The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by gradplus
That being said, if you're looking for a role in research, a degree that demonstrates this, such as history or literature (more research orientated subjects).

almsot without a fail everyone i've met in research had a background in economics/finance or a science
Original post by KLL
almsot without a fail everyone i've met in research had a background in economics/finance or a science

I agree with you KLL, in fact, the majority of people working in Investment Banking will be from an Economics/finance or a science background because they will have a demonstrable academic background with an analytical subject.

My only point was that if someone had already started their degree, this wouldn't necessarily prohibit them from entering the Investment Banking world and research related subjects for research roles can still work.

For instance, I had a friend that studied Media Studies at Southampton and got a job with Nomura as a researcher. It's important to understand that whilst the degree subject is important, as long as the interest and aptitude can be demonstrated (along with their fundamental academic requirements), a candidate from a far removed subject could still be successful.

The most important aspect is to demonstrate your interest in the world of finance and, if you have this level of interest (and this career plan), chances are you would be looking to do an economic/finance related degree anyway.
Reply 7982
Original post by gradplus
I agree with you KLL, in fact, the majority of people working in Investment Banking will be from an Economics/finance or a science background because they will have a demonstrable academic background with an analytical subject.

My only point was that if someone had already started their degree, this wouldn't necessarily prohibit them from entering the Investment Banking world and research related subjects for research roles can still work.

For instance, I had a friend that studied Media Studies at Southampton and got a job with Nomura as a researcher. It's important to understand that whilst the degree subject is important, as long as the interest and aptitude can be demonstrated (along with their fundamental academic requirements), a candidate from a far removed subject could still be successful.

The most important aspect is to demonstrate your interest in the world of finance and, if you have this level of interest (and this career plan), chances are you would be looking to do an economic/finance related degree anyway.
I'm talking about research specificaly and how a history degree won't help you much, but that in research specificaly, you're more likely to need a relevant degree.
Sure a media studies person might get into ER, but I'd probably assume he/she is probably covering media companies.
How KCL compares with the top6 target uni and Cass?

Does someone know anything regarding their MSc Accounting, Accountability and Financial Management?

Cheers
Original post by painauchocolat
How KCL compares with the top6 target uni and Cass?

Does someone know anything regarding their MSc Accounting, Accountability and Financial Management?

Cheers

Dude I have found the latest Destination report from Cass. Have a look and make up your own mind. It's not that hopeless if you graduate from Cass. However, there's a huge discrepancy between Cass and other City Departments.
Doing some research for my sis atm who's thinking/planning to go there next year.

Hope this helps.

http://www.city.ac.uk/careers/for-students-and-recent-graduates/destinations-of-city-graduates/cass-bursiness-school
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks man!

I have deferred my offer for Cass MSc Finance and I am thinking about applying to those programs and if I don't get an offer, go for Cass.

1/ LSE MSc Accounting & Finance
2/ Warwick MSc Finance/A&F/Financial Behaviour blabla
3/ HEC MSc Finance
4/ KCL MSc Accounting, Accountability and FM

2 questions:
- I want to work in London, do you think HEC can be a better choice than Warwick?
- Can KCL be a better choice than Cass?

Thanks
Can someone tell me if Product Development Analyst in Prime Brokerage and a BB IB is a front office role? Manager said it was, but just want to confirm!
Original post by painauchocolat
Thanks man!

I have deferred my offer for Cass MSc Finance and I am thinking about applying to those programs and if I don't get an offer, go for Cass.

1/ LSE MSc Accounting & Finance
2/ Warwick MSc Finance/A&F/Financial Behaviour blabla
3/ HEC MSc Finance
4/ KCL MSc Accounting, Accountability and FM

2 questions:
- I want to work in London, do you think HEC can be a better choice than Warwick?
- Can KCL be a better choice than Cass?

Thanks

In my opinion it is mainly because it's a 2 year programe if I am not mistaken so you can do a summer internship in a BB in london after the first year whereas you would have to apply for analysts positions (much more competitive) at Warwick.

Furthermore HEC's reputation is just as great as that of Warwick in London and if you were to leave London at some point, HEC's reputation would be greater elsewhere.

As for Cass vs KCL, I think Cass has a better reputation at master's level but double check.
Reply 7988
Biomedical sciences / Natural science at Cambridge/Oxford, UCL, Imperial or Warwick good enough for S&T?
Original post by Ganky
Biomedical sciences / Natural science at Cambridge/Oxford, UCL, Imperial or Warwick good enough for S&T?

Yes for all of those universities. Have met medics from Cambridge and UCL on my internships.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zweihander
Yes for all of those universities. Have met medics from Cambridge and UCL on my internships.

Quick Q. Product Development Analyst in Prime Brokerage at a BB IB - would it be considered front office?
Original post by Frenchous
In my opinion it is mainly because it's a 2 year programe if I am not mistaken so you can do a summer internship in a BB in london after the first year whereas you would have to apply for analysts positions (much more competitive) at Warwick.

Furthermore HEC's reputation is just as great as that of Warwick in London and if you were to leave London at some point, HEC's reputation would be greater elsewhere.

As for Cass vs KCL, I think Cass has a better reputation at master's level but double check.

No HEC is a 12 months program aswell (I would not choose it if it was not). Are you sure that HEC rep is better than Warwick in London? I considering moving back to Paris or Geneva if things don't go well in London, so yeah HEC might be best.

Yeah I think Cass might be superior but I know that KCL is perceived as a semi-target uni, when Cass is very criticized. Also KCL MSc is 2 times cheaper!
Reply 7992
Medicine at Birmingham or Southampton? All medical schools are very hard to get into in the UK so does it matter which university you go to if you switched to IB?
Original post by Ganky
Medicine at Birmingham or Southampton? All medical schools are very hard to get into in the UK so does it matter which university you go to if you switched to IB?

Don't you want to become a doctor?
Reply 7994
Maybe...
Original post by Ganky
Maybe...

Have you actually got a Medicine offer yet? (Click the quote button when you respond)
Reply 7996
Original post by Come At Me Bro
Have you actually got a Medicine offer yet? (Click the quote button when you respond)

Nope I'm applying in October.
Original post by Ganky
Nope I'm applying in October.

All I can say is that you'll end up hating the next 5 years+ if you're not exactly excited/satisfied about the prospect of becoming a doctor (if you're successful in getting a place at med school). You might want to rethink your options if you're having serious doubts. I'm not very knowledgable in this area but I'm pretty sure that hardly any medic grads go into IB (partly because 97% + grads go into medicine) so statistically your chances are miniscule.
Reply 7998
I know neither of these are target uni's but which would be better?
Economics at Birmingham or economics at Manchester

Birmingham seems to be higher in league tables, the taelt thread, it has a higher grade requirement and i already live near by which i like.
Although, the IB&C forum seems to lead me to think Manchester econ will be seen slightly better then Bham econ by banks for FO positions?
First class undergrad at Reading (ICMA) -> MSc (Acc&Fin) at LSE -> Big 4 (CorpFin) -> IBD BB/ top boutique
Does this sound like a realistic plan?

Latest

Trending

Trending