The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

because you might want to do the legal advisory side for M&A for example? im sure some setups have in house law department...or just for the simple fact that its a prestigious subject?
abrp
because you might want to do the legal advisory side for M&A for example? im sure some setups have in house law department...or just for the simple fact that its a prestigious subject?

M&A deals use Corporate Law firms to sort out legal issues generally, and that's a fairly specific role to be aiming for, far too specific to be basing your university decision on.

Law is prestigious, but Economics opens up more doors. Plus Law is ridiculously tedious - I started Law at LSE but hated it so took a year out instead.
Desperate For Shoulders
M&A deals use Corporate Law firms to sort out legal issues generally, and that's a fairly specific role to be aiming for, far too specific to be basing your university decision on.

Law is prestigious, but Economics opens up more doors. Plus Law is ridiculously tedious - I started Law at LSE but hated it so took a year out instead.

I understand that economics opens more doors, however studying law gaurantees a career as a lawyer minimally, and it'll be my contingency. I hope to use my experience in the IBanking industry to springboard me into the top-tiers MC firms. Of course, I'm perfectly fine with working as a consultant in the big4 or working as a lawyer too; it's just that i'm exploring all my possible options now, opening as much doors as i can possibly open now.
melsonchun
I understand that economics opens more doors, however studying law gaurantees a career as a lawyer minimally,

This is absolutely not true, a Law degree does not guarantee you anything whatsoever, so many good Law students can barely get a Vac Scheme, let alone a job.
Reply 5984
Will Maths and Economics at Warwick give me a good chance of getting into FO IB roles. Also, is a pure economics degree is preferred to a M+E degree both from warwick for IB banks.

Sorry to ask again but no one answered it last time.
M & E is hardcore. But Economics is awesome. How mathematical a role do you want after Uni? thats the qs and will also provide the answer.
Reply 5986
abrp
M & E is hardcore. But Economics is awesome. How mathematical a role do you want after Uni? thats the qs and will also provide the answer.

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure about how mathematical but not too much as I want to work with clients and do deals. I'm really unsure of the FO job specific roles so just want to make sure that I'm not limiting my options and that I could get the same jobs as an econ grad could get. Or if an econ grad will have an advantage if from same standard uni e.g. warwick.
Is there any real advantage/disadvantage in picking either Maths and Economics at LSE or Maths and Stats at Oxford over each other for getting a FO job in capital markets/M&A? What about for trading?

(I haven't got the LSE offer but just wondering incase I do at some point during the next few months)

Thanks
8 Horizontal
Is there any real advantage/disadvantage in picking either Maths and Economics at LSE or Maths and Stats at Oxford over each other for getting a FO job in capital markets/M&A? What about for trading?

(I haven't got the LSE offer but just wondering incase I do at some point during the next few months)

Thanks

Some might claim locational advantage. But personally, I don't think there is much of a tangible difference between the two.
I just feel compelled to mention that there has never been a thread full of so much BS....

I pity anyone who makes their university or career choices based on what they have read on this page.
DorianGrey
I just feel compelled to mention that there has never been a thread full of so much BS....

I pity anyone who makes their university or career choices based on what they have read on this page.

Indeed.

Coming from a non-econ/finance/maths/science and non-oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial background, I didn't have much trouble getting interviews. Now I'm working in ER and also participate in the process of reviewing CVs, education is meaningless to me (because it doesn't take long to learn finance, the underlying skills are key), I only focus on work experience, extra-curriculars and motivations.
oblivious
Indeed.

Coming from a non-econ/finance/maths/science and non-oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial background, I didn't have much trouble getting interviews. Now I'm working in ER and also participate in the process of reviewing CVs, education is meaningless to me (because it doesn't take long to learn finance, the underlying skills are key), I only focus on work experience, extra-curriculars and motivations.

Are you trying to tell me that it's a rounded personality and some common sense that gets you far, not studying Econ at Cambridge?!? This is controversial news indeed...
DorianGrey
Are you trying to tell me that it's a rounded personality and some common sense that gets you far, not studying Econ at Cambridge?!? This is controversial news indeed...

Not many people seem to grasp this idea from the CVs we've been sent.
Reply 5993
oblivious
Indeed.

What did you study and where if you don't mind me asking?
DorianGrey

You've just realised that?...

Although as far as ballparks go, it could have been worse.
chemistry at oxford good enough to get into a top IB firm?
Reply 5996
hamzab
If you don't mind me asking, are you reapplying whilst at University or are you taking a Gap Year?

As you can tell, it's also my "possible" gap year plan to reapply to the top 5 once I'm at Loughborough/Birmingham/SOAS etc.

I'm reapplying whilst at university. I considered taking a gap year and reapplying during the gap year when I received only the Southampton offer, but decided to go anyway, but now I've decided to reapply anyway.

Yeah, I can see that. :p: Best of luck!
Reply 5997
.ACS.
I'm reapplying whilst at university. I considered taking a gap year and reapplying during the gap year when I received only the Southampton offer, but decided to go anyway, but now I've decided to reapply anyway.

Yeah, I can see that. :p: Best of luck!

So the Unis don't mind if you reapply whilst at University?

Good luck to you as well mate!
Reply 5998
hamzab
So the Unis don't mind if you reapply whilst at University?

Nope, they're fine about it. :smile:
Reply 5999
.ACS.
Nope, they're fine about it. :smile:

Oh that's good, saves me taking a Gap year then, can reapply whilst Loughborough/Brummie then so I can really lash out and apply for the Unis your applying for except for Durham and York and replace them with UCL and Oxford!

Thanks for letting me know, all the best to you! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending