The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

v2006
A few people on this forum are saying cass ug is targeted by the likes of Goldman Sachs and others.
Have these people stated what roles?
Reply 1581
I am pretty sure they said some FO role.
Reply 1582
If they (as I suspect) mean by "target" that they go to their careers fair, that would be true of a lot of places. Especially in London, where's there's little cost of going to the careers fair.
Reply 1583
Drogue, if a certain bank like JPM sponsor the department society, how exactly do they contribute?
ma2k5
Just for your information, CASS Undergrad courses are not a target for IB, not even close. You got to have a postgrad from CASS to stand a chance, AFAIK. The UG courses are pretty much city-uni standard, CASS's name is on its PG courses. Just take this into account before you pick CASS UG courses over others!

to stand a chance?

I doubt it, I think someone with a First in IFRM would have a chance at FO, Cass is better than it used to be and to suggest someone with a first would have no chance is a bit extreme, sure they won't have the same chance as someone with a degree from UCL, Oxbridge, LSE, Bristol and Imperial, but because of the location and the year placement, I'd put them at the same level if not above Nottingham and Manchester.
Reply 1585
The IFRM course is actually targeted by Goldmans, theres a thread about in the City Uni sub-forum
Heres one i cant get my head around.

Does LSE Bsc Management have a shot at FO? (Providing good ECs 2.1 etc)
Reply 1587
If CASS is targeted by GS, I am 100% sure ALL banks target Management LSE students.
v2006
If CASS is targeted by GS, I am 100% sure ALL banks target Management LSE students.

Cass is not targeted per se, only a course is.
Reply 1589
v2006

Its spelt Cass, not CASS.
v2006
LSE is a target uni anyway, is it not? I thought we got over the fact that if you attend one of the top few universities, that uni rep > course, i.e. just about any course at LSE, including Management, stands a good chance.

fblade
Its spelt Cass, not CASS.
Pedant :p: Actually, there's nothing wrong with the spelling :wink:
Reply 1591
Mustard why did you refer your first sentence to me? Steve2006 asked the LSE question...
cheers for answering my question.
Reply 1593
This thread seems to receive alot of attention so I'll ask this here. What exactly do the day to day activities of Ops in a BB bank entail?

Try not to be derogatory as that isn't helpful!

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1594
"Operations involves data-checking trades that have been conducted, ensuring that they are not erroneous, and transacting the required transfers. While some believe it provides the greatest job security with the bleakest career prospects of the divisions within an investment bank, many have outsourced operations. It is however a critical part of the bank that involves managing the financial information of the bank and ensures efficient capital markets through the financial reporting function. In recent years due to increased competition in finance related careers, college degrees are now mandatory at most Tier 1 investment banks. A finance degree has proved significant in understanding the depth of the deals and transactions that occur across all the divisions of the bank."

Google -> Wikipedia-> 2 seconds
Reply 1595
szeles
"Operations involves data-checking trades that have been conducted, ensuring that they are not erroneous, and transacting the required transfers. While some believe it provides the greatest job security with the bleakest career prospects of the divisions within an investment bank, many have outsourced operations. It is however a critical part of the bank that involves managing the financial information of the bank and ensures efficient capital markets through the financial reporting function. In recent years due to increased competition in finance related careers, college degrees are now mandatory at most Tier 1 investment banks. A finance degree has proved significant in understanding the depth of the deals and transactions that occur across all the divisions of the bank."

Google -> Wikipedia-> 2 seconds

Lol thanks, bt already read that (obviously?). Was looking for individual viewpoints of those with first hand experience, rather than the generic explanation from an online encyclopedia. But like I say, thanks for trying.
Reply 1596
Don't think there's anyone on here with ops experience. Also it's the wrong thread for that. This thread is for university and course comparison, not for questions about working in ops or IB. Please start a thread if there isn't already one.
ma2k5
Just for your information, CASS Undergrad courses are not a target for IB, not even close. You got to have a postgrad from CASS to stand a chance, AFAIK. The UG courses are pretty much city-uni standard, CASS's name is on its PG courses. Just take this into account before you pick CASS UG courses over others!

I know a fixed income trader who studied actuarial science at CASS. He is very smart and to suggest that banks will bin your application for not having the right university is stretching it. I think that it just so happens that the target universities tend to have more able students. I say this because of the difficult entry requirements and selectivity. This is not to say that a better student form another university will be overlooked due to stats.
Reply 1598
friedman
I know a fixed income trader who studied actuarial science at CASS. He is very smart and to suggest that banks will bin your application for not having the right university is stretching it.
Where did anyone suggest that? He said it was not a target, nothing about binning applications.
Drogue
Where did anyone suggest that? He said it was not a target, nothing about binning applications.

He did say you need to be a postgrad from Cass to stand a chance.

Latest

Trending

Trending