The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Industrious Orca
Those bold bits are my problem. You 'think'. Unless it's filling in my competency questions (which it isn't according to the rest of the bold) it isn't going to save much time cause i will have to check through it as well. I sent off around 35 applications this year, and i can tell you that 1% of the time was filling out my address, grades etc, the rest was comp questions. It's not a big deal filling out my name, address, grades etc.

ye well it obviously won't fill in competency questions because they should be unique to every application.
Myself, and the majority of people I have spoken said they would love to spend more time on competency questions, as thats the only thing unique about the initial application. You must be extremely fast at typing. Filling in at least 7 sections of generic information took me and a lot of people I know a very long time. But each to their own. Seems as though UCL, and those people supporting it on FB, would find it useful...
Original post by student222
ye well it obviously won't fill in competency questions because they should be unique to every application.
Myself, and the majority of people I have spoken said they would love to spend more time on competency questions, as thats the only thing unique about the initial application. You must be extremely fast at typing. Filling in at least 7 sections of generic information took me and a lot of people I know a very long time. But each to their own. Seems as though UCL, and those people supporting it on FB, would find it useful...

Don't get me wrong. It's a good idea. I just don't want to be the Guinea Pig on it. If in a years time everyone's going on about how great it was, then i would consider using it, but for the time being, i'm fine with the old way of filling in applications.
Original post by Industrious Orca
Don't get me wrong. It's a good idea. I just don't want to be the Guinea Pig on it. If in a years time everyone's going on about how great it was, then i would consider using it, but for the time being, i'm fine with the old way of filling in applications.

Oh I totally understand where you're coming from. Maybe they will give some free trials out at the beginning so people will trust and recommend it. I think that would be useful...just so everyone can see how reliable it is.
Is a degree from open uni a basically nono for IB?
Reply 8524
I think that the service they offer wouldn't make any mistakes otherwise to be honest, i don't think they would offer the service in the first place. Surely they would have thought of that as one of their main possible problems and fixed it.
In terms of spamming, any place u sign up to does it when you give your email address, its just really easy to opt-out.
Hack into your email address? This is a company that appears to have been supported by UCL...don't think they would attach their name to something that would do that. Plus with loads of people not being able to secure places with companies, I think helpyouapply are going to be teaming up with some SME companies to offer their customers more possibilites for jobs...so they would probably be helping us out?
In terms of leaving a trail..that is impossible. I'm not sure if you have filled in applications for internships,etc before? This company is only actually filling in your generic information, i.e name, address, grades, etc. Plus you are the one who clicks send on your application. So for example, lets say helpyouapply fills in 10 applications for you in like 3 days, all you do is answer the personal questions, check it through quickly, and click send.
Tbh, its actually receiving a lot of support from university students who have filled in applications. Plus as i mentioned, I think the fact that its been credited by UCL and one of their students are running it, don't think anyone would be an idiot to use it. I study at UCL, i secured an internship with a top bank, and I would definitely use it.

Does it also fill out thinks such as uni and work experience? Cause that costs a surprisingly large amount of time for me and I might consider that. How do they make money?
Original post by KLL
Does it also fill out thinks such as uni and work experience? Cause that costs a surprisingly large amount of time for me and I might consider that. How do they make money?

ye they should be. it will focus on mainly internships, year placements, graduate schemes and spring insight weeks. But on request they can fill in any forms you like. They make money from customers using the service. From what I've heard its gonna be like £1.50 an application, or something ridiculously cheap like that, and the more you need filling in the cheaper it is.
Quick question, which course/university is most likely to make it into front office IB?

Accounting & Finance @ Warwick
or
Economics @ Bristol/Bath/Nottingham
or
Maths @ Durham/Bath/Bristol

??
Original post by Unthinkable
Quick question, which course/university is most likely to make it into front office IB?

Accounting & Finance @ Warwick
or
Economics @ Bristol/Bath/Nottingham
or
Maths @ Durham/Bath/Bristol

??

Definitely A&F at Warwick. Only one there that's in the top 5 targetted unis by IBs, and their A&F course has a good rep for getting people into FO IB. The rest of them are near enough equal.
Original post by Confused101
Definitely A&F at Warwick. Only one there that's in the top 5 targetted unis by IBs, and their A&F course has a good rep for getting people into FO IB. The rest of them are near enough equal.

Thanks i thought that would be the answer! What would your advise be for someone starting A&F at Warwick this October in terms of what to do in the big summer break after final A2 exams and during first year of university. I know it seems lazy to ask a question like this but i would like to give myself the best chance at a job in IB then even if i fail i have something decent to fall into that is not so competitive like accountancy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Unthinkable
Thanks i thought that would be the answer! What would your advise be for someone starting A&F at Warwick this October in terms of what to do in the big summer break after final A2 exams and during first year of university. I know it seems lazy to ask a question like this but i would like to give myself the best chance at a job in IB then even if i fail i have something decent to fall into that is not so competitive like accountancy.

Well I'm starting university this year too, and it may even be at Warwick to do A&F as well! Haven't yet firmed yet gonna decide soon though.
But you've got the target university now, so the rest of the work needs to be done on yourself. I.e. boosting up your CV and improving your interview skills.
Try get some work experience, banks like any kind even working in supermarkets (they're looking for evidence of things like coping with stress, teamwork, etc), maybe take up some sports or other activities you cant put on your CV if you haven't already? And during university joining societies and stuff are useful I hear.
Original post by Confused101
Well I'm starting university this year too, and it may even be at Warwick to do A&F as well! Haven't yet firmed yet gonna decide soon though.
But you've got the target university now, so the rest of the work needs to be done on yourself. I.e. boosting up your CV and improving your interview skills.
Try get some work experience, banks like any kind even working in supermarkets (they're looking for evidence of things like coping with stress, teamwork, etc), maybe take up some sports or other activities you cant put on your CV if you haven't already? And during university joining societies and stuff are useful I hear.

okay great thanks mate
Reply 8531
Quick question:

I know it would not be as solid as a quantitative degree from one of the 'target universities' but I'd like an idea of how (MEng) Chemical Engineering at The University of Birmingham would stack up in comparison (providing a first or 2:1 and A*AA at A2). Birmingham is ranked highly for Chem Eng (3rd in Guardian rankings), would this be of any relevance?
Reply 8532
doesn't get much quantitative than chem engineering... except maths
Reply 8533
if you got A*AA- how come you ended up in Bham ?
Reply 8534
Original post by Txi
if you got A*AA- how come you ended up in Bham ?

Didn't give IB much thought and picked the best option for chem eng outside of London. Wasn't predicted the A* either. Long story.
Reply 8535
ye they should be. it will focus on mainly internships, year placements, graduate schemes and spring insight weeks. But on request they can fill in any forms you like. They make money from customers using the service. From what I've heard its gonna be like £1.50 an application, or something ridiculously cheap like that, and the more you need filling in the cheaper it is.

No,no I meant, does it also will out the education and work experience section of the application forms?
Anyway, 1.5 is a bit steep.
Original post by KLL
No,no I meant, does it also will out the education and work experience section of the application forms?
Anyway, 1.5 is a bit steep.

Oh okk, ye it does. fills in everything apart from the answer to personal questions. really 1.5 is steep? with a discount..i wouldn't complain if I had to pay £10 to fill in like 15 applications. seeing as ucas charges like 22+ for what it does. how much would you expect it to be?
Reply 8537
Oh okk, ye it does. fills in everything apart from the answer to personal questions. really 1.5 is steep? with a discount..i wouldn't complain if I had to pay £10 to fill in like 15 applications. seeing as ucas charges like 22+ for what it does. how much would you expect it to be?

Don't know. A flat fee possibly? But 50 quid for 30 apps, not really a good deal.
Original post by KLL
Don't know. A flat fee possibly? But 50 quid for 30 apps, not really a good deal.

no wont be 50, more you do, more discount. with 30 apps, you'll be looking at 30 quid max,
no wont be 50, more you do, more discount. with 30 apps, you'll be looking at 30 quid max,

This is obviously your business. Every single thread I click on you've either advertised it or answered a question saying why it's so amazing. Subtle advertising :cool:

Whilst it is a good idea in theory, I just can't see anybody trusting it with their details and applications at this stage, however once it's more well known that may change.

I can't see anybody paying (especially broke students) when it doesn't take THAT long to fill out an application. It would work better as a free tool and then you can use that to leverage other ideas that you can charge for such as subscribing to an email with a list of all opportunities, or a CV/Cover Letter service etc. Just some food for thought.

Latest

Trending

Trending