The Student Room Group
kiss__this_x
What GCSE grades and A-levels would you need to have in order to train?

I haven't seen a Paramedic degree anywhere, is it something that you apply for through the NHS after A-levels?

:s-smilie:

Certain Universities do a degree called Paramedic Science, I know Greenwich does. And you need an Alevel in a "Life science" and that's it, so just like biology or something. You obviously would get a points based offer so you'd need other A-levels or whatever as well I should think!
Coventry also do it, try googling paramedic science :smile:
I used to want to be a paramedic too!
Reply 3
kiss__this_x

I haven't seen a Paramedic degree anywhere, is it something that you apply for through the NHS after A-levels?

Some uni's require A levels in sciences, or at least one.

Others don't, usually they do a Foundation Degree or a HE Diploma which means in reality you do less studying more practical work (Which I LOVE!).

Worcester for example needs 80 UCAS points, with at least 1 A level (Anything - Incl General Studies!). So you could have 1 A level and get an offer -- the A level is simply so that they know you are able to study at a higher level.
Reply 4
Im at hertfordshire and some of my modules are shared with other health care professionals including paramedics. i don't know much about the course itself, but the uni does do it, im sure others do too
Redpanda91
Coventry also do it, try googling paramedic science :smile:
I used to want to be a paramedic too!
Me too!

Hey OP, if you have any free time I would advise attending a St John Ambulance meeting, you might meet some experienced paramedics there where you will be able to ask them questions concerning shop. :smile:
Reply 6
Hey! I'm applying to do Paramedics and like the other guys have said there is a fair few uni's that do it! :-D

I've currently applied to Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Herts, Coventry and UWE and I know Greenwich, Worcester, St Georges and a few others also do it as a foundation or full degree. Most foundation degrees only

You can also look on www.jobs.nhs.uk if you type in ambulance to the key words section. This brings up all related jobs in England and if you look through they often have Student Paramedic placements with various trusts. This is much the same as a Uni course but you do all your learning within the ambulance trust and get paid for it! Bargain!

The last thing to look for on the site is an Ambulance Assistant or technician, something like that, and thats an assistant to the paramedics. You still get to drive the ambulance and also help with all the care but just not administed medication etc. I heard it's a pretty good way to start a a career in Paramedic because your already in the environment, have proved you can handle it and are basically halfway there. This means that you should generally fly through the Uni interview or Trust student paramedic interview.

Hope that has helped you :biggrin: Now all I have to do is pass the interview, get my C1 catergory driving license, pass another driving test and I'll be on my way hehe! :smile:

xxx
Reply 7
Second paragraph on above post was meant to say...

Most foundation degrees only require 5 A*-C GCSE's and they only last 2 years generally!

Sorry :biggrin:

xx
The entry requirements vary from Uni to Uni. Most will require at least 2 A levels and quite a few require you to have a driving licence, some with C1.
If you're look for Unis that do Paramedic courses then go onto Paramedicine on UCAS which has most of them listed.
Reply 9
I used to want to be a paramedic too - these Paramedic Science degrees sound good, they didn't have them when I left school (...........looooong time ago).
As well as good GSCEs and A'Levels some decent work placement/shadowing would enhance your application to uni.
Roodie
I used to want to be a paramedic too - these Paramedic Science degrees sound good, they didn't have them when I left school (...........looooong time ago).
As well as good GSCEs and A'Levels some decent work placement/shadowing would enhance your application to uni.

They didnt have them when i left school either Roodie and that was in the 1980s but seriously its about time Paramedics were academically and practically trained to degree level as they provide a worthwhile and essential service to the general public:biggrin:
kiss__this_x

Hi kiss_this_x if u look on the UCAS website i am certain it will tell you the universities who offer this type of degree course:yes:
ZakBrannigan
Hi kiss_this_x if u look on the UCAS website i am certain it will tell you the universities who offer this type of degree course:yes:

plus the services that run HE preparation for practice for employees e.g. YAS and NEAS with the teeside uni course and the UEA course that the east anglian bit of EEAST use

edited to add

YAS want 5 GCSE at A*-C ( or equivalent) plus a level 3 qualification, cat C1 on your licence ( clean or one SP30 only) to even merit them looking at your application, based on the profile of people who have been invited to the first stage of selection the cut is quite a bit higher than that... (lots of grads, lots of people with forces / other NHS experience ... )
Reply 13
ZakBrannigan
They didnt have them when i left school either Roodie and that was in the 1980s but seriously its about time Paramedics were academically and practically trained to degree level as they provide a worthwhile and essential service to the general public:biggrin:

Aye, these degrees seem like a very good thing.

All due respect to the ambulance service!
Roodie
Aye, these degrees seem like a very good thing.

All due respect to the ambulance service!

I agree with you Roodie on that point,having a degree like this would really mean something and as we know paramedics have to learn so much stuff these days to keep up with the modern technology and drugs and stufff:biggrin:
why is it so hard to find a paramedic science degree course nowadays? ive only just turned 20 and went to college for a year to boost my points above the 200 minimal requirement and ended up going onto the Adult Nursing degree at preston uni (uclan)
They actually used to have the paramed science degree there until some smartass decided to downgrade it to a diploma :O
123 MartinH
why is it so hard to find a paramedic science degree course nowadays? ive only just turned 20 and went to college for a year to boost my points above the 200 minimal requirement and ended up going onto the Adult Nursing degree at preston uni (uclan)
They actually used to have the paramed science degree there until some smartass decided to downgrade it to a diploma :O

They're easy to find you just need to have done the diploma first as most unis want you to have the experience of working as a paramedic before they shove a load more knowledge at you.
Reply 17
Have you tried looking at Paramediccareers.co.uk they have some useful info

Latest