know I would have benifited if I took the UKCAT last year as well as this year. It's a good indication of how well you would do in the test.

I agree with this, take it anyway. Should you want/have to apply to a BMAT uni again next year you would have some experience on the test. And it might be a good indicator of how well you do next time. I personally would do it just to see how well I´d do :p:
Reply 28
just do it
Reply 29
Donc, je suis.
To clear things up we could just ask the OP whether they met them ( they don't have to give specifics).

OP: care to share? :smile:

I sent them a letter today asking why and they said I didnt meet the entry requierement because I got a C in biology even though when I checked it on the website they didnt ask for it....
Reply 30
cjgbr
just do it

:smile:
gonna do it:biggrin:
Reply 31
darkalkemist
I sent them a letter today asking why and they said I didnt meet the entry requierement because I got a C in biology even though when I checked it on the website they didnt ask for it....

at GCSE or AS?
Reply 32
yodude888
You might as well do it anyway... an extra qualification under your belt never hurts

The BMAT isn't a qualification, its just an admissions test. Did you find out if the BMAT mark counts to reapplications next year cos if not there really is no point of doing it at all
darkalkemist
:smile:
gonna do it:biggrin:

Good one, now do it and ace it, get a fantastic score and show UCL what thy missed out on :biggrin:
Nasher and Basher
Good one, now do it and ace it, get a fantastic score and show UCL what thy missed out on :biggrin:
yeah, erm

UCL won't care. They won't even know, they certainly wont change their mind on the basis of it, and no other university will include it in their judgement. This exam is a WASTE OF THE PERSONS TIME, and he no doubt has better things to do with it.

Now, what you could and should do is complain about your rejection and ask why you have been given one so soon. You either fail to meet their minimum requirements or wrote the most abysmal PS + reference in the history of medicine applications... or they made a mistake. Hope it's the latter, and get in contact with them quickly. If your rejection is definite, do not waste your time on the BMAT.
Llamageddon
yeah, erm

UCL won't care. They won't even know, they certainly wont change their mind on the basis of it, and no other university will include it in their judgement. This exam is a WASTE OF THE PERSONS TIME, and he no doubt has better things to do with it.

Now, what you could and should do is complain about your rejection and ask why you have been given one so soon. You either fail to meet their minimum requirements or wrote the most abysmal PS + reference in the history of medicine applications... or they made a mistake. Hope it's the latter, and get in contact with them quickly. If your rejection is definite, do not waste your time on the BMAT.

I was talking about personal satisfaction from knowing that the OP had the ability, and UCL didnt see it. After being rejected, the only thing you can do is prove to those that did you reject you, is that YOU do have what it takes to succeed.
Nasher and Basher
I was talking about personal satisfaction from knowing that the OP had the ability, and UCL didnt see it. After being rejected, the only thing you can do is prove to those that did you reject you, is that YOU do have what it takes to succeed.
oh, right, so you're suggesting that he should be stubborn.
Reply 37
Nasher and Basher

Llamagedon (sp?) is right...it's a waste of time and money when no-one's gonna see that score. If you prove it to yourself it's just a bit of ego rubbing isn't it. The OP must already think he's good enough for medicine unless he wouldn't have applied. PLUS there's still 3 unis left! If you get into one of those then it would be an even bigger time waste and personally, i think if you wanna prove something to UCL its through working really hard on your other 3, getting into medicine and showing you can stick at it!
Reply 38
darkalkemist
I got a rejection from ucl for medicine.Since I haven't done the bmat yet, do you think I should do it?
Ucl was the only uni I applyed for that requiered the bmat.

If I don't turn up at the exam can I still apply for a reimbursement of fees?

I don't mean to pry, but are you an international applicant? If not, did you meet their academic requirements?

I only ask because I was under the impression that rejections would be reserved untill after the BMAT.

EDIT: Read your post, sorry.
miss_snake
Llamagedon (sp?) is right...it's a waste of time and money when no-one's gonna see that score. If you prove it to yourself it's just a bit of ego rubbing isn't it. The OP must already think he's good enough for medicine unless he wouldn't have applied. PLUS there's still 3 unis left! If you get into one of those then it would be an even bigger time waste and personally, i think if you wanna prove something to UCL its through working really hard on your other 3, getting into medicine and showing you can stick at it!

The OP has already decidied to do the BMAT test, the only thing left to obtain is personal satisfaction, and a bit of ego rubbing. Doing the BMAT test will not affect the OPs other choices. Plus, if they were going to apply again next year, then the test is great practice.

Latest

Trending

Trending